Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone looked into installing an on-street charge point? I live on a terraced street with on-street parking. My house has a 3 phase electricity supply and my cellar runs under the pavement in front of my house right up to the kerb. I'm wondering if it's feasible to get permission to install a private charge point on the pavement?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Sounds fine to me, but I'm sure there's a council jobsworth who'll see it as his role in life to stop you.

This little song might tickle you:

·
Registered
117 Posts
There is OLEV funding for on-street residential chargers. Talk to your council. If you work through the application process and present them with a scheme, I bet they would be interested

·
Registered
162 Posts
There is OLEV funding for on-street residential chargers. Talk to your council. If you work through the application process and present them with a scheme, I bet they would be interested
I admire your optimism! I tried asking my council about it (after more than a year of fighting for permission to get a driveway), and was told in no uncertain terms that they wouldn’t install an on-street charging point for us “because then they’d have to do it for everyone”!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,957 Posts
I admire your optimism! I tried asking my council about it (after more than a year of fighting for permission to get a driveway), and was told in no uncertain terms that they wouldn’t install an on-street charging point for us “because then they’d have to do it for everyone”!
Maybe go back and point out they'll have to anyway from 2035.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have taken part in the Oxford trials and have a cable channel in the pavement outside my house. More info about the scheme here: Go Ultra Low Oxford

The initial results of the study are here: https://www.tsu.ox.ac.uk/pubs/2019-GULO-Phase-1-Final-Report.pdf In essecne it show that cable channels like mine are liked and work well but as they are in effect a private space the council can't fund it - which is fair enough. They are advising to make it easier to seek planning permission for them though. Seems from the study the preferred option will be lamp post chargers.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Has anyone looked into installing an on-street charge point? I live on a terraced street with on-street parking. My house has a 3 phase electricity supply and my cellar runs under the pavement in front of my house right up to the kerb. I'm wondering if it's feasible to get permission to install a private charge point on the pavement?
Your situation sounds ideal as presumably it had a coal hole at some point. Don't forget that you are unlikely to have the legal right to prevent others parking in front of your house. How often is that an issue currently?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Don't forget that you are unlikely to have the legal right to prevent others parking in front of your house. How often is that an issue currently?
This is significantly helped if there is a controlled parking zone (CPZ). Before we had a CPZ i only got the space outside my door maybe 30-40% of the time, now it is more like 90-95%. This is partly because it has removed commuters etc so those who do park are neighbours who know I charge an EV and try to leave it free.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts