Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I used this location on tuesday for a splash and dash - worked perfectly.
then tonight on way home as a 'I need a charge to make it home!!'

When I charged I noticed it was only charging at 70kW not 120kW as I was expecting... then I noticed the displace said it was sharing 125kW between the chargers!!!
So it this the case that the 6 chargers are sharing 125kW or was it something due to maintenence?

·
Registered
62 Posts
125kW is shared with two chargers. Ideally leave a gap between chargers or if you have to share, try and share with a slower charging car like an older car using Chademo that's nearly full.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
125kW is shared with two chargers. Ideally leave a gap between chargers or if you have to share, try and share with a slower charging car like an older car using Chademo that's nearly full.
i was on the first charge point and he was on the last... 4 spaces between us!
he was pulling 40(something when I looked)kW and I was pulling 68ishkW that added to the 125kW. The math made sense... so it was just interesting that it appears shared across ALL the charge points not just two adjacent.

·
Registered
62 Posts
They are designed to share 125kW with two units. Next time, if you're getting a speed reduction then give Instavolt a call at the time you're charging so they can investigate. This issue has been occasionally been noticed by other users of that site.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are designed to share 125kW with two units. Next time, if you're getting a speed reduction then give Instavolt a call at the time you're charging so they can investigate. This issue has been occasionally been noticed by other users of that site.
thanks ill do that

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had this too on Instavolt where it's on ZapMap as 100kW+ but it gives less than 40kW with no one else charging. It seems like the units are capable of more, but the connection itself limits what they can provide. It's great that a charge is available but just wish the speed advertised was accurate for better planning.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got 62.5kW there last weekend with 3 vehicles charging out of 8.

TBH no problem for the i3's slower charging but understandably frustrating for others. At least the points show what they're running at.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I was at the Banbury site yesterday. 7 of the 8 chargers were in use (#7 wouldn't charge at all). I tried two different chargers - neither would offer more than 30kW for my Leaf (allegedly capable of taking 100kW) and none of the other cars was getting anywhere near their max rate either.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I was at the Banbury site yesterday. 7 of the 8 chargers were in use (#7 wouldn't charge at all). I tried two different chargers - neither would offer more than 30kW for my Leaf (allegedly capable of taking 100kW) and none of the other cars was getting anywhere near their max rate either.
The Instavolt App shows these chargers as 50kW CHAdeMO and 125kW CCS, so you won't see above 50kW here with your Leaf even if it was just you there.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was there last week in my e-Niro. No7 was down then as well but I got on the last available charger next to a Ford Mach e then went to Costa. When I got back the car was only pulling about 32 kW. The Mach e left shortly afterward and as soon as the driver disconnected my car started getting 62kW which was probably the max it could accept at that point in the charge curve.

Saw Adrian Keen of Instavolt on YouTube recently saying they are going to double the number of chargers at Ermont

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The Instavolt App shows these chargers as 50kW CHAdeMO and 125kW CCS, so you won't see above 50kW here with your Leaf even if it was just you there.
I expect you (& Instavolt app) are correct but I was relying on Zapmap which shows all chargers as 100kW. I'll install the instavolt app and see if there are any machines that Zapmap are showing as 0kW that are actually higher.
Edit > Well I've installed it but unless I give them CC details and let them take £1 they don't seem to let me see anything !

However, even if those Chad connectors are restricted to 50kW, my <30kW was way below advertised rate !

Reactions: Spike

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I expect you (& Instavolt app) are correct but I was relying on Zapmap which shows all chargers as 100kW. I'll install the instavolt app and see if there are any machines that Zapmap are showing as 0kW that are actually higher.
Edit > Well I've installed it but unless I give them CC details and let them take £1 they don't seem to let me see anything !

However, even if those Chad connectors are restricted to 50kW, my <30kW was way below advertised rate !
They do take £1 to validate your card, it then becomes charge credit. If it’s not too late you can sign up on the app with a referral code (mine is Rw9lm), which will give you £5 charging credit next time you charge via the app..

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
They do take £1 to validate your card, it then becomes charge credit. If it’s not too late you can sign up on the app with a referral code (mine is Rw9lm), which will give you £5 charging credit next time you charge via the app..
Shan't be rushing to sign up as apart from your £5 credit, there doesn't seem to be much advantage over tapping credit card. Although I've probably blown that by registering, my OH might well do so though :devilish:

Just looked at instavolt webpage https://instavolt.co.uk/location-hub/electric-vehicle-charging-station-banbury-000205 hoping for clarification but it doesn't distinguish between outputs of CCS & Chad. Afraid I neglected to examine signage closely whilst there (or maybe not mentioned ?)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Detail of the charger is on the app, image below. The only real advantage of the app, apart from the £5 credit is they give you a 1p/kWh ‘reward’ redeemable after 500kWh as a £5 credit. If you use them often it may be worthwhile. Also the live availability, again useful for busy sites I guess.
Rectangle Font Communication Device Screenshot Material property

Reactions: EricM

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
@Spike Slight hiccup in process. See my PM

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts