Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Instavolt banbury (stroud park ermont)

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  EricM 
#1 ·
so I used this location on tuesday for a splash and dash - worked perfectly.
then tonight on way home as a 'I need a charge to make it home!!'

When I charged I noticed it was only charging at 70kW not 120kW as I was expecting... then I noticed the displace said it was sharing 125kW between the chargers!!!
So it this the case that the 6 chargers are sharing 125kW or was it something due to maintenence?

#3 ·
i was on the first charge point and he was on the last... 4 spaces between us!
he was pulling 40(something when I looked)kW and I was pulling 68ishkW that added to the 125kW. The math made sense... so it was just interesting that it appears shared across ALL the charge points not just two adjacent.

#6 ·
I've had this too on Instavolt where it's on ZapMap as 100kW+ but it gives less than 40kW with no one else charging. It seems like the units are capable of more, but the connection itself limits what they can provide. It's great that a charge is available but just wish the speed advertised was accurate for better planning.

#8 ·
I was at the Banbury site yesterday. 7 of the 8 chargers were in use (#7 wouldn't charge at all). I tried two different chargers - neither would offer more than 30kW for my Leaf (allegedly capable of taking 100kW) and none of the other cars was getting anywhere near their max rate either.

#9 ·
The Instavolt App shows these chargers as 50kW CHAdeMO and 125kW CCS, so you won't see above 50kW here with your Leaf even if it was just you there.

#10 ·
I was there last week in my e-Niro. No7 was down then as well but I got on the last available charger next to a Ford Mach e then went to Costa. When I got back the car was only pulling about 32 kW. The Mach e left shortly afterward and as soon as the driver disconnected my car started getting 62kW which was probably the max it could accept at that point in the charge curve.

Saw Adrian Keen of Instavolt on YouTube recently saying they are going to double the number of chargers at Ermont

#14 ·
Detail of the charger is on the app, image below. The only real advantage of the app, apart from the £5 credit is they give you a 1p/kWh ‘reward’ redeemable after 500kWh as a £5 credit. If you use them often it may be worthwhile. Also the live availability, again useful for busy sites I guess.
Rectangle Font Communication Device Screenshot Material property

Reactions: EricM
#18 ·
The article doesn't seem to address the problem I found on my one (& probably only !) visit when with all 7 working bays occupied, nobody was getting anywhere near the advertised charging rates

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.