Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the planning application for the Instavolt chargers at Corley MSA and it includes the specification of the chargers. They seem to be made in the USA, anyway the basic spec is for output at 62 kw but pairs are linked to share the capacity available from both. Now I’ve not used an Instavolt charger yet but it seems that if one car is charging it should be possible to charge at up to 125 kw so when you turn up at a bank, do the decent thing and go to a pair that isn’t being used. It does make sense of course as one vehicle is approaching 80% charge and throttling down, more power is available on the paired charger. Well that is my reading of the spec.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I was looking at the planning application for the Instavolt chargers at Corley MSA and it includes the specification of the chargers. They seem to be made in the USA, anyway the basic spec is for output at 62 kw but pairs are linked to share the capacity available from both. Now I’ve not used an Instavolt charger yet but it seems that if one car is charging it should be possible to charge at up to 125 kw so when you turn up at a bank, do the decent thing and go to a pair that isn’t being used. It does make sense of course as one vehicle is approaching 80% charge and throttling down, more power is available on the paired charger. Well that is my reading of the spec.
Doesn't quite work like that - at least, not the second part. There are two separate but "linkable" power units. The first bit is correct - if no-one else is using the paired charger, you can get both units working for you. However, the moment that someone else is connected to the second unit then it's dedicated to them so your max becomes the 62kW available from one unit. Doesn't matter how much power they're drawing.

So in essence, yes - like Tesla superchargers, don't plug in next to someone else!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Doesn't quite work like that - at least, not the second part. There are two separate but "linkable" power units. The first bit is correct - if no-one else is using the paired charger, you can get both units working for you. However, the moment that someone else is connected to the second unit then it's dedicated to them so your max becomes the 62kW available from one unit. Doesn't matter how much power they're drawing.

So in essence, yes - like Tesla superchargers, don't plug in next to someone else!
That not what the spec sheets for the system says (on makers website),
  • each "stall" contains 3 AC to DC converters,
  • the stalls are in pairs
  • A AC/DC converter can be connected to either stall
  • More AC/DC converters can be added to an external box and shared between 8 stalls, but I don't think used in UK yet.
So unless there are software bugs to still be fixed, or the design was changed for the UK market, there is a little power sharing when a car is slow charging.

Will be very useful when installed at pubs, as people will clearly not stop eating to return to their cars once the cars get to 80% charge.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That not what the spec sheets for the system says (on makers website),
  • each "stall" contains 3 AC to DC converters,
  • the stalls are in pairs
  • A AC/DC converter can be connected to either stall
So unless there are software bugs to still be fixed, or the design was changed for the UK market, there is a little power sharing when a car is slow charging.
Those to be installed at Corley have only 2 converters each rated at 32.5 Kw each so 65 for each unit or 130 for a pair. Note the machines are named Chargepoint 250

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Those to be installed at Corley have only 2 converters each rated at 32.5 Kw each so 65 for each unit or 130 for a pair. Note the machines are named
If they are keeping to the stardard design each converter will have its own contractors that let's it independently connect to either stall. (Chargepoint 250 is a product line that comes in lots of different configuration and can be upgraded after being installed with addational converters.)

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
611 Posts
The 'urinal model' is not very user friendly.

I don't think your average driver could be expected to know or care about pairs of chargers - even it it is potentially to their benefit. Nor what to do if you turn up and the only option is to make a pair.- who do you choose? (Next to a car with no occupants, I suppose, to avoid confrontation!)

Can't it be done more smartly?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,659 Posts
The 'urinal model' is not very user friendly.

I don't think your average driver could be expected to know or care about pairs of chargers - even it it is potentially to their benefit. Nor what to do if you turn up and the only option is to make a pair.- who do you choose? (Next to a car with no occupants, I suppose, to avoid confrontation!)

Can't it be done more smartly?
The load balanced chargers generally explain that they have shared power with the unit beside them, but ultimately it doesn't matter too much. It's been the same with Tesla for a long time now and there aren't many complaints or arguments about that. If there is space, t's generally just a case of being polite and explaining for the benefit of both of you that it makes sense in future to spread out for faster charging and they're generally fine. If not, you can choose to move to another stall yourself.

At the end of the day, everyone with a suitable car has the right to plug in anyways, regardless of if it slows down another person's charge. You'll all get a decent rate of charge and it's better that 2 people can plug in and charge together than only one charger where the second person just has to sit and wait or move on to try and charge at another location.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Love it!

Will we see cars driving to the far end of the row of chargers to avoid getting a glimpse of someone else’s cable? And if you are desperate, then just take the nearest available stall, but eyes forward at all times and not talking?
Mine is longer than yours!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,867 Posts
Love it!

Will we see cars driving to the far end of the row of chargers to avoid getting a glimpse of someone else’s cable? And if you are desperate, then just take the nearest available stall, but eyes forward at all times and not talking?
Only when cars become fully self-driving. :p At the moment the loose nut behind the wheel chooses based on how far the charge point is to the loo/coffee shop, or whether the other car's colour clashes with theirs. :devilish:

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
Love it!

I must say I've taken a sneaky peak at a taycan and occasionally an i-Pace when they've been charging next to me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine is longer than yours!
....but mine is thicker 😂

I must say I've taken a sneaky peak at a taycan and occasionally an i-Pace when they've been charging next to me.
I did once sneak a peak at someone’s iPace at MK Coach Station, I’d probably be drooling if I saw a taycan, makes my eGolf look completely inadequate!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts