Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall a thread whereby a newbie initiated a charge with Instavolt and noticed his card was initially debited with a £5 charge. The responder explained that IV ascertains the card is genuine and valid by charging this notional amount at the onset - subsequently deducting the actual amount as consumed by the user. Clear enough. As a 'newbie' myself, I today I initiated a charge at IV and had my first attempt aborted by a message coming up when the charge appeared to start saying 'swipe card again - swipe card again', etc. Nothing happened when I did so several times. I then replaced the tethered ccs head back into the IV device and started the procedure over from the start. This time it worked successfully. When I returned home I checked my credit card statement and found that I had two £5 debits pending - and no reconciliation following the successful completion (ie. £7.25). I feel that something is either amiss here or IV will rectify this accordingly in due course? Any and all thoughts please!

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,163 Posts
Depending on your bank it can take up to 7 working days to allow the pre-auth transactions to either drop off and return to your available balance, or be corrected to the final amount.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending on your bank it can take up to 7 working days to allow the pre-auth transactions to either drop off and return to your available balance, or be corrected to the final amount.

Thanks for that 80698! I'm with NatWest and used their Mastercard. I'll continue to monitor this... I do hope that they recognise the dual debits so close to each other on the same card are in error and cancel the first since a message had come up almost immediate saying that no charge had been consumed.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
It's a few years since I worked on card clearance, but it was a 2 stage process:

1. The Authorisation: where the 'bank' authorises the transaction at the time of the sale. The amount is then held against your account pending the clearance, but no money changes hands.
2. The Clearance: usually overnight, where the clearance file is presented to the bank and checked against various things, including the auths. Money changes hands.

The clearance could follow a few days later (e.g. if the connection to shop is lost).

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thanks for that 80698! I'm with NatWest and used their Mastercard. I'll continue to monitor this... I do hope that they recognise the dual debits so close to each other on the same card are in error and cancel the first since a message had come up almost immediate saying that no charge had been consumed.
Natwest/RBS Tend to be a little slower and more passive than some of the other banks out there from what I have seen. So I imagine they will probably keep the first £5 hanging around for about a week before dropping off and returning to your available balance, while the other will correct to the actual spend amount when the Instavolt's bank take the money and it clears (2-3 working days usually)

It will sort itself out so don't worry about it. It's very much the same practice as self-service fuel pumps if you have used them. They hold £99 when you put your card in, and then will correct the value once you finish. Some combinations of banks and fuel station operators will refund the entire hold immediately, others will change the hold amount to the amount you actually took, while a few will just continue to hold the full £99 until the transaction clears at the correct balance.

You should expect this in the future though. And some networks will take as little as £1, others will take up to £39 just for tapping your card. It's why I personally like to have a RFID Card for the networks I use and then just settle a bill for the usage afterwards. Especially since I tend to drive big miles it can really make it hard to keep track of my spending as I don't know whats coming or going from my bank balance.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
755 Posts
Nothing to worry about, I have had this several times now with INSTAVOLT, they ring fence £5 for the aborted charge as well as another £5 for the successful charge. Takes about 4 days for the cost of the successful charge to be deducted from your bank account, at this point, the 2 x £5's will disappear. Standard INSTAVOLT practice, I haven't had any aborted charges since I have remembered to authorise the bank card first and the connect the charge lead to the car as the last part of the process, instead of the other way around, like I do at most other chargers.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
It will sort itself out so don't worry about it. It's very much the same practice as self-service fuel pumps if you have used them. They hold £99 when you put your card in, and then will correct the value once you finish. Some combinations of banks and fuel station operators will refund the entire hold immediately, others will change the hold amount to the amount you actually took, while a few will just continue to hold the full £99 until the transaction clears at the correct balance.
I thought they actually changed this due to some bad press.

They originally pre-authed only £1 and at some point around 2018 a couple of the big supermarkets changed it to preauth the full £99.

They were then hit with a storm of bad press from folk who had filled up with a small amount of petrol, and then had their cards declined while trying to do their shopping because they didnt have sufficient funds in their account to cover the £99 as well as their shopping, and ofcourse it takes the banks a few days to clear it down to the proper value. So they backtracked and revered to only pre-authing £1.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I thought they actually changed this due to some bad press.

They originally pre-authed only £1 and at some point around 2018 a couple of the big supermarkets changed it to preauth the full £99.

They were then hit with a storm of bad press from folk who had filled up with a small amount of petrol, and then had their cards declined while trying to do their shopping because they didnt have sufficient funds in their account to cover the £99 as well as their shopping, and ofcourse it takes the banks a few days to clear it down to the proper value. So they backtracked and revered to only pre-authing £1.
I'm not exactly keeping up to date with what fuel stations since I have been driving EVs for years now, but I did take a family member's car to Costco a few days prior to lockdown and filled the tank for them. My mobile banking gave me a notification to say it did a £99 pre-auth and about 10 minutes later another notification to show that it had been reversed and a new pending transaction for the amount I actually spent had been added.

I'm sure they were forced to stop only holding £1 like Costco did the time I used their fuel station previously because loads of people were being plunged into their overdraft as a result of not making suitable checks that their customers could afford it. That was the last thing I heard about it in the news but you could be totally right and I just haven't paid attention.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not exactly keeping up to date with what fuel stations since I have been driving EVs for years now, but I did take a family member's car to Costco a few days prior to lockdown and filled the tank for them. My mobile banking gave me a notification to say it did a £99 pre-auth and about 10 minutes later another notification to show that it had been reversed and a new pending transaction for the amount I actually spent had been added.

I'm sure they were forced to stop only holding £1 like Costco did the time I used their fuel station previously because loads of people were being plunged into their overdraft as a result of not making suitable checks that their customers could afford it. That was the last thing I heard about it in the news but you could be totally right and I just haven't paid attention.
Wow! What a smashing number of replies to my query! Many many thanks to you all and I'm really grateful for the amount and depth of information contained in all of them. I'd heard early on that EV types were a friendly and knowledgeable lot and loved nothing better than sharing their interests with each other. You are certainly proving the point!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

Yeah having had a quick look earlier after i posted, theres some blub on Visa's website about a new much faster system for processing the pay at pump transactions. So instead of preauthing 99 and it then sitting there for 3 -5days while the bank sorts itself out, the process now happens more or less instantly, with the reconciliation happening within a few minutes of the transaction completing. So they can now pre-auth the full amount, and it seems the bank can also feed back a lower value as part of the process. So if they try to preauth £99, and theres only £50 in the account the bank can pass that back to the pump and only allow a max of £50 to be drawn.

So i guess its a bit of both.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts