Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I head out to try my first rapid charging as a test before ever needing to charge 'in anger'.
I'd concluded from other threads that Instavolt was the way to go for me - avoiding apps and such.

First test: Went to nearest Instavolt. Tried tapping the card on the screen - no joy / not recognised, try again - no joy etc. Moved to adjacent charger which a chap had just been using successfully - same outcome. Called Instavolt and got a free charge (nice), but hadn't had the smooth test I was hoping for.

Second test: Same handy Instavolt location a few days later. Tapped card on screen - no joy / not recognised, tried again - ditto, tried again - success! but still not the smooth test I was hoping for.

So I feel I'm experiencing pilot-error... is just 'tapping' the card over optimistic? Perhaps I'm too used to shop contactless that reacts instantly?
Should I be holding the card to the screen once until it responds or have I just been unlucky?

All advice welcomed
TIA

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,366 Posts
Most chargers like you to hold the card (RFID or contactless) flat for a few seconds whilst it reads it. Don't know why, it's just a quirk.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
299 Posts
Was that first test at Dunnington by any chance? Had the same experience there. can’t fault the response of a free charge.

Used one of the four instavolt rapids at Booths in Windermere yesterday. Read the card and started fine. The car is set for a max charge of 80% on DC. Got back to see an error on both the charger and the car so I didn’t have to swipe my card to end the charge session.

It had charged to 80%. I suspect something about the way the Niro ends the charge session upset the instavolt but I’m guessing tbh.

At least so far I’ve only been charged the £5 preauthorisation, not the £10 something the vend actually cost.

So not as smooth as it should have been, scary error messages will upset some people, but I got the charge so can’t really complain.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I found that having a backup card is helpful. One of my cards seemed to get blocked and wouldn't work at all on the Instavolt chargers whereas the other was fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was that first test at Dunnington by any chance? Had the same experience there. can’t fault the response of a free charge.
.. t'was Bannatyne's at Nether Poppleton. Certainly handy that they can fettle and start a charge remotely.

Reactions: idiotzoo

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
299 Posts
When the instavolt on the A1079 at Dunningtin wouldn’t accept cards, I tried four. It could read then but said payment failed.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I've had this problem. I now wonder if the card wasn't accepted because the number of 'slap-ons' had been exceeded and it needed a full PIN entry, which the posts don't do. Both chargers refused it. My other card worked 1st time.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
59 Posts
Did the card reader say it was ready to accept card? I thought you had to press charge on main screen after connecting to car before the card would read? Appologies if I've misunderstood your op. Carl.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
299 Posts
Depend on the charger. The latest versions have a full colour screen, older units have small LCD dot matrix that give much less away.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm in discussion with my bank at the moment. They have admitted to sending messages to the chargers asking for pin entry to prove I'm really me. I've explained the situation and told them it's not good enough. I'll give them a chance to rectify before naming and shaming them..

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,158 Posts
I'm in discussion with my bank at the moment. They have admitted to sending messages to the chargers asking for pin entry to prove I'm really me. I've explained the situation and told them it's not good enough. I'll give them a chance to rectify before naming and shaming them..
That's not really down to your bank. It's a mix of the charger company and the card processing network. Its not going to change unless they add chip and pin terminals to the chargers or new rules are brought in to allow continued use of contactless without PIN verification.

You could get around this by using something like Apple Pay to verify your transaction without the usual contactless limited, get a RFID card for the chargers, or use the app for the chargers (In the case of Instavolt, this would be the Chargepoint app or RFID cards)

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,158 Posts
I've never had a problem until just recently, it's something they have done.
It's not something that always happens. Only if you have used your card without PIN entry for a long time, or have done a lot of contactless transactions or hit a threshold amount in contactless transactions recently. Or sometimes it is just a random check. You must complete a Chip&PIN Transaction to make contactless work again.

The point is whether you go with the best bank or the worst bank, or even just use a prepaid credit card, they will all behave the same way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This then renders the whole push to make charging contactless a complete joke. I've been using Instavolts since they first appeared and this is the first time I've had a problem. I'm suggesting it's this security checking that's new and needs to be relaxed, or the thresholds have recently changed and need lowering. This cant be right. If it is right we need to set a warning that contactless chargers are no use.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Easiest solution is to have Apple Pay or Android pay as a back up if you don't have more than one card. As mentioned it doesn't suffer from the "too many contactless transactions between pin transactions" issue.

Also handy if you forget your wallet, and in these times where you're trying to minimise touching things as there is no contactless transaction limit like there is with a regular debit card. (Eg you can pay for an entire shopping contactless with Apple Pay/Android pay that you couldn't without using a PIN with a card)

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,366 Posts
I'm suggesting it's this security checking that's new and needs to be relaxed, or the thresholds have recently changed and need lowering. This cant be right. I
It's happening to me so often (not at chargers, but in normal use). Started about a month ago and it's happening about ever 4 or 5 transactions. It's starting to get really annoying.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,366 Posts
Easiest solution is to have Apple Pay or Android pay
Can't this be a problem on some chargers? I've seen on other threads that sometimes the charge won't end because the pay code at the start can be different from the end.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts