Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a bit of a dumb question but I'm curious.
Cloud Sky Car Street light Vehicle

These Instavolt chargers have green lights at the top when they're free. I plugged my Kona in to the left stall and it changed to a pulsating blue light. A bit later the Lexus on the right arrived and plugged in with the rightmost chager showing a steady blue light.

What's the difference? When does the blue light pulse and when is it steady?

Reactions: sungrad

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At a guess one is to indicate plugged in and charging and the other plugged in but not charging (because session not yet started or has finished).
No, I checked the screen when I went back out and they were charging. I could see both units from my seat in Costa so I know their unit showed solid blue from the start.

One option I considered was that as these units share power perhaps it was indicating that I got some kind of priority for plugging in first but then I'd have expected the other one to start pulsing when I stopped my charge. Or perhaps it was showing that I had used the app rather than a credit card but what's would be the point of that?

EV database says a Lexus U300e is Chademo max 35kW DC charging. So perhaps the difference was CCS versus Chademo or perhaps it was indicating priority for the load sharing but the Lexus didn't pull enough for it to consider limiting power to the other side.

I didn't check the peak power in the car but from the app while drinking my coffee I'd worked out the Kona had averaged 64kW over the first 16 minutes (the charge history now says in 32 minutes 8 seconds I got 28.932kWh so 54kW average for the whole session).

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
"
The station’s glowing LED indicator shows you real-time charging status:

Green: ready to charge (blinking green means a schedule is set)
Blue: plugged in (pulsing blue means station is actively charging car)
Red: something’s up – contact Support
White: not connected to WiFi (blinking white means the station needs to be activated)
"

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"
The station’s glowing LED indicator shows you real-time charging status:

Green: ready to charge (blinking green means a schedule is set)
Blue: plugged in (pulsing blue means station is actively charging car)
Red: something’s up – contact Support
White: not connected to WiFi (blinking white means the station needs to be activated)
"
Pretty sure the Home Flex charger isn't 125kW capable. The Express 250 manuals look more the thing but they still don't say what the lights mean.

The thing is the other car plugged in and got a steady blue light and while I can't remember how much charge it was showing on the screen it certainly had been charging when I looked at it.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I doubt Instavolt rapids use WiFi

Pretty sure the Home Flex charger isn't 125kW capable. The Express 250 manuals look more the thing but they still don't say what the lights mean.

The thing is the other car plugged in and got a steady blue light and while I can't remember how much charge it was showing on the screen it certainly had been charging when I looked at it.
I took a guess and was suggesting that maybe the home units might follow the same LED status light conventions as their rapid units.

This relates to the Express 250 units specifically, but doesn't offer too much detail...
"Under the swing arms is the LED status light, which shows whether the station is Available (green) or In Use (blue)."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts