Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed. I wonder how long before vandals start pressing stop for the fun of it, or other drivers who think their needs take priority?

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,169 Posts
Are you just referring to their new HPC's? If so I think they're still trying to find a way to update the software to require authentication to end a charge. It's a manufacturer thing, not an Instavolt thing.

I used one of their original 50kW units just under a week ago and still had to use my card at that one.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Tried fast charging at an EBS station yesterday in Coventry. First time using one. Was trying to figure out how to use it and in doing so, accidently cancelled a Tesla's charge. When I finally got mine working the screen stayed on. Seems anyone can cancel anyone's charge accidentally or deliberately. Is this the norm?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Tried fast charging at an EBS station yesterday in Coventry. First time using one. Was trying to figure out how to use it and in doing so, accidently cancelled a Tesla's charge. When I finally got mine working the screen stayed on. Seems anyone can cancel anyone's charge accidentally or deliberately. Is this the norm?
The ESB Chargers are typically made by Efacec. Their chargers can charge on AC and DC at the same time, so tapping your card will pull you out of their session to the start screen allowing you to pick your connnector and start again. Are you sure you stopped their charge and didn't just hide their session? There's also the possibility that their car had simply finished charging already.

Unless a charger is in free vend mode, or it is one of the new Tritium HPCs that Instavolt (and also Ecotricity soon) are starting to roll out, then there shouldn't be any way you can stop someone else's charge without hitting the big emergency stop button.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Free vend mode? Do you mean using a debit card to pay rather than their RFID card/app? I was using my debit card. Trying to avoid collecting a plethora of cards, fobs and apps. Could be the Tesla was also using a debit card. ESB charge £4 a month to get charging at a rate of 25p per kWh. Debit card is 29p. At the moment my mileage is too low to require public chargers but I was testing the process just in case.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Free vend mode?
If a charger loses it's commmunication with the server for whatever reason, some of them will go into what is known as free vend mode. It allows you to just plug in and start charging, with no authorization or cost.

All the chargers I have used are able to recognize one credit card from another. I don't see that being the problem.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well the only way to test this is to go to a station and deliberately attempt to cancel someone else's charge. Hope I don't cancel the same Tesla driver or he'll think I've got it in for him. :) I can definitely cancel my own charge without presenting by debit card again or unlocking my car. If I can then anyone can.!
I'll try and catch someone else using one and ask them. Might just be an ESB thing.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
So if you plug in and start charging, and give it more than about a minute of charging, you can just press the stop button on the ESB Charger and it will let you stop charging without asking for you to present your card again? That definitely shouldn't be the case!

Just to be sure, the charger you used. Did it look like this? (colors may vary) If so I haven't used one from ESB, But I have used them on several other networks including Ecotricity, Electric Blue and Chargeplace Scotland, and they all ask you to use your card/app to end your charge session.

QC45.jpg

·
Registered
394 Posts
So if you plug in and start charging, and give it more than about a minute of charging, you can just press the stop button on the ESB Charger and it will let you stop charging without asking for you to present your card again? That definitely shouldn't be the case!

Just to be sure, the charger you used. Did it look like this? (colors may vary) If so I haven't used one from ESB, But I have used them on several other networks including Ecotricity, Electric Blue and Chargeplace Scotland, and they all ask you to use your card/app to end your charge session.

View attachment 134833
Yes that's the one. I left my car for 20 minutes did a quick shop at Sainsbury's and returned to find the screen showing me how much I'd charged and how much I'd spent. I called the ESB helpline number and asked the guy a question about whether there was a fixed charge (he said no) then called again when I returned to ask about the screen and he said that's normal which can't be right. Many areas are full of hits who would love to cancel charges if they could.

When I started the charge there was sign saying "press any button". There are 4 buttons. a button on the top left with a red cross and one on the top right with a green tick. The bottom two don't do anything. Pressing the green tick does nothing as the charge only started when I locked the car. Pressing the red cross stops the charge.

Is a single unit only capable of charging one car ? Perhaps that's my problem. There was plenty of space in front of the unit to park 2 cars. There was a Tesla already plugged in and then I showed up. The Tesla was using one cable and I picked the CCS. I then pressed a few buttons to get it to read my debit card and in doing so cancelled the Tesla.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
All the Instavolt rapids I’ve used over the last two years (the black 50kW CCS/Chademo Tritium ones) have always allowed stopping the charge by just pressing the stop button. I’ve never had to re-present the debit card.

Unlike CPS rapids where you have to use the RFID card or app to terminate a charge prematurely.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I used an Instavolt recently in Cheltenham. Used my Chargepoint card to start it but Stop button was visible during whole charge and did not need card to stop it. Just pressed stop. I stayed with car so not an issue. They definitely need to change this to stopping with a card.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Those Efacec chargers absolutely do 2 cars together. I've charged my Zoe on AC while a LEAF charges on DC for example. It can't do 2 DC connections at the same time however and will say there's not enough power.

I've also never seen this brand of charger allow a paid vend to end without authorisation.

It sounds like ESB have given these chargers some really weird custom software configuration.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I agree with some of the replies here - Every instavolt charger I’ve used over the last few years (which isn’t the new type admittedly) you just press stop to cease charging. You’ve never needed to present the card again.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Those Efacec chargers absolutely do 2 cars together. I've charged my Zoe on AC while a LEAF charges on DC for example. It can't do 2 DC connections at the same time however and will say there's not enough power.

I've also never seen this brand of charger allow a paid vend to end without authorisation.

It sounds like ESB have given these chargers some really weird custom software configuration.
I think most of the new InstaVolts are one charger per bay anyway.

Here are a couple of locations below...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I think most of the new InstaVolts are one charger per bay anyway.

Here are a couple of locations below...
I feel like I added confusion here. I was responding to an earlier post about the ESB Efacec chargers when talking about that above.

The Instavolt Tritium chargers in my experience are set up where you need to tap your card to end on the 50 and 62kW units, but their HPC units have a stop button that works at all times. People are saying here that you can just press stop on a 50kW Instavolt. That's definitely not ever been the case on any that I have used.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I feel like I added confusion here. I was responding to an earlier post about the ESB Efacec chargers when talking about that above.

The Instavolt Tritium chargers in my experience are set up where you need to tap your card to end on the 50 and 62kW units, but their HPC units have a stop button that works at all times. People are saying here that you can just press stop on a 50kW Instavolt. That's definitely not ever been the case on any that I have used.
On the 50kw units if you press the small stop button (NOT the emergency stop) it will 100% stop the charge.
The screen scrolls a message about presenting the payment card again but you can ignore it. It’s definitely not required to stop.

I must have stopped 50+ charge sessions this way up and down the country as Instavolt are my preferred network. I haven’t tried the 62kw chargers yet though.

Try it next time!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
On the 50kw units if you press the small stop button (NOT the emergency stop) it will 100% stop the charge.
The screen scrolls a message about presenting the payment card again but you can ignore it. It’s definitely not required to stop.

I must have stopped 50+ charge sessions this way up and down the country as Instavolt are my preferred network. I haven’t tried the 62kw chargers yet though.

Try it next time!
I Need to charge the i3 up anyways, so might head over to a local Instavolt this afternoon and give it a try. I think the nearest few are all 62kW but will give it a try on there to see if you can also stop the charge without my RFID Fob despite the instructions telling you to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts