Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me who is noticing that since Instavolt released their own app, fewer and fewer of their chargers seem to accept a contactless credit card? I've seen a few similar Zap Map comments recently too.

Similarly, I have found a couple that fail when trying to start a charge, and have done for a little while by the looks of it since the last charge was apparently 2 weeks ago at one of them. Normally if something went wrong they were quick to fix.

It's not the usual faultless reliability I have grown to expect from them over the years, and hopefully not a sign of things to come. They were always the option I knew I could rely on for a quick and easy charge.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,892 Posts
They also do an RFID card. If normal contactless stops working I'd be getting one of those. There's the issue with contactless requiring PIN entry every so often and that makes it fail.

First time I used an instavolt it didn't work with 2 different contactless cards so I they haven't been any better than any of the others. Worked fine with their RFID card though.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,507 Posts
I've found with contactless that after every 10 or so payments you have to do a chip & pin. So if you are near an ATM, just withdraw a tenner and this will reset the contactless method. However I also found that after driving 200+ miles from home, I still had to use my pin again. I expect it's a security measure in case of stolen or cloned cards.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
I expect it's a security measure in case of stolen or cloned cards.
Good point. They are tightening up on security with 2FA and 'usage tracking', so a sudden use 200 miles from home could trip the alarms.
May be worth calling your card company for advice, though don't expect much beyond "It'll probably be fine".

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,892 Posts
Chargers don't have PIN entry. There's no way I'd use an ATM as they're often home to card skimmers. It's why I prefer RFID as you don't have any of that. The card has one specific use and can't be misused for something else.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
However I also found that after driving 200+ miles from home, I still had to use my pin again
If banks are doing this, then contactless payments will become an issue for all chargers and vending machines without pin pads. One issue is criminals using locations they are unlikely to be detained at to check if cards have been reported missing then the AI software leaning these are high risk locations, so if a charger using the same backend system as vending machines.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
199 Posts
With the limits on contactless rumoured to be increasing to £100 soon, I expect more of these ‘verify by PIN’ requests forthcoming. They do take Apple pay and Android pay which are authenticated methods of payment so they should be fine. I know not everyone has them but it is a method for anyone who has set up cards in their phone.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Similarly, I have found a couple that fail when trying to start a charge, and have done for a little while by the looks of it since the last charge was apparently 2 weeks ago at one of them.
I have a Skoda CITIGOe and on certain models of Instavolt charger, after I've waved my debit/credit card, the charge appears to start but then immediately aborts, with no power consumed. The fault lies in something going wrong during the handshake phase between car and charger, in this case because I've already switched the car off and taken the key out. Luckily there is a reliable workaround. I simply switch the car back on, reinitiate the charge, and now it works as the handshake succeeds. Once I see the charge is up and running, I switch the car off again, take the key out, lock the car and wander off in search of a loo and/or coffee ...

Not saying this is the problem you have reported, but worth a try?

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
608 Posts
I've found with contactless that after every 10 or so payments you have to do a chip & pin. So if you are near an ATM, just withdraw a tenner and this will reset the contactless method. However I also found that after driving 200+ miles from home, I still had to use my pin again. I expect it's a security measure in case of stolen or cloned cards.
I've used contactless exclusively since last year and not once had to enter my pin. I've forgotten my pin so if I ever do get asked for it it will cause an issue!
Using an ATM isn't a very good option for credit cards as you'll generally be charged a cash advance fee and pay interest on it from the date of withdrawal.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,507 Posts
I've used contactless exclusively since last year and not once had to enter my pin. I've forgotten my pin so if I ever do get asked for it it will cause an issue!
Using an ATM isn't a very good option for credit cards as you'll generally be charged a cash advance fee and pay interest on it from the date of withdrawal.
That is surprising, but I suppose it's down to your bank. lloyds/Halifax/Bank fo Scotland and Santander/Cahoot will fail contactless payments regularly, requiring chip & pin to validate I am the card holder. Also might be where you live - in a dodgy area = more security checks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Really. You need to speak to your bank.
Contactless cards only allow so many transactions and then a pin transaction is required which proves you are in possesion of the card and then the process carries on until the next pin transaction is required.
What you are saying is that any one could use your contactless card numerous times provided they stay under the £45 limit. No security there.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,507 Posts
Contactless cards only allow so many transactions and then a pin transaction is required which proves you are in possesion of the card and then the process carries on until the next pin transaction is required.
What you are saying is that any one could use your contactless card numerous times provided they stay under the £45 limit. No security there.
It's probably the bank of AntanDec

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh Boy - In under 9 years, ICE cars are outlawed. They're going to have to get this payment nonsense sorted because us mugs with EV's seem to put up with all sorts of crap but once the intolerants from the ICE community meet this sort of payment push back there's going to be a riot

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
608 Posts
Well it's an Amex credit card. But the transactions are generally at exactly the same places.
Agree though if I lost it anyone could rack up quite a bill, though that isn't my problem!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well it's an Amex credit card. But the transactions are generally at exactly the same places.
Agree though if I lost it anyone could rack up quite a bill, though that isn't my problem!
WOW. Simply amazing. Sadly a reflection of society today. Don't take any responsibility and pass the buck to someone else to sort out. Your bank.
Why don't you just go down the supermarket and lend your card to everyone in there on the condition they spend no more than £45 and then tell your bank you have lost it.
Oh and why don't you change your username to Robin Hood.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,153 Posts
FYI - In the Budget, Rishi Sunak stated that the contactless limit is going up to £100 later this year.
Probably because fewer people are using cash in the current situation (like me - I haven't used cash for almost a full year now!)

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
608 Posts
WOW. Simply amazing. Sadly a reflection of society today. Don't take any responsibility and pass the buck to someone else to sort out. Your bank.
Why don't you just go down the supermarket and lend your card to everyone in there on the condition they spend no more than £45 and then tell your bank you have lost it.
Oh and why don't you change your username to Robin Hood.
Because that would be fraud?
I didn't ask for a contactless card, not sure why you are so keen in your faux outrage to make it "my" problem.

Reactions: mad_rich

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,507 Posts
FYI - In the Budget, Rishi Sunak stated that the contactless limit is going up to £100 later this year.
Probably because fewer people are using cash in the current situation (like me - I haven't used cash for almost a full year now!)
if/when this happens I expect many more chip n pin validated payments, especially if you've been on a longish drive since the last contactless payment, unless you are an Amex card holder of course.

·
Registered
ID.4 :-)
181 Posts
With Contactless cards - you can ask your bank for a non-contactless card (I know I have for one of my banks). People may also wish to check with their bank/T&C's - most say the customer is liable for ANY SPEND, until they notify the card as lost of stolen - so beware.

Also it "may" be safer to actually use Google / Apple Pay via your phone - as it uses additional encryption, the card number it uses for the transaction is not the same as the physical card, and you can use security on your phone to prevent unauthorised use/spend if your phone were to be lost (finger print / face recognition), you also have the added feature (if you did loose your phone) you can block/wipe/track/switch it off remotely.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts