Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,986 Posts
I can't see the price of public charging falling when electricity prices fall.

It'll stay high for as long as it takes to build out a network that's actually big enough for this country (it's not close to being big enough just for the current EV fleet even now).

All we can hope for is that there will be just as many providers around in the future so that there are enough suppliers in the market for there to be some proper competition once demand plateaus and it becomes a commodity rather than the luxury that it is now. But for that to happen, we're all gonna have to pay more for a few years, maybe decades.

Luckily, most EV owners will be able to charge at home - but I feel sorry for anyone trying to run an EV on entirely public charging nowadays. It just isn't practical anymore.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,949 Posts
BP Pulse didn't increase their prices much - 38p on 22-50kw and 44p on 100KW+ (was 42p). Those prices for a registered user (but not a member)
PAYG are 40 & 50p respectively.
Members pay 32 and 38p + £7..85 /month.

(I've had no problems 4 times at the two locations I have used.)

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree, I don't think prices will drop. They have been selling at below cost while prices spike, and they have to balance the books somehow.

Petrol and diesel prices are up 25% this year too, so I don't think this suddenly makes public charging unviable compared with ICE. Both are more expensive

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,949 Posts
I agree, I don't think prices will drop. They have been selling at below cost while prices spike, and they have to balance the books somehow.

Petrol and diesel prices are up 25% this year too, so I don't think this suddenly makes public charging unviable compared with ICE. Both are more expensive
The difference between my Leaf and my GTE based on 9000 long distance journeys (250m each way) is now only about £350 per annum assuming public charging at 40p/kWh and 45mpg @ £1.45/l, and including the GTE's VED.

I'd rather have the lack of range and charger anxiety that a PHEV provides for the extra £1/day.

(I've excluded 3000miles of local journeys as both used 5p/unit off peak and do about the same miles/kWh.)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Prices going up is understandable given the mayhem with leccy prices for now even if the rationale for why supplier X must increase now is not clear, remember we have no insight to their hedging strategy.

In the medium term we probably want to see public charger prices coming under the watch of the consumer orgs that today track petrol prices and squawk when the garage price gets out of line with the petrol wholesale price.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,949 Posts
Prices going up is understandable given the mayhem with leccy prices for now even if the rationale for why supplier X must increase now is not clear, remember we have no insight to their hedging strategy.

In the medium term we probably want to see public charger prices coming under the watch of the consumer orgs that today track petrol prices and squawk when the garage price gets out of line with the petrol wholesale price.
In order to encourage investment by the networks, I doubt there will be any enthusiasm by Ozev to seek the power to regulate prices.

The government (HMRC) will also want EV owners to get used to high prices because there will be a plan to raise as much as they do now from VED and fuel duty.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,992 Posts
Meanwhile, wholesale prices of diesel have dropped 6p/litre, yet prices have gone up 3p/litre.

Welcome to capitalism. Where companies not only cannot justify losing money, but the owners want to get a return on their investments ...... which I still can't see with rapid chargers below about £1/kWh.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
779 Posts
Thinking of handing my Ioniq back in January when the lease is up. What with my home electric rate doubling, and now rapid chargers considerably more expensive.
I am able to get hold of a 6 year old diesel, good for 70mpg / 7-800 mile rang, £10 road tax. Bigger and more practical, and no monthly lease payments.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
935 Posts
Thinking of handing my Ioniq back in January when the lease is up. What with my home electric rate doubling, and now rapid chargers considerably more expensive.
I am able to get hold of a 6 year old diesel, good for 70mpg / 7-800 mile rang, £10 road tax. Bigger and more practical, and no monthly lease payments.
To hell with the planet!

Even with electric at double the price its still cheaper than dino juice. Octopus go is still 5p at night.

Reactions: JDleaf

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
796 Posts
Interesting. I find them pretty much equally reliable.
I was put off by a crap single unit in a crummy car park in Newquay that had a screen which was so faint I had to shield it from the glare to see the out of order message.

Not been near one since.

I have just checked on ZapMap and users are still reporting it as being out of service several weeks later. Not good enough.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I wonder how long Gridserve will stay at 30p. Considering it is one of the better networks and mainly at motorway services I would have expected it to be a higher price.

It is odd how the different networks have such different pricing. If you compare petrol stations within a town they all tend to be within a few pence of each other.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts