Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

used the instavolt rapid charger for the first time yesterday at Barry, south wales, impressed with ow easy it was to use. Plug in the car, tap the contacless card on screen, car starts to charge, then tap card again later to stop the charge. Very quick simple painless operation. 30p per kwh was reasonable.

Anthony.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hi all,

used the instavolt rapid charger for the first time yesterday at Barry, south wales, impressed with ow easy it was to use. Plug in the car, tap the contacless card on screen, car starts to charge, then tap card again later to stop the charge. Very quick simple painless operation. 30p per kwh was reasonable.

Anthony.
Could do with a bigger screen, I think, but otherwise good chargers. I've had a couple of failed units, but they seem to be quick to fix them once reported, and I've always been saved by their habit of putting several in at each site.

And they're impressively fast on my LEAF.

Now cheaper than EH too!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Could do with a bigger screen, I think, but otherwise good chargers. I've had a couple of failed units, but they seem to be quick to fix them once reported, and I've always been saved by their habit of putting several in at each site.

And they're impressively fast on my LEAF.

Now cheaper than EH too!
Instavolt have the most reliable rapid chargers, and I plan my journeys to leave the motorway to find them.

The biggest downside is that they are in odd places, and there never seems to be a cafe or loo nearby. This will affect their popularity when other providers eventually get their acts together.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Instavolt have the most reliable rapid chargers, and I plan my journeys to leave the motorway to find them.

The biggest downside is that they are in odd places, and there never seems to be a cafe or loo nearby. This will affect their popularity when other providers eventually get their acts together.
From my limited experience they are neither more or less reliable than any modern charger system. But they do seem quicker to sort problems out.

And there is usually facilities, if only a typical filling station. The Bannatyne sites certainly provide both, and another one I use near Chesterfield is next to both a Gregs and a Starbucks (depending on how prolitarian you feel).

·
Registered
27 Posts
We went to Ironbridge Gorge and used the Instavolt just outside Kidderminster on the way, this was the first rapid charge I'd ever done on our Leaf and it was utterly painless. The car was receiving 36kW for much of the charge and it made sure we had plenty of charge to get to the EH charger later in the day.

As much as 35p/kWh feels 'pricey' at the time it was a good compromise as we don't subscribe to any charging network schemes.

We have a new Aldi store opening 150m from our house and they have two stands waiting for Engenie tap-to-pay chargers so this may well be a model that pays off for us. On those rare occasions when the battery is low and we don't have time to charge, a rapid around the corner will be handy.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We went to Ironbridge Gorge and used the Instavolt just outside Kidderminster on the way, this was the first rapid charge I'd ever done on our Leaf and it was utterly painless. The car was receiving 36kW for much of the charge and it made sure we had plenty of charge to get to the EH charger later in the day.

As much as 35p/kWh feels 'pricey' at the time it was a good compromise as we don't subscribe to any charging network schemes.

We have a new Aldi store opening 150m from our house and they have two stands waiting for Engenie tap-to-pay chargers so this may well be a model that pays off for us. On those rare occasions when the battery is low and we don't have time to charge, a rapid around the corner will be handy.

Ecotricity just now hiking their price to 39p per kwh.

·
Registered
34 Posts
From my limited experience they are neither more or less reliable than any modern charger system. But they do seem quicker to sort problems out.

And there is usually facilities, if only a typical filling station. The Bannatyne sites certainly provide both, and another one I use near Chesterfield is next to both a Gregs and a Starbucks (depending on how prolitarian you feel).
Unfortunately the typical filling station has neither a loo nor a cafe.

Greggs and Starbucks are all very well when they are open, but if I'm on a business trip, I'm normally doing business during the day, and often travelling very early.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Unfortunately the typical filling station has neither a loo nor a cafe.
Most of them, these days, have a loo, and sell sandwiches.

Greggs and Starbucks are all very well when they are open, but if I'm on a business trip, I'm normally doing business during the day, and often travelling very early.
Starbucks generally have quite long opening hours

·
Registered
34 Posts
Most of them, these days, have a loo, and sell sandwiches.

Starbucks generally have quite long opening hours
None of the half-dozen filling stations in and around the town where I live has a loo. None of the filling stations where I have recently used Instavolts had loos. Maybe I am unlucky, does anyone have any figures on this?

I'm not about to list several experiences, but here's one example. I arrived at the filling station with Instavolt at M24 2RB at about 7.30am, having travelled well over 100 miles and needing a charge. No loos at the filling station, pub next door closed obviously. No cafe, so I tried to work in the car as it charged, but the morning sun was shining directly on the screen, and I gave up. I tried to get a nap, but my bladder was full and I was uncomfortable.

Got enough charge to get to my destination and worry about charging afterwards, so left after 20 min. Noticed a garden centre just opening nearby and stopped for a pee to find the cafe was open too, so got a fresh coffee and a sausage bap (much better breakfast than a pre-pack sandwich), and off to the meeting in Rochdale.

After the meeting I came back to the same Instavolt and got a full charge while I had a good lunch with a colleague in the pub - perfect. But had I arranged other meetings elsewhere I would have been stuffed.

I agree about Starbucks - usually open at 7am. But I need to be better at finding Instavolts with one nearby, and this takes research, and a lot of back-and-forth between Zap-Map and Google Maps, which has to be done in advance. We really need charging maps that list all the ameneties within a 10 min walk.

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
None of the half-dozen filling stations in and around the town where I live has a loo. None of the filling stations where I have recently used Instavolts had loos. Maybe I am unlucky, does anyone have any figures on this?
Did you ask? They've got to have one for the staff, at least, and they don't usually advertise them.

Filling stations that refuse to let you use the loo deserve to be peed on.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,482 Posts
In a very short space of time Instavolt have installed an impressive network of reliable accessible chargers, the investment they have made is phenomenal and it doesn't appear to be ending anytime soon.

It's a shame that the MSAs aren't open to competition as we would undoubtedly see the likes of CM and Instavolt chargers being installed their by now.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I was very pleased to see these going in at Evesham Shopping Park, Worcester Road. Combined with the two Engenie rapids going in on the South side of town it looks like we're covered.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Last Sunday our usual Ecotricity CCS charger at M5 Sedgemoor South was down. I'd heard about Instavolts going in recently at Cullompton so managed to get there with a full miles to spare (having come from M4 Membury). We charged in a dark car park outside a closed sports centre, but there was a corner shop open within walking distance (and a couple of restaurants/pubs further on) so I'd do it again - maybe even in preference to the services.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yep, we have used the Cullompton Instavolt on our way from Kent to Plymouth. The sports centre was open but to be honest the coffee wasn't that great nor the cafe area!
Our other stop, more for the loo and extra coffee was the Instavolts at Frimley off the M3. They are by a office complex that has cafe, and three or four minutes walk to a big Sainsburys.
Polar and Instavolt are now our chargers of choice on long journeys, but when Ionity are more widely available we could well use them.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I used one of these in Sudbury (Suffolk) on a very wet day in April. I'm normally an Ecotricity addict when out and about (it's cheapest) but didn't have the confidence that I would get back to Rivenhall for the charger there. I was impressed with how easy it was.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
Wightleaf
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing