Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Do you think rapids at mcdonalds are good or bad?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the confused thread going on, I would like to see a black and white Poll.
So.. Yes or No, do you think Instavolt Rapids at Mcdonalds are a good Idea?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Minus the fact that I'm going to get very fat from eating chicken nuggets every time I need to charge my car, I'd say yes it's a good thing.

More chargers is good. More chargers from a trusted charge network is even better. Striking a deal with a company like McDonald's who are pretty much everywhere in this country makes sense to me and I fail to see how many people could say its not a good thing (Admittedly I haven't paid too much attention beyond the first few posts of the original thread though)

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,438 Posts
Why would it be considered a bad thing?

How many shouting for more rapids in more easy to access locations on here over the years?

I guess some people can’t disentangle their hate for a fast food chain from some EV charging infrastructure good news.

Hopefully one of many.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You ask the question Good or Bad then have put yes and no check boxes, it's a bit ambiguous.

I do think it's a good idea, the more chargers the better. If all of those home owners who don't have a suitable parking place to add a charger they are going to need to rely on public chargers and a regular trip to McD's might just tip the balance for some. The more profitable chargers might turn out to be the ones in urban areas.

If just a few end up near trunk roads and motorways it will help.

·
Premium Member
11,692 Posts
I voted YES (good idea) but let's see how many of the drive through restaurants actually get them. Hopefully with the government investment into Instavolt they will be able to afford to reinforce supply to sites. The Tesco/VW deal resulted in only a handful of sites having a single rapid - most only have 7kW.

·
Striving for a greener planet
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 19" FSD; Renault Zoe Q210 22kWh
408 Posts
Is it yes it's bad or yes it's good? Options don't match the question...

·
Registered
219 Posts
More instavolts are good. Next to somewhere you can use clean toilets, buy a reasonably priced decent coffee (and a burger if you want one) is even better.
Will be good on some of the major A roads where McDonald’s are frequently in service/rest stops.
There’s also towns I visit like Bicester with no rapids at all - just a few 3 and 7kw posts dotted about. If the McDonald’s means the town gets some proper rapid provision then that’s all good.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,596 Posts
My home town is on a major A-road, has no public chargepoints at all, but does have both Aldi & McD's.
A rapid or 2 at either place (or even the odd 7kW post) would be good.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,447 Posts
Great idea. I know the use of instavolts is polarized for some.... but it might make a few Zoe owners consider adding the CCS option for long trips. I mean having a potentially 24 hours open McDs isn't such a crazy idea next to a rapid. Coffee and loos available is brilliant. If you don't want nuggets then don't have any... simples.

Frankly I'd happily sit with a coffee while the kids fight over the last nugget or play in the play Zoe at most McDs while topping up on a long trip. Beats sitting in a desolate car park that's 10mins walk from the nearest amenities.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
19,290 Posts
If the idea of using a McDonalds shames you, just plug-in wearing one of their brown paper bags and then walk over to KFC for your dinner.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 BMW i3 120Ah / '20 Hyundai Kona 64kWh
2,436 Posts
Have you read the first few pages of the other thread? I was gobsmacked at peoples comments.
I didn't see a single person saying the installation of rapid chargers at McDonald's was a bad thing.

To say otherwise is to completely misrepresent the discussion in the other thread.

Some people think the food on offer, and/or the eating environment is not to their taste.

Some people think it would also be good to have more rapid charging hubs with many charging units in one place so you are almost guaranteed to be able to immediately charge.

But, I didn't see anyone saying they thought these installations shouldn't happen.

Everyone, surely, appreciates that you will be able to go and charge there without buying anything from McDonald's if you don't want to.

You don't need to like eating at McDonald's to use the chargers.

·
2,436 Posts
Minus the fact that I'm going to get very fat from eating chicken nuggets every time I need to charge my car, I'd say yes it's a good thing.

More chargers is good. More chargers from a trusted charge network is even better. Striking a deal with a company like McDonald's who are pretty much everywhere in this country makes sense to me and I fail to see how many people could say its not a good thing (Admittedly I haven't paid too much attention beyond the first few posts of the original thread though)
No one said it's not a good thing.

·
2,436 Posts

How many shouting for more rapids in more easy to access locations on here over the years?

I guess some people can’t disentangle their hate for a fast food chain from some EV charging infrastructure good news.

Hopefully one of many.
No one had their dislike for the McDonald's food and/or dining environment tangled up.... this is a complete red herring.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts