Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Alessandro Giuseppe Antonio Anastasio Volta
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The charging station operator InstaVolt announced a significant partnership with the fried chicken fast-food giant KFC, which will see rapid chargers installed at up to 450 KFC drive-thru restaurants at locations across the UK and Ireland.

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
338 Posts
I had late lunch at the route 303 restaurant near Honiton whilst charging. Whilst we were there, people charging their cars all had something at the restaurant. It would have been a much quieter afternoon for them without Instavolt there. I think it would have been busier if there had been more than 2 chargers (there were always 2 cars waiting)

As long as this kind of charging location is few and far between (multiple chargers, reliable), they can be a real magnet for the nearby hospitality.

·
Registered
303 Posts
As long as this kind of charging location is few and far between (multiple chargers, reliable), they can be a real magnet for the nearby hospitality.
I think Instavolt have been smart with their partnerships recently. BP and Shell on petrol forecourts are places I actively don't want to go to. Ionity are going the motorway services route, which given the choice I'd rather not. Pod-point seem to be doing the "charge while you get your groceries" thing, which works but isn't about road-trips.

At least with Instavolt the plan seems to be, stop and eat. Sure McD's and KFC aren't exactly high cuisine, but they've also been doing other pubs and restaurants.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,168 Posts
I think Instavolt have been smart with their partnerships recently. BP and Shell on petrol forecourts are places I actively don't want to go to. Ionity are going the motorway services route, which given the choice I'd rather not. Pod-point seem to be doing the "charge while you get your groceries" thing, which works but isn't about road-trips.

At least with Instavolt the plan seems to be, stop and eat. Sure McD's and KFC aren't exactly high cuisine, but they've also been doing other pubs and restaurants.
Osprey have been following Instavolt's plan, installing rapids at many of Marston's more "foody" pubs.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Makes total sense and like the McD deal attracts those who like to know exactly what they will get to eat and drink along with WiFi and clean toilets.

The Kentucky Fat Children fare quality or otherwise is a different issue.

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
338 Posts
Pod-point seem to be doing the "charge while you get your groceries" thing, which works but isn't about road-trips.
It a very good destination charging scheme though, used it a few times when doing groceries for a self catering stay or stocking up my daughter's uni accomodation. That's how I signed up to Genie point.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,168 Posts
Makes total sense and like the McD deal attracts those who like to know exactly what they will get to eat and drink along with WiFi and clean toilets.

The Kentucky Fat Children fare quality or otherwise is a different issue.
I tend to refer to that establisment as "Unlucky Fried Kitten"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts