Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

181 - 189 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
... which is probably exactly how Instavolt sold it to MaccyDs...
Either that, or their usual business model of we'll install a couple of rapid chargers on your land for free (and even pay you rent for the space), and in return you will get passing trade for your business.

If they have done that usual deal, then it's a no-brainer for any business with the space in their car park. I'm surprised that even more roadside businesses haven't snapped up the Instavolt offer.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
they have done that usual deal, then it's a no-brainer for any business with the space in their car park
It a little more complex, as the business is forgoing the possibility of installing their own charger for the next many (I think 20) years. Hence they have to decide what the profits from charging would be if they installed a charger in a few years time when the demands are a lot higher.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
It a little more complex, as the business is forgoing the possibility of installing their own charger for the next many (I think 20) years. Hence they have to decide what the profits from charging would be if they installed a charger in a few years time when the demands are a lot higher.
It makes a lot more sense for them to stick to their core business, rather than take on a whole new maintenance liability, pay extra accountancy fees, etc. etc. Far more sensible to farm it out to a third party in return for the site rental and the potential additional custom it generates.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
It makes a lot more sense for them to stick to their core business, rather than take on a whole new maintenance liability, pay extra accountancy fees, etc. etc. Far more sensible to farm it out to a third party in return for the site rental and the potential additional custom it generates.
Maybe waiting 3 years to commit to a charging network will doubles the site rental payment?

·
Registered
180 Posts
That’s an interesting discussion, and I wonder if we’re hitting a peak for site owners being ready to install? Initially they would have been wary and wanted to see what happened, and probably would have been put off by seeing the Ecotricity fiasco on MSAs. But recently they would have seen - at a few trial sites of their own, or at competitors - that the demand for charging was increasing, and that chargers were too technical and prone to failures for you to want to handle it yourself. So it’s time you need a long-term partnership with a provider, and the market seems to have settled down to a few big players with rapids, with chunky install subsidies still available - time to cut a deal. Add the need to recoup losses from the past few months and it becomes even more overwhelming.

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
I still don’t get all the hand wringing over this announcement, we’d have been cheering from the roof tops a couple of years ago.

When did EV drivers get so picky and entitled?

Anyway, it’s obvious that McDonald’s are only interested in EV infrastructure since the launch of the Corsa-e. The ICE Corsa is the car of choice for some of McD’s most loyal customers, and you’ve gotta move with the times bruv innit....

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
It a little more complex, as the business is forgoing the possibility of installing their own charger for the next many (I think 20) years. ..
Have you got a link confirming the lease period and also whether installing other chargepoints is forbidden during the period of the lease?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Have you got a link confirming the lease period and also whether installing other chargepoints is forbidden during the period of the lease?
Sorry I don't have a link, it was in a local government document (linked from this site) talking about options for their car parks. Long term loss of income was a mager issue to the parking team, as the income funds the parking team and the lease payment did not make up for all possible lose of income. (The parking team does not get the imcome from addational spending)

181 - 189 of 189 Posts