Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Obviously a new major network, using just about the best available hardware with an ideal access system, is great news. Another positive is that all McD's are in convenient positions and usually with good 24-hour access. With food, drink and clean toilets on site. So far so good.

In fact, I find it hard to find any negatives about the project. We may suspect that ICEing could be a problem but who knows, they might have plans to overcome that. Taking issue over the catering is a matter of personal choice and as eating is not a condition of charging it is a red herring. ( Do they serve red herrings? ) In fact, whilst I'm not a fan of their offerings I have found their coffee to be perfectly acceptable as are their apple pies. And they usually don't make a fuss if someone wanders in just to use the toilets - errrr a mate tells me.

So, overall it's good.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Obviously a new major network, using just about the best available hardware with an ideal access system, is great news. Another positive is that all McD's are in convenient positions and usually with good 24-hour access. With food, drink and clean toilets on site. So far so good.

In fact, I find it hard to find any negatives about the project. We may suspect that ICEing could be a problem but who knows, they might have plans to overcome that. Taking issue over the catering is a matter of personal choice and as eating is not a condition of charging it is a red herring. ( Do they serve red herrings? ) In fact, whilst I'm not a fan of their offerings I have found their coffee to be perfectly acceptable as are their apple pies. And they usually don't make a fuss if someone wanders in just to use the toilets - errrr a mate tells me.

So, overall it's good.
The majority of their busy sites are already set up with ANPR parking management to stop park and share cowboys so not hard to add de-icer.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I remember reading they had contracted with one of the large providers as their well positioned sites meant lots of ‘meet up and leave one car’ malarkey was going on so they implemented a max stay policy enforced by cameras in/out.
Ah, here it is...

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
The majority of their busy sites are already set up with ANPR parking management to stop park and share cowboys so not hard to add de-icer.
I suspect that technology will find it difficult to distinguish between an ICE or EV driven by a legitimate McD customer and parked in a charging bay. Both would be within any ordinary ANPR management rules. And I doubt if links to DVLA will be in place to differentiate cars. Or that McD's, as a vendor of products that rings their tills, will be the slightest concerned about such issues anyway.

I did consider one potential problem though. Someone arriving to charge and either not eat, or eat inside the restaurant, would simply occupy the charging bay straight away, if it's free, and get on with it. However, if the plan is to buy a drive-thru meal followed by a charge session and use that time to eat in the car then it could go pear-shaped if another EV arrives whilst you are in the drive-thru queue. Perhaps best to occupy the bay and go inside for a takeaway meal instead of using the drive-thru. First world problems can sometimes be a bugger can't they.

Just thought of another McD site bonus. The free wifi.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I suspect that technology will find it difficult to distinguish between an ICE or EV driven by a legitimate McD customer and parked in a charging bay.
Perhaps we should start giving EV's different coloured number plates so that people can see right away if your car should be in the space or not?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I suspect that technology will find it difficult to distinguish between an ICE or EV driven by a legitimate McD customer and parked in a charging bay. Both would be within any ordinary ANPR management rules. And I doubt if links to DVLA will be in place to differentiate cars. Or that McD's, as a vendor of products that rings their tills, will be the slightest concerned about such issues anyway.

I did consider one potential problem though. Someone arriving to charge and either not eat, or eat inside the restaurant, would simply occupy the charging bay straight away, if it's free, and get on with it. However, if the plan is to buy a drive-thru meal followed by a charge session and use that time to eat in the car then it could go pear-shaped if another EV arrives whilst you are in the drive-thru queue. Perhaps best to occupy the bay and go inside for a takeaway meal instead of using the drive-thru. First world problems can sometimes be a bugger can't they.

Just thought of another McD site bonus. The free wifi.
Both the companies contracted are DVLA data users to drive their automated ‘invoicing’ for enforcement.

Yes the WiFi happily reaches the car park usually too.

·
Registered
441 Posts
yes just add another anpr camera pointing to the charging bays. Then it can manage ICEers, EVs not charging, overstays, and gives a remote overview of the chargers as a bonus. Overstay management will be welcome in a few years when we get someone sat on a rapid for 90+ mins until they achieve that 100% SOC - which they'll feel they have a right to as they are paying per kWh! I expect the charging system itself could take the payment for overstays, but why not also have the video evidence.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I really do hope they prioritise the rollout to target 'deserts' as @Big277wave puts it, and not target cities or areas that already have a lot of rapids
Don't have they a duty to their investors to target the sites that will get the most customers, eg not the middle of 'deserts'?

·
Registered
419 Posts
It's an OK idea and I'm glad its Instavolt. But really we need charging more directly accessible from main trunk routes probably where there is existing well designed off-on slip roads. Quite a few drive through McD are not really in suitable places. So, not far from me, on the A12, there is a BP station with 2 ultra rapids and a M&S take out serving coffee and cakes + food AND a co-located McD. Will be interesting to see if this site gets Instavolts.
Neither would be much use to me as it's too close to home.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I know what you mean, but it's never going to be the same, at least not until the charging time can come down to the same max-ten-minutes-per-vehicle and the number of outlets can reach the same ratio of available-chargers-per-required-car-charging-minute as petrol pumps reach at the moment.
I used to think that, but in reality most charging will still be done at home so theres no need to match the capacity of current petrol stations. My guess would be we need about one fifth of that.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
More rapid chargers, easy to use, reasonably priced, located near facilities, attracts customers to existing business, raises awareness of EVs... all positive points.

I would still rather see larger hubs (5+) of rapid chargers in one place, spaced 5-10 miles apart, rather than one or two rapid chargers scattered around an area in different locations, for obvious reasons.

What shall we do tonight? We'll go to Maccie D's, get some food and charge the car up, then come home and watch Corrie. Off we go. Drive-thru, pick up our food, go over to the charger... oh, it's occupied. Erm, we'll park up and eat our food and wait for the charger to become available. Finished our food, charger still occupied. Let's try the charger up the road then. Oh, that's not working. Back to Maccie D's then. Ah, it's free now. Charge up. Go home... oh, we missed Corrie.

Or... shall we go to Maccie D's and pick our food, then go to the new 10 rapid charger hub just down the road and eat our food?

Meanwhile, Gladys and George are travelling from up North to visit relatives down South. It's getting late and they just need a little top up charge to them there. Will they go to Maccie D's or the charging hub?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Maybe not. There's a matching McDonald's desert, according to google maps:-

Mcdonald's wales
McD are known for their extremely exacting site selection process as they are primarily a real estate company and lease many of the sites to franchisees. They don’t build where they can’t sell food profitably.

Don't forget all the housing with no driveway that also need a solution. People happy to pay £6 for a cr/happy meal would probably also be happy with flat 35p per kWh and no subscription too (just down the road).

this is a classic synergy play. We have the sites. We know the demographics and visitor stats to a fanatical degree. We can sublease you a space or 3 for charging. Both win.

·
Registered
419 Posts
This type of site is not to entice you to make a special trip to get a charge while eating fast food, it is for busy long distance travellers who need a charge and may wish to grab something to eat at the same time whilst en route.
It will not provide a good solution for those without driveways. Workplace charging would be most helpful in those cases but for some it is probably better to stick with ICE until a better solution is available.

ETA - Regular McD customers may well be the least likely group to have electric cars.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Why all the hate/dislike toward McDonalds?

As for the charging points, isn't this what most folks want, more chargers in more locations that they may frequent, or pass when doing longer journeys? Isn't this just the start or the EVolution towards more destinations/commercial establishments proving something that is needed to help adoption of BEV's?

You can't make everyone happy with one announcement, but that is just it, this is one announcement, and I bet there will be more to follow in the very near future. Also given the location of a lot of these chargers will be near motorway exits etc. it means people can avoid using that ****show called Ecotricity

·
Registered
249 Posts
This type of site is not to entice you to make a special trip to get a charge while eating fast food, it is for busy long distance travellers who need a charge and may wish to grab something to eat at the same time whilst en route.
It will not provide a good solution for those without driveways. Workplace charging would be most helpful in those cases but for some it is probably better to stick with ICE until a better solution is available.

ETA - Regular McD customers may well be the least likely group to have electric cars.
I’m sure McD will know. It will be interesting to see the site rollout.

·
Registered
122 Posts
They have to drive past the McD ‘drive past’ bins with the wide open maws with a target painted on them to achieve it too. Morons of the first order.
Problem here is those who eat their takeaway as they drive, then dump rubbish on the move. However, I’ve lost count of the people I’ve seen in a McD car park open the car door and leave it in the ground!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Problem here is those who eat their takeaway as they drive, then dump rubbish on the move. However, I’ve lost count of the people I’ve seen in a McD car park open the car door and leave it in the ground!
‘These people’ are everywhere. Parks, beaches etc too. ‘Someone else’ can clear it up.

I have watched the process.

Spread out food, drink, weed and nitrous bulbs.

Consume.

Carefully select belongings from within the mess. Leave the remainder. Empty from mind.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Why all the hate/dislike toward McDonalds?

As for the charging points, isn't this what most folks want, more chargers in more locations that they may frequent, or pass when doing longer journeys? Isn't this just the start or the EVolution towards more destinations/commercial establishments proving something that is needed to help adoption of BEV's?

You can't make everyone happy with one announcement, but that is just it, this is one announcement, and I bet there will be more to follow in the very near future. Also given the location of a lot of these chargers will be near motorway exits etc. it means people can avoid using that ****show called Ecotricity
Hate may be a bit harsh. The problem with this type of roll out is that although it may add a large number of chargers, they may not be in the best locations. Instavolt are great, so I am happy that they are providing the equipment but their other sites at Bannatynes are often not in the most convenient locations. Another worry is that if Instavolt invest too much and the sites don't generate enough income, they may go bust.
In my mind, there should be pressure from users (us) to allow competition with Ecotricity on motorway sites.

61 - 80 of 189 Posts