Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Instavolt to install “hundreds of units” at McDonald’s

16K views 188 replies 42 participants last post by  ringi 
#1 ·
#3 ·
That announcement is a game-changer. They cover many of the trunk roads across the country and are often spaced no more than 60-80 miles apart. So will mean the 'need' for long range cars is drastically reduced. Could mean a renaissance for the Leaf 24/30 as it opens them up to longer distances. I guess the only ones not celebrating are the classic Zoe owners. I wonder if a 22kW post is something that could be added to a location.

#4 ·
At 35ppu, buying energy from Instavolt would increase my ppm almost to diesel levels. Good to know that they exist if I ever get so desperate that I'd pay that much but I'm afraid they're unlikely to see me very often.

#6 ·
My initial reaction to this was very positive. After a few minutes of reflection, I can see that it is not going to be the holy grail. I've always been a big fan of Instavolt, and I still am.

Instavolt's own website hints at them being 125kW, which is good news.

However, I don't think it will solve the issue of hassle-free public charging on longer journeys, as I believe that most people want to know that they will be able to a get a charge at any time they need it. If there are going to be a hub of five chargers at every location, factoring in some redundancy, then that would be fine. But if there is just a couple of chargers, then it wouldn't guarantee a good enough chance of availability.

That said, it's welcome in that it will raise awareness to the masses who frequent this large fast food chain.

As far as EV drivers with cars that don't have CHAdeMO or CCS, they already know the limitations of their vehicles and don't expect the national infrastructure to be greatly expanded to cater for them.

#16 ·
However, I don't think it will solve the issue of hassle-free public charging on longer journeys
It will greatly help with charging while on holiday etc. Also in a longer range EV, when there are enough charging sites, you can stop to charge a long time before you need to and just drive to the next site if both chargers are in use.

Clusters are great and are required for moterway service stations, however clusters always need expensive electrical connection. There are many sites that already have enough power for two rapids.

#11 ·
It is a good sign, if only that a major brand is recognising that EVs aren't a "green fad". The risk is that it will turn out like Tesco where very few stores actually ended up with even one rapid due to lack of supply to the site. This would be a good example where government funding to help install a supply capable of two rapids per McD would be worthwhile and justfified.

Personally I wouldn't eat at McD but might stop for a coffee (or McFlurry!) use loo and WiFi while adding a few kWh. For example in North Wales when visiting in Model 3.

#99 ·
Tesco have signed a partner agreement with VW to support the ID series. I initially was getting an ID3 until I saw the E niro. VW were making a big thing of it. The local Tesco manager said they'd been briefed.

#12 ·
InstaVolt charger and usually (in my limited experience) clean toilets, with touchless taps and well stocked soap is the main benefit. I wouldn’t go near the food, personally. But the coffee is passable and pretty cheap.

Hopefully they are able to install several units at many sites, and can keep on top of ICEing.

#17 ·
Below is link to official press release and some spin confusing number of McDonald outlets with drive through ones. Only latter may get rapids - I am trying to be positive and assuming two per site.

#18 ·
I wonder if sites like this, which are likely to only have a few units, could benefit in future from drivers being able to reserve a charger when they are near to the location. So, the car (or CarPlay/Android Auto app) could allow the driver to reserve a unit only when it knows it is within, say, 5-10 minutes (inc. traffic) of the charging location. So you could be driving up the trunk road and when you get within 10 minutes of a charger, and the SOC is below a defined %, the car checks availability and asks if you’d like to reserve a spot. You say yes, and can then (in return for a fee which could then come out of your charging spend) take the effort and time to come off the trunk road and head towards a location with just a few chargers safe in the knowledge that one has been reserved for you.

#31 ·
I could have sworn I'd seen a "reserve" option in one of the charging apps, but I can't find it now so either I dreamt it or it has been removed (or I'm looking in the wrong place).
Looks like it might be Swarco as they have a "reserved" status on their website map, but I'm a bit confused as I don't have their app installed, so I installed it, and it doesn't show any charging stations. So... you might be able to reserve points with Swarco... but who knows.

The press release is crystal clear "InstaVolt is partnering with McDonald’s to roll-out electric vehicle (EV) rapid charging points across its Drive Thru restaurants in the UK". They also say "As we look toward a return to normal service post-COVID19, drivers will be able to pop in for a coffee or a meal and get an 80% charge in 20 minutes". So those locations, but obviously not a Drive Thu charge!

Many McD restaurants do not have their own car park and rely on the shopping center to provide parking, so I assume these location are where they have parking and (hopefully) rights to land, etc. However, I can see some difficulties even at their drive through sites. Some of those are on retail parks where their land rights might be limited. I have experience of trying to get wayleaves with retail park owners and it wasn't fun. I hope they manage it.
Don't all the "drive thru" "restaurants" have a couple of parking spaces to wait for pickup? So they could install them in those?

#19 ·
There seems to be a conflict of opinions on this project. Probably confusion from non EV savvy reporters who in some way have grabbed hold of the drive-through mentions to mean that EVs and drive through go together. When it is immediately obvious to us that a Rapid needs a dwell time of 30 to 45 minutes max. Matching a sit-in meal visit.

Also, in my very limited experience of visiting such fine dining restaurants, I have always found the car parking to be quite cramped which will inevitably lead to ICEing. But on the whole, this initiative must be welcomed whole heartedly as it could potentially offer a whole new network of contactless chargers strategically placed at key points that have already been identified by McDs as having a high traffic flow. Time will tell - but my guess is that we won't see any real benefit beyond a few high profile installations inside a couple of years.

#20 ·
There seems to be a conflict of opinions on this project. Probably confusion from non EV savvy reporters who in some way have grabbed hold of the drive-through mentions to mean that EVs and drive through go together. When it is immediately obvious to us that a Rapid needs a dwell time of 30 to 45 minutes max. Matching a sit-in meal visit.
The press release is crystal clear "InstaVolt is partnering with McDonald’s to roll-out electric vehicle (EV) rapid charging points across its Drive Thru restaurants in the UK". They also say "As we look toward a return to normal service post-COVID19, drivers will be able to pop in for a coffee or a meal and get an 80% charge in 20 minutes". So those locations, but obviously not a Drive Thu charge!

Many McD restaurants do not have their own car park and rely on the shopping center to provide parking, so I assume these location are where they have parking and (hopefully) rights to land, etc. However, I can see some difficulties even at their drive through sites. Some of those are on retail parks where their land rights might be limited. I have experience of trying to get wayleaves with retail park owners and it wasn't fun. I hope they manage it.

#23 ·
One benefit is that the Golden Arches - for all their sins - are easy to spot. That plus already knowing in the back of your mind where they are on your regular journeys makes this a very useful proposition.

i don’t buy anything other than coffee and a muffin from them these days. As the saying goes, ‘Every McDonalds meal you eat as a child is a little victory; every one you eat as an adult is a little failure’.

#42 ·
I really do hope they prioritise the rollout to target 'deserts' as @Big277wave puts it, and not target cities or areas that already have a lot of rapids. All they need to do is print out an A2 size map of the UK showing all the McD's, and filter zap map by CCS to locate gaps. After a few hours it should be pretty easy to highlight the top 25 sites.

I can offer a few suggestions already: Sleaford (gap between boston/newark), Royston(gap between cambridge/luton), Long Sutton(gap between kings lynn/spalding), Tankersley (M1 J36, and good stop enroute to Manch)

#46 ·
So what we have here is a global expert in site selection and demographics sub letting a piece of their site to the ‘keep it simple’ flat rate charge provider.
I hope they do target their sites adjacent to motorway junctions so the old fashioned crap at some of the MSAs gets the comeuppance it needs.

excellent news for all those who pay the subscriptions and dont do enough trips to make it worthwhile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.