Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's already multiple threads on the best insurance deals, but irrespective of price, what insurance policies out there are specifically aimed at EV drivers, with extras such as free recovery if you run out of power, or discounted charging etc?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
My Amp has been insured with LV as a "normal" car for the last 4 years - no probs at all, and a competitive price. They're a mutual, not a publicly listed company, so no shareholders to be paid a divvy each year. They're quite happy with winter tyres being used, as should all insurers tbh. So I wouldn't expect this policy to be super costly - about all you're getting extra, as far as I can see, is cover for your wall charger, and free flatbed to nearest charger if the battery's empty. I suspect the recovery would be offloaded onto Britannia, who do their normal breakdown recovery. And the wall charger's just another electrical appliance as far as I'm concerned, so surely should be covered under the house's general policy anyway? Maybe you'ld need to mention it to them, as could increase the house's value.

·
Registered
639 Posts
My son has his Leaf insurance via LV, our GTE is also through LV.
The extras for pure EV’s do not add to the premium, they are extra added value at no cost.
When my son got the Leaf last November, these extras had not been launched.
I tried doing an individual and a multi car quote tonight, and confirm that there is no increase in premium on the Leaf; which makes when the renewal comes in, more of a factor in comparisons if he decides to look at other companies for insurance.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, looking around it seems that LV= seem to be the only one doing something geared towards EVs. As others have said, I don't think there's much real value to those extras, but as it stands LV is coming out the cheapest for me on price comparison sites (£500 for I-Pace) anyway.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
My son has his Leaf insurance via LV, our GTE is also through LV.
The extras for pure EV’s do not add to the premium, they are extra added value at no cost.
When my son got the Leaf last November, these extras had not been launched.
I tried doing an individual and a multi car quote tonight, and confirm that there is no increase in premium on the Leaf; which makes when the renewal comes in, more of a factor in comparisons if he decides to look at other companies for insurance.
I got quotes for both from LV and the additional premium was £70: the standard premium was £370. I thought that I read somewhere that LV has moved all existing EV owners that they insure on to the new product (FOC until renewal time).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts