Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Is it possible to argue with the 3rd party that they (or their insurance company) provide you with 'equivalent reinstatement' ie they find you a replacement 14 Reg Leaf with no more than 40k on the clock (and make sure that the battery SOH is better than it was in your old car)? - and would your finance company accept changing the registration and VIN numbers on your finance agreement?
I've never heard of anyone doing that. Can you normally do it for just any car?

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,169 Posts
There's always a chance you may be surprised. 2 1/2 years into a 3 yr pcp my wife wrote off a 30kWh leaf and insurance paid out £2k more than the settlement figure. Insurance agent said he looked on auto trader to see what the cost of an equivalent car was. Put that towards my next leaf. o_O :)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
And - buy your own GAP insurance (if you think you need it) not the overpriced offering from the dealer. Usually you are covered fully for the first year, and sometimes the second, by your own insurer. Aplan offer a policy add on which pays out 20 or 25% more than the main policy payout for a total loss for about £50 a year.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,682 Posts
And - buy your own GAP insurance (if you think you need it) not the overpriced offering from the dealer. Usually you are covered fully for the first year, and sometimes the second, by your own insurer. Aplan offer a policy add on which pays out 20 or 25% more than the main policy payout for a total loss for about £50 a year.
And I thought that the £150 deal I got on gap insurance was good value! Well it was compared with the £750 policy the dealer sold me (which I cancelled).

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
And I thought that the £150 deal I got on gap insurance was good value! Well it was compared with the £750 policy the dealer sold me (which I cancelled).
It wasn't £150 for just one year though was it?

That isn't particularly great cover. For example, a new car is £20,000 and lets say it's worth £12,000 3yrs later at the time of write-off. If the insurance company only agree a valuation of £9,000, then that GAP policy would only be worth £1,250.

I have a vehicle replacement policy from TotalGapLoss, which was £249 for 5yrs (so also £50 per year), and in the same example above it would cover me up to the entire £20,000 original purchase price, so would pay out £11,000! More still, if there is a new model out that is more expensive (very common on EV's at the moment), then it will also cover a replacement for the new model even if it's more expensive. So if the new model is £25,000, then it would be worth £16,000.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Best of luck with the claim. If you do want to buy the damaged car and sell it for salvage I know a guy that breaks leafs for one of the electric car conversion companies in London, he buys them from copart so if they let you buy the car back cheaply then you could do well selling it yourself. He would arrange a truck to come and get it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
It wasn't £150 for just one year though was it?

That isn't particularly great cover. For example, a new car is £20,000 and lets say it's worth £12,000 3yrs later at the time of write-off. If the insurance company only agree a valuation of £9,000, then that GAP policy would only be worth £1,250.

I have a vehicle replacement policy from TotalGapLoss, which was £249 for 5yrs (so also £50 per year), and in the same example above it would cover me up to the entire £20,000 original purchase price, so would pay out £11,000! More still, if there is a new model out that is more expensive (very common on EV's at the moment), then it will also cover a replacement for the new model even if it's more expensive. So if the new model is £25,000, then it would be worth £16,000.
Checked, its 25% above insurance payout fo Aplan so in my case it would have paid me £3750 on top of the £2000 extra I already got. And isn't the company called TotalLossGap? Would be nice though to hear from those who have made use of gap insurance and what their experience was. (new thread perhaps)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Checked, its 25% above insurance payout fo Aplan so in my case it would have paid me £3750 on top of the £2000 extra I already got.
Ah OK, so you need to separate out the finance figure from the payout. The finance figure is sort of irrelevant (unless you have specific finance GAP, but that isn't great value). I'm assuming you had a payout of £15,000 (and presumably £13,000 finance against it)? As you say, that Aplan would have paid out an extra £3,750, however what was the list price that you paid? If you get return to invoice or vehicle replacement, you will get the GAP between the £15,000 valuation and the invoice price, or the price of a like for like replacement at the time of purchase (whichever is higher). So if the car was originally bought for more than £18,750, then you would be better off with RTI/vehicle replacement.

Would be interesting to see if they cap the cover at the invoice price of the car. I know it has an upper limit of £10k.

And isn't the company called TotalLossGap?
Oops, yes it is! Thanks!

I went with them as they had only one product (Vehicle replacement/RTI/finance GAP, which ever was highest) and no limit to the claim or mileage restrictions. It also was able to offer 5-year policy on a used car, which nowhere else could.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts