Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to verify what cover direct line offer for flex leased batteries, i.e if i write off the car and rci want £4800 less 10% per year for the battery and the car is valued a £6000-£7000 by direct line does this mean i will get the total value of the car less the battery value that RCI want to reimburse them the value of the pack. So i am left with £2-£3k check from direct line and an loan of £10000 still left to pay, so £7-8k left to pay on a car which is written off and no money to replace the insured car. Any help?

Direct line in their policy word's

cover for Batteries

There is no specific cover for any liabilities attached to the battery (whether leased or owned), therefore any cover given by our policy is in relation to the vehicle as a whole and we may repair or replace a battery as a result of theft or accidental damage. The cost to repair or replace the battery will be considered up to the write-off point under a valid claim. Claims for loss or damage to chargers or detachable cabling will be considered on an individual basis.

Liability

·If the policyholder is charging their electric vehicle at home or away from the home, and a third party trips over the cable charging the vehicle - this would be covered under the policyholder's Motor policy, (regarded as 'use of vehicle').

·If the cable or charge point caused an injury whilst disconnected at home, it is likely the Home Insurance would provide cover, as the claim arises from an occupier's liability regarding the premises being unsafe.

·If the cable or charge point caused an injury whilst disconnected away from the home, (i.e. public car park), this would not be picked up by the Motor policy.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just go off the phone to direct line. They say that for example if the car is worth 8k they will pay this out then i would have to pay the £4,800-10% per year after year 1 so £3,888 to rci for the battery leaving me with £4122. in my case i still owe £10k for the finance on the car. leaving me with £5,878 still to pay on finance and no money for a new car.

Now here is the problem
If you buy gap insurance to cover the difference they will only pay the difference between what You get from the insurance company pay out to what the finance remaining was, in the case above it would be:-

£8k value of car
£10k Loan
there for the gap cover payment would be £2k
Leaving me with £3878 still to pay on the finance

Don't buy Flex Ever!!!!!!!!!!

You'd think RCI would include the cost of insurance of the pack in the Flex agreement!!!

Is their any company's that will cover the battery Only

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some one else with a similar problem

I have just cancelled my purchase of a Renault Zoe for this exact reason. I called Renault Insurance and they confirmed that
1) They will depreciate both the car and the battery as they see fit
2) The battery will depreciate at 10% per year after the first year
3) The lease company insist on any insurance payment being made directly to them

This leaves me exposed, and potentially in a situation where the battery is worth more than the “parkers” guide for the car itself.
I have phoned 9 insurance companies directly today, and they all consider the battery + car to be one insurable item which will depreciate according to the “glass’s” or “parkers” guide.

So drive your brand new £20k (car + leased battery) renault out of the showroom, write it off 9 months later, the glass’s guide says its worth £10k, Renault say the battery is still worth £6.5k. Renault finance receive the payment, and give you £3.5k for a car that you paid 15k for 9 months ago. Brilliant!

I will be looking to buy a Zoe with the battery outright. I’ll put away the money for a new battery each month myself as
1) I’ll get interest on the money in the interim
2) They battery is warranted for 5 years or 62k miles anyway
3) Renault can’t put the lease price up when the 36 months runs out (like they just did on the 1st of May)

This situation is a complete mess. You’d think Renault would have sorted it. They are making their lcar unsaleable as it is completely uninsurable.
Not even their own in-house insurance has addressed this, what hope do the others have?

·
Registered
436 Posts
It would be a very bad crash to write off the car and battery, so bad you probably wouldn't car or be around to care. :eek:
So there will be some residue value in the battery. Taking your example the £4k would be down to hundreds for a repair only.
It is not that often that a Car is so badly damaged that a battery bank would be written off.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
It would be a very bad crash to write off the car and battery, so bad you probably wouldn't car or be around to care. :eek:
So there will be some residue value in the battery. Taking your example the £4k would be down to hundreds for a repair only.
It is not that often that a Car is so badly damaged that a battery bank would be written off.
Or the car gets flooded in 18 inches of flash flood waters rendering the car written off.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The batteries can still be returned, they will be under 705 capacity. Also they are in sealed (to a point) units.

Charger will die but batteries will be rescue able.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
The batteries can still be returned, they will be under 705 capacity. Also they are in sealed (to a point) units.

Charger will die but batteries will be rescue able.
I doubt any company will re-use the batteries that have been submerged in unknown water for an unknown period. They'll write them off for safety reasons.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plan for the worst hope for the best!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,302 Posts
I'm surprised Direct Line are still faffing around with this.

They were the first to insure my Fluence, so we know they have had 4 years to figure this out by now.

There's a lot of misinformation on this. From the insurers as well. Often this is because you are discussing with a call handler who really doesn't understand the finer subtleties of this.

When you insure the car the whole car is insured, which includes anything physically bolted to it.

It doesn't matter if different bits are owned by different people (i.e. 'have an interest' in different parts of it), the insurance covers the whole vehicle.

The value of the car for insurance purposes is the 'replacement price' of the vehicle. That may or may not be the 'market price' of the vehicle. In this case, the 'replacement price' is to replace the vehicle for the owner and replace the battery for RCI.

A couple of incidents have written off Fluences and Zoes, and in each case as expected it was a bit of a minefield but in the end the insurance company settled everyone's interests to their satisfaction.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm surprised Direct Line are still faffing around with this.

They were the first to insure my Fluence, so we know they have had 4 years to figure this out by now.

There's a lot of misinformation on this. From the insurers as well. Often this is because you are discussing with a call handler who really doesn't understand the finer subtleties of this.

When you insure the car the whole car is insured, which includes anything physically bolted to it.

It doesn't matter if different bits are owned by different people (i.e. 'have an interest' in different parts of it), the insurance covers the whole vehicle.

The value of the car for insurance purposes is the 'replacement price' of the vehicle. That may or may not be the 'market price' of the vehicle. In this case, the 'replacement price' is to replace the vehicle for the owner and replace the battery for RCI.

A couple of incidents have written off Fluences and Zoes, and in each case as expected it was a bit of a minefield but in the end the insurance company settled everyone's interests to their satisfaction.
Good to know with a little persuasion the will cough up

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I planing keeping this car for at least ten years I'm hoping I will get at least one replacement in that time. As long as it doesn't get written off in this time. This could turn out more expensive in the long run rather than having the pack replaced however I may even buy a pack and send it back at the end of the lease to save the £70pm costs

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Just go off the phone to direct line. They say that for example if the car is worth 8k they will pay this out then i would have to pay the £4,800-10% per year after year 1 so £3,888 to rci for the battery leaving me with £4122. in my case i still owe £10k for the finance on the car. leaving me with £5,878 still to pay on finance and no money for a new car.

Now here is the problem
If you buy gap insurance to cover the difference they will only pay the difference between what You get from the insurance company pay out to what the finance remaining was, in the case above it would be:-

£8k value of car
£10k Loan
there for the gap cover payment would be £2k
Leaving me with £3878 still to pay on the finance

Don't buy Flex Ever!!!!!!!!!!

You'd think RCI would include the cost of insurance of the pack in the Flex agreement!!!

Is their any company's that will cover the battery Only
There are different levels of GAP insurance. Some paying back to invoice price and pretty reasonable rates.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts