Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am trying to insure my E-Golf starting with today but I have no luck. I had a full year paid insurance since June 2019 for my old car but in January I changed it to the E-Golf and which lasted until June this year. Now when I called the same insurance company to get it insured, they said that it is not possible due to the battery and the fact that they don't insure leased cars.

Are there only a few options to get an electric car insured or am I missing something? I am getting back to the UK today and I need to get my car from the airport so the insurance is a must before I arrive.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Phone Pluginsure on 0330 043 1962 and they should be able to give you a competitive quote. Do not use their web quote as often gives higher price.

LV are another option as insure all electric cars - 0800 756 5887

Reactions: NewbieWithEV

·
Premium Member
4,264 Posts
The online quote asks me for close to £900. Previously I paid £600 for a 16 plate 3 series.
Everybody is different re insurance, for instance I’m with LV and I pay about a third of that.

Insurance companies seek out customers who fit their syndicates risk profiles, sometimes a high quote means ‘we don’t want your business, but if you insist’.

There is no universally ‘cheap’ insurer for everybody, you really do need to shop around.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
The online quote asks me for close to £900. Previously I paid £600 for a 16 plate 3 series.
Have you tried calling Pluginsure? I found them good for my Zoe, but everyone is different. We found LV cheaper for the Model 3.

Edit - Some claim insurance is also more expensive if you get quotes within a week of renewal too. Appreciate not possible in this case, but best to do 3 weeks before.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried calling Pluginsure? I found them good for my Zoe, but everyone is different. We found LV cheaper for the Model 3.

Edit - Some claim insurance is also more expensive if you get quotes within a week of renewal too. Appreciate not possible in this case, but best to do 3 weeks before.
Just called them now and I am expecting a call back from Sam the guy I spoke with said.
I know about the general rule but considering the circumstances, I had no clue when I can get back to the UK as I have been stranded abroad for 5 months 😁

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Just called them now and I am expecting a call back from Sam the guy I spoke with said.
I know about the general rule but considering the circumstances, I had no clue when I can get back to the UK as I have been stranded abroad for 5 months 😁
Glad to hear you are getting home and good luck with your insurance.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Every firm seems to change its target customers regularly. When DD1 passed her test, we insured her for an extra £700 on a Yaris. When DD2 passed her test, the same firm wanted £3,000 to add her to the same insurance. We switched to Admiral Multicar and have been with them for 2 more years. Renewals are a bit of a hassle as they almost doubled the premium for 3 cars each renewal, but getting quotes for them all individually and threatening to leave produced a magic drop in the premium to less than the previous year (as DD1 & DD2 got older), but only after they'd been through the rigmarole of 'checking your details are up to date'.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,356 Posts
Try GoCompare or comparethemarkets. I've been driving EV for 6 years now and never had trouble getting insured,

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Gocompare and compare the market are only any good for quick checking prices (who are happy to pay those companies for the privilege)

use the compare sites

then check the others (aviva and direct line are big ones not on compare sites)

then use a cash back site

that way you get the referral money instead of those who pump the airwaves full of adverts paid for by keeping the referral bonus ;)

I use Quidco and have regularly got £60 cashback for insurance

JJ

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,117 Posts
Don't forget that GoCompare are offering free £250 excess cover on policies right now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another tip is to put another driver on the policy who's not high risk if you can, this can sometimes save as well. If the quote comes back higher you can always change it. I think it has to be a relative living with you, although not sure about that.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
526 Posts
My i3 cost less to insure than the previous Ford Focus on Admiral, so go figure on that one..
I don't think many insurers are refusing to insure electric cars; you appear to have been very unlucky on that one.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Yeah always put your dad on the insurance and your missus (as long as they are free of accidents)

make sure you set the mileage accurately.

make sure you select the correct SDP and commuting.

All common sense

JJ

1 - 20 of 22 Posts