Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Tesla M3 SR+ In a whiter shade of pale
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone care to share/recommend sensibly priced insurance companies / brokers for a model 3 SR Plus.
I insured an E-Golf last October for £350, the comparison web sites are giving me crazy quotes, my existing insurer (one Call) wanted over £5000o_O.
WTF?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Insurance depends on a lot of factors. My i3S insurance was about £400 last year and my new Tesla M3 insurance is about £600, so 50% more, both with LVE. As the M3 it is a brand new car, faster and more expensive, I thought that was not so bad.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but when the basic factors don't change.....
Your prices sound a reasonable increase, as you say "not so bad"
as none of my details (other than the car) have changed, the quotes bear no relationship to my current car

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anyone care to share/recommend sensibly priced insurance companies / brokers for a model 3 SR Plus.
I insured an E-Golf last October for £350, the comparison web sites are giving me crazy quotes, my existing insurer (one Call) wanted over £5000o_O.
WTF?
I went with Churchill for my Performance. Like you I found the prices varied massively from £600 (which was Churchill) up to £2k. I think a lot of insurers don't quite get electric cars yet - I was told it was something to do with potentially very high repair bills if you prang it (and I suppose the high probability of pranging a car that goes like poo off a shovel). Anyway, I was happy with £600 which was about what I was paying for my 4 series BMW previously.

·
Registered
120 Posts
WTF?
Mine was £525 for M3P with direct line.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went with Churchill for my Performance. Like you I found the prices varied massively from £600 (which was Churchill) up to £2k. I think a lot of insurers don't quite get electric cars yet - I was told it was something to do with potentially very high repair bills if you prang it (and I suppose the high probability of pranging a car that goes like poo off a shovel). Anyway, I was happy with £600 which was about what I was paying for my 4 series BMW previously.
Churchill is my best so far, I’ve had an EV for 3 years and a plug-in before that so I’m aware of the “reluctance” of some companies to embrace electric cars ( my experience is that LV is not in that category) I’m now wondering if it’s more to do with Tesla being crammed with tech (expensive) kit?
Nevertheless I would appreciate leads from forum members who have had competitive pricing

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,281 Posts
Another vote for Churchill. They were slightly cheaper than Direct Line for me even though they are the same company.
Ah, this makes sense. Churchill were a similar (slightly higher) price to Direct Line for me too. Then the next best was £200 more expensive..

·
Registered
397 Posts
Only helps if you have 2 cars, but i got £700 for my M3 long range and ford focus with Admiral multicar.

The Admiral renewal was £1200, churchill quoted £750, so I asked Admiral if they could price match, and they managed to beat it (they didn't do lower milage from covid in the renewal price)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just go through confused.com or similar comparison site but when you put in the details for the first time ( always start a new quote) - make sure you get the correct start date before you search for quotes and do it as long as possible before your renewal is due. I've found Churchill & LVE to be the most competitive at circa £520 for a 42 year old with clean licence & history with M3 LR and 20k miles per year with protected NCD.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Only helps if you have 2 cars, but i got £700 for my M3 long range and ford focus with Admiral multicar.

The Admiral renewal was £1200, churchill quoted £750, so I asked Admiral if they could price match, and they managed to beat it (they didn't do lower milage from covid in the renewal price)
Thanks Darran

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Done as suggested by forum members, out of all the options, for me, Direct Line came out best (but all of them had horrific compulsory excess figures)
Thanks to all that replied:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts