Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked through the forums but found nothing relevant for recent quotes. To be brief my last vehicle was a Shogun, i think the insurance group was 28, Ampera is 21 (weirdly Earth and Positiv are 20, Electron is 21) so should be miles cheaper. Without going into all details I have always been a good risk, never claimed, no convictions etc etc. I did hear earlier this year that car insurance has gone up but am I shocked. Shogun was £240 last year (reputable insurance company), now they want £379, I got them to bring it down to £328 but its still a heck of a rise. I have done all the comparison sites and phoned many direct but nothing acceptable under £330.
Now I did get some quotes as low as £223 but they are not reputable companies, I'm not naming them as one was in a Shogun forum I was a member of which got really bad reviews. In fact when I spoke to them and got a quote for £270 they did actually ask if I was a member of a car forum (any one else had that)?
I read the reviews and it seems that those companies are fine until you have to claim, even if it isn't your fault, problems with protected NCB, hire car, repairs etc. I would advise anyone getting insurance to check the reviews. The more reputable insurers for example state they only use manufacturers parts for repairs which I would want for my baby.
Before I bite the bullet and go with my current insurer I wondered if anyone else has had a recent dramatic increase in cover cost.
Incidentally it is proposed that car insurance will go down £40 due to the government cracking down on false whiplash claims. I expect that will be just after I renew!
I would just like to add that I have had my Ampera for 4 months now and it just gets better and better, a wonderful car for sure.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They always increase at the renewal so you have to haggle or go elsewhere. But I only got them down £40 this time. Insurance is like legalised theft. With comparison sites always check the excess and other options. Also the review sites are an eye opener, if the insurance is cheap there will be a good reason why.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks chaps, I like to keep my total excess no higher than £400 and I always have windscreen cover. I noticed however with one quote that windscreen excess was not separate so if your screen popped and you had £400 total excess you would essentially have no windscreen cover as far as i can see. You really have to check all the options and the review sites. I may relent and go with my current company Hastings Direct at £328, they do have a decent reputation.
Just for comparison it includes options that I think are essential with this car, repairs guaranteed for 3 years, uninsured driver promise, windscreen (£85 excess), personal accident, vandalism cover (diesel dinosaurs), EU cover, no claims protection, accidental damage, total excess £195, mileage 8,000.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Don't blame the insurance companies, blame the no-win-no-fee scumbag lawyers and the crash-for-cash whiplash injury liars/thieves.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Six of one and half a dozen of the other I think but I take your point. I shall add the no-win-no-fee scumbag lawyers and the crash-for-cash whiplash injury liars/thieves (better description than I could come up with) to the 'up against the wall' list 'come the revolution'!:)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Agreed :) (y)

Reactions: Russ and Freebird

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,821 Posts
Don't blame the insurance companies, blame the no-win-no-fee scumbag lawyers and the crash-for-cash whiplash injury liars/thieves.
No-win-no-fee enables poor people to take up legal action. I'm afraid I don't agree these are 'bad people'.

Why not put the blame where the decision is actually made... the UK Judiciary. Experience has now taught me that this particular section of society is plump with its own scumbags, many having little real skill to weigh up evidence and arrive at just decisions.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No-win-no-fee enables poor people to take up legal action. I'm afraid I don't agree these are 'bad people'.

Why not put the blame where the decision is actually made... the UK Judiciary. Experience has now taught me that this particular section of society is plump with its own scumbags, many having little real skill to weigh up evidence and arrive at just decisions.
Thats very true Donald, been a victim myself, and nothing changes does it,they are on the list.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.