Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have insured my cars with Saga since 2012 - so far, they have been pretty decent but I had a bit of a shock last year when I traded in 15 year old Rover 75 for a two old Astra - the insurance doubled to over £700!
So I thought that I may fare better when trading in the Astra for an Ampera that is two years older - first of all, I was told that none of their underwriters could quote for the Ampera. Then, having consulted 'the panel' they came back with a quote of £952.95 - that was taking into consideration my 14 plus years of no-claims bonus. After punching my details into various comparison sites, I found that I could insure the Ampera for anything from £300 up but nowhere was as expensive as the quote from saga. I eventually settled with LV a well respected British company that quoted me £459.18 and that quote included several useful optional extras.
It pays to shop around . . .

·
9,719 Posts
Aviva are pretty decent for EV's - I've stayed with them this year. LV will not insure me due to age and value of vehicles.

Saga has a customer base and their risk profiles accordingly, I doubt many of the normal consumer base has Ampera's they are pretty rare to start with.

·
Registered
112 Posts
always use a comparison website like confused.com, and check one or two of the direct sellers like quote-me-happy. No insurance company [inclding the RAC] 'does the decent thing' these days and looks after ongoing customers. repeat customers are mostly just mugs to them, and if a slightly captive trusting population like Saga members, all the easier to rip them off.
having 'a panel' means they use a small number of preferred insurers who pay the best commision.
even if they send you a renewal rate, and you like them, unless it's the same or lower, always ring and say you've been offered a better rate elsewhere and magiacally the offer will improve.
I'm afraid insurance is what they call a 'perfect market' which means savvy customers get great deals via comparison websites, and anyone who doesnt is what makes their profits.

·
Registered
242 Posts
We like LV in our house. My Zoe and wife's Mazda CX3 around £270 each. We haven't tested them as yet fortunately, although wife had windscreen replaced few weeks ago (£980 apparently). She had to pay £90. LV always seem very competitive. As mentioned above we always ring them and they always magically reduce their original quote.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Different insurers target different segments of customers. If you fall in the “sweet spot” one company can be very competitive but if you then make amendments outside of their ideal they don’t like the extra risk so hike the price. They probably just don’t have enough data on EVs yet or something so are more cautious.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
We like LV in our house. My Zoe and wife's Mazda CX3 around £270 each. We haven't tested them as yet fortunately, although wife had windscreen replaced few weeks ago (£980 apparently). She had to pay £90. LV always seem very competitive. As mentioned above we always ring them and they always magically reduce their original quote.
LV has just brought out an EV Insurance product. I ran a quote and it came in at £422. I currently pay £240. The LV policy includes cover for such things as your charging point.

LV= partners with Zap-Map to support new electric car insurance product - Zap-Map

·
Registered
950 Posts
Not had any problems with the forum sponsor pluginsure and my Ampera, now on my second year with them. Worth a call - forget the website!
Pluginsure offered the same as QuoteMeHappy, circa £350.

I'd been with Admiral for 10 years, and they are huge local employer, but I'm told from one of their risk analysts is that they just don't want the EV battery risk.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ampera wasn't on the More Than drop-downs when I changed mine 18 months or so ago so they couldn't insure me and I had to look elsewhere. It was about the middle of my insurance year, and they had the cheek to charge me an early cancellation fee - £15 or £20 I think - although I did manage to recover this after mailing in a complaint.

I tried the usual suspects, including LV, of whom I've heard many good things. but the best overall bang for buck was the Coop, at somewhere around £300. That's with full (70%) NCD, foreign cover and breakdown, and excess on windscreen of only £50, which is good cos I claimed on that a couple of months ago (which went sweetly)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
... and if a slightly captive trusting population like Saga members, all the easier to rip them off.
This x infinity - have heard plenty of tales of woe on Radio 4.

Once you go past a certain age and years of autorenewing I expect their algorithm decides they can bump you 25%+ rather than the usual 5-10% without risking you going elsewhere.

My old man (who has dementia) paid £200, £250, £330, £450 on consecutive years and had a latest renewal for £620 for house insurance when I took over his finances (which needless to say was not accepted).

I put his exact details into the same company's (Lloyds Bank) online quote and it was £150 plus £50 cashback.

Absolute shysters.

(Named and shamed as I have the records to prove it)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just renewed with Pluginsure after quote me happy increased my premium significantly after one year.

£350 (comprehensive)with £300 excess is decent I think.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts