Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I've got the enviable task of sorting out some insurance for my Leaf today. Has anyone got any companies they can recommend? I've already noticed that a few of the comparison sites don't seem to accept the Leaf is an actual car (or they are flatly refusing to insure one for some reason). I've had a few quotes that seem to be a bit on the pricey side, so if anyone has any good leads, I would be grateful!

Thanks
Andy

·
Likes talking about cars
663 Posts
I just went through the car insurance comparison sites. For me Admiral was the cheapest, but only if I went though gocompare, confused or compare the market, I can't now remember which. MoneySavingExpert has some advice on getting the best deal. I have no loyalty with car insurance companies I just go with the cheapest, which may not be a good idea.

I know in the past getting a quote in early does make a difference to the price you are quoted. So a bit of planning can save you some £££s. Most places allow quotes to be stored to 60 days.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,568 Posts
We tried saga who said they didnt cover evs but their sister company did. Forget the name of it now but if you ring saga they will pass you on to them. Prices are keen, they quoted us £135 for our ion.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Direct Line for me. Not sure they're the cheapest, but seemed reasonable, and no hassles.

·
Nissan Leaf Driver @tw1nspark
74 Posts
I'm currently with Admiral for my Leaf Acenta. £170 for the year, fully comp. renewal due in Feb.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Admiral are showing as cheapest for me on compare the market. Aviva aren't too bad with a £73.50 cashback included too, although they have a compulsory excess for the vehicle type apparently!

I've got a bit of ammo to go to my current insurer to see what they will charge to amend my current policy thought now.

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
127 Posts
I too am with Admiral at a similar price to those quoted above.

Is your Leaf a Flex (i.e. are you leasing the battery)? If so you must make sure that your insurers understand that Nissan own the battery and will want £5000 if it is written off. I have done this with Admiral who were fine about it, apparently other insurers have not been so helpful. See this thread https://speakev.com/threads/nissan-leaf-flex-insurance.2662/ .

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
324 Posts
I'm currently with Admiral for my Leaf Acenta. £170 for the year, fully comp. renewal due in Feb.
Same price for me & wife, Fully comp, protected NCB incl. business use with Allianz. £150 excess.

Reactions: James

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went with Admiral in the end. 181 quid including business use, and a bit of cashback through top cashback. Aviva were about 50 quid cheaper after the cashback, but they had a min excess of 350 quid, and wanted more money for a courtesy car and legal protection etc.

Insurance is an odd thing, one of the days I'll completely understand it!

Cheers
Andy

·
Banned
604 Posts
My insurers were quite specific about the charger being covered as it's an integral part of the vehicle operating. When I say cable liability, I mean someone tripping over it. The underwriters were convinced it could be successfully argued to be my fault if I put it there. I spoke to admiral and these were not covered at the time. Mine is £400 fully comp with 2 business drivers on and 15k miles a year. It also gets replaced with a brand new car if written off within the first 2 years.

·
Banned
604 Posts
Ironically 2 months ago renault told me they don't insure electric cars? Renault customer services offered me a courtesy car until they did.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts