Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently taken delivery of my GTE, has anyone else found insuring it tricky?

The insurers I was already with (Principle) had never heard of it and took a while before coming back to me with a ridiculous quote. I had the same issue with a couple of other companies and Aviva had their underwriting team create a whole new entry in their database and for the GTE, because they had never heard of it. Shockingly their quote was equally laughable.

Results on the comparison sites were also very limited, I assume for the same reasons. Sorted in the end, now with Admiral but the GTE has been around since 2015, it's not like it's a brand new model!
I know it's a fairly rare car but it's not a unicorn... surely the long wait times indicate there a now a fair few of them around?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got mine covered with admiral multi car £370 with protected no claims but they did have bother finding it on their database .
I too in the process of insuring once the car arrives in the dealership; however what is the price you give the insurance companies the list price with options or the list price with options with also the government funding and scrapage scheme ?

What value did you give admiral ?

Thanks,
Joey

·
Registered
35 Posts
I too in the process of insuring once the car arrives in the dealership; however what is the price you give the insurance companies the list price with options or the list price with options with also the government funding and scrapage scheme ?

What value did you give admiral ?

Thanks,
Joey
I have them the value that I paid for at the dealership. I have my own gap insurance that will make the difference up to the retailers asking price regardless of what discounts were around at the time, so old for new.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Having recently taken delivery of my GTE, has anyone else found insuring it tricky?

The insurers I was already with (Principle) had never heard of it and took a while before coming back to me with a ridiculous quote. I had the same issue with a couple of other companies and Aviva had their underwriting team create a whole new entry in their database and for the GTE, because they had never heard of it. Shockingly their quote was equally laughable.

Results on the comparison sites were also very limited, I assume for the same reasons. Sorted in the end, now with Admiral but the GTE has been around since 2015, it's not like it's a brand new model!
I know it's a fairly rare car but it's not a unicorn... surely the long wait times indicate there a now a fair few of them around?
Not sure why so much trouble with Aviva? That's who my existing insurer was and it was simple to swap over to the GTE as I did it all online. Granted took a while to find the car as it had to be done manually but once you search under vw golf then 1.4 I think it was phev and there is there gte phev and gte phev advanced

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Most insurers get the model details from the registration number. Not had a problem with the GTE. As the OP says, it’s not a new model.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Cheapest car I've ever insured. I suspect the small 1.4 engine size might be the reason. Or perhaps hybrid drivers might be ultra-sensible drivers. £212 fully comp, with no claims insured and courtesy car for me!

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts

I can’t remember when I was with Admiral, but I don’t think they’re very modification friendly.

I only mention it as you’re getting your car lowered on some different springs?

I’m with LV who were quite happy to insure my car with lowering springs and a tuning box.

I’ve just had my renewal come through actually, a modest increase on last year which I was quite pleased with given I had to make a claim when some errant timber went though my bonnet, windscreen, dashboard top, rear seat and rear window!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cheapest car I've ever insured. I suspect the small 1.4 engine size might be the reason. Or perhaps hybrid drivers might be ultra-sensible drivers. £212 fully comp, with no claims insured and courtesy car for me!
With who did you insure your car with ?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Insurance group is listed as 25/26 (Standard/Advance from what I can see). My old 2.0 GTtdi comes up as 20 so it might be a little bit of a hike for me.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I can’t remember when I was with Admiral, but I don’t think they’re very modification friendly.

I only mention it as you’re getting your car lowered on some different springs?

I’m with LV who were quite happy to insure my car with lowering springs and a tuning box.

I’ve just had my renewal come through actually, a modest increase on last year which I was quite pleased with given I had to make a claim when some errant timber went though my bonnet, windscreen, dashboard top, rear seat and rear window!
Thanks for the heads up, I called them up and had a chat, Lowering the suspension by less than 5cm only added £23 to the policy, including the price of a £20 admin fee. So £3... haha

Seems they’ve improved their act! I’m quite happy with that. So looks like it’s a green light on sorting out the riding on stilts situation, just need to replenish the funds in the plaything account. My bike will be getting jealous!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Used Confused.com and the cheapest was 'QuoteMeHappy'. I'd never heard of them but they're actually just Aviva.
This is why I was surprised Aviva stated they'd never insured a GTE before, they did class the Advance as a totally different model but I swear half the time these companies just make stuff up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I hear the emergency braking and pedestrian alert result in a lower insurance bracket for the GTE.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just taken delivery.
Most of the online quote sites didn't recognise the new reg number but gave the option to select and most (not all) listed the GTE Adv under Petrol 1.4 models.
In the end, I took the VW free complimentary 5 day insurance which will give time for the reg number to update in the other sites.
As an aside, the VW insurance also gave a competitive quote so I'll probably go with them at the end of the 5 days.

·
Registered
250 Posts
All modifications and optional extras must be declared upfront with Admiral and Elephant.
Yep, it's a real pain. My Passat is almost in Advance trim, but is actually a regular trim with a pile of factory-fitted extras (it was built to be a demonstrator, but had never actually made it onto the road when I got it). I had to patiently go through describing each of the 8 extras in enough detail that they could decide which category to put them into.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts