Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

241 - 247 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd say be careful what you wish for as they say in the best circles. I had mine turned on and what I have found is the map trumps the camera, which results on a very confusing output. Basically, the map is wrong, (mine is around where I live for around 30% of the time) And every time you pass a sign the camera sees it changes the display then about 30 seconds later it flicks back to wrong value to the map until you pass the next post.. It's a pain..

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'd say be careful what you wish for as they say in the best circles. I had mine turned on and what I have found is the map trumps the camera, which results on a very confusing output. Basically, the map is wrong, (mine is around where I live for around 30% of the time) And every time you pass a sign the camera sees it changes the display then about 30 seconds later it flicks back to wrong value to the map until you pass the next post.. It's a pain..
Hmmm I wondered about this. I have been toying with getting it enabled since I picked up my car, just because the map is laughably wrong, (my favourite being a 30 limit through a nearby village that the car flags as 60 despite a repeater every second lamppost), but it sounds like it might not be a huge improvement.
Of course what we really need is a better map!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was lucky as my car was one of the first and had this feature.

I think if your system reverts back to the map information after 30 seconds there is something wrong. Mine does not behave in this way.

However, it is not perfect. I seem to remember that Forum member Stageshoot once reported a speed limit sign which his camera picked up, on the back of a foreign lorry parked in lay-by.

For my part I can only quote two examples of known inaccurate reporting. Firstly on a slight bend, the camera recognised a 20 mph limit on a side road that was briefly in direct line of sight. Secondly, starting each day in a 30 limit, the system does not remember the last limit from the day before and uses map data. I know this because in my area, the car presents incorrect information where a 30 limit has now been extended for about 800 yards. It appears that the camera needs to see it's first speed limit sign each day (or perhaps after a certain amount of time that the car has been switched off), before displaying current information.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was lucky as my car was one of the first and had this feature.

I think if your system reverts back to the map information after 30 seconds there is something wrong. Mine does not behave in this way.

However, it is not perfect. I seem to remember that Forum member Stageshoot once reported a speed limit sign which his camera picked up, on the back of a foreign lorry parked in lay-by.

For my part I can only quote two examples of known inaccurate reporting. Firstly on a slight bend, the camera recognised a 20 mph limit on a side road that was briefly in direct line of sight. Secondly, starting each day in a 30 limit, the system does not remember the last limit from the day before and uses map data. I know this because in my area, the car presents incorrect information where a 30 limit has now been extended for about 800 yards. It appears that the camera needs to see it's first speed limit sign each day (or perhaps after a certain amount of time that the car has been switched off), before displaying current information.
It is entirely possible that the config page for the car is more subtle than we think. So a tickbox for ISLW and another needed for map wins. I did report this errant functionality to Hyundai UK shortly after it was enabled as the dealer did demonstrate some competency and just got a response which ignored the question. It was a free update at the time due to my terrible local dealer experience, so I let it go. That was the strength of the apology, a simple sorry would have actually gone a longer way but it didn't happen. I've had Mercedes for years and like most hated the dealers and absolutely loved my independent guy, manufactures really still don't seem to understand ownership for a lot of us is about a good dealer relationship as much as the vehicle itself. We can often forgive shortcomings for that reason alone. I was talking to a friend a week or two back who bought a B250e and hated Mercedes dealer both in the sales process and service and previously had a Honda Jazz they actually called the dealer to say look you don't have an electric model but when you do call us because we will switch back to Honda in a heartbeat because of the service you gave us.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It's really not an issue in Ireland as we don't get sat nav as an option in 2019, so I use Waze on android auto which is brilliant it shows speed limits and advises if you have exceeded it. The ISLW just picks on road signs.

I think they will bring in the premium spec from 2020 which will be Sat Nav spec'd

·
Registered
91 Posts
As I understand it a lot of dealers that did this FOC off their own back have had their knuckles rapped by Hyundai UK. It is offered as a cost option (£138.00 inc VAT), and the dealer should update the vehicle record to show that this option has been installed.

My dealer had never done this before and the Master Tech had to call Hyundai technical for instructions!

The Hyundai web site "Book a service" allows you to select this option and dealer.

John.

View attachment 123129

Just and Update. My 2019 car did not have ISLW enabled.
I complained verbally and in writing to "Customer Services" - No joy told me I would have to pay for it.
Booked it in with dealer to have it enabled and explained politely that I was not happy with apparent mis-selling (i.e. was on the car I test drove) and that Customer Services were claiming that dealers and CTB should have made it clear that it was not part of UK spec. (classic case of backside covering).
Final result: Installed and working fine and dealer paid half the cost. I consider this an ok result as the Dealer was completely out of the loop and I could not be blamed as far as I'm concerned..

241 - 247 of 247 Posts