Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Kona64
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lightning fast recharging
The ID.3 comes with the choice of three battery sizes, small, medium and large, that can be interchanged easily depending on how far and in what style you’d like to drive

...according to the VW website
So I can swap one out in 10mins at a dealer ????

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,922 Posts
In your dreams! It has all the hallmarks of dodgy translation and a web marketing team with no concept of what they are selling.

It would be fantastic if we could have a small battery for most of the time and just rent a large battery for the rare occasions that its needed. The LEAFs battery pack is only held in place by around 10 bolts and has two power connectors. If it wasn't for all of the shields around it and the fact that it has to be programmed to the car you could probably swap one in around 20 minutes so it should be possible to design something to accept a fast change.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,644 Posts
Can you just imagine what this would be like in real life?
  1. The VW dealer needs to keep a bunch of battery packs charged up and ready to on a special facility. This is expensive, so I order to recoup costs battery rental is around £100 a day.
  2. Everyone goes on their summer holidays around the same time. So you have to ring around for availability - the nearest facility is 90 miles away.
  3. You need to book an additional day off either side of your holiday to drive to the service centre and get your battery swapped out.
  4. The dealer charges you £15 per day to look after your old battery.
  5. When you get back you discover there’s a 35p per mile surcharge for use above 75 miles per day.
  6. You also discovered that rapid charging was limited to 35 kW, in order to protect their battery.

·
Registered
BMW 300e 2020 model and Leaf 40kW 2019 model
290 Posts
The ID.3 comes with the choice of three battery sizes, small, medium and large, that can be interchanged easily depending on how far and in what style you’d like to drive

...according to the VW website
So I can swap one out in 10mins at a dealer ????
If it's designed to be swappable then you should be able to get it swapped, maybe not in ten minutes, but an hour or less work, including tests before you get back the key. However... you probably have to order it and is not going to be cheap. BMW uses the same battery shapes in their i3 model range, and also the 330e model range, and probably other models as well, but they don't offer upgrading/swapping possibilities, though for the i3 it was said that it's going to be possible. Maybe not many people would be ready to pay for the costs of new batteries in an older car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts