Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum,

I went for a drive in an ID.3 yesterday, a car that, it has to be said, I was a little skeptical about, but, I really loved driving it. Very quiet, smooth and uncomplicated, which at 50+ years sounds about what I want from my daily ride. The model I would probably get would be the base model Pure, which currently does come with Navigation Pro (whatever that means) and the pedestrian warning stuff.

What should I be aware of about this model of the ID.3?

During my test drive, I brought it home, partly to see if the dog would fit in the back (which he did, chunky fellow that he is, he still had plenty of room) and also to see if the car would fit in my garage (built in the 60's, so not the biggest). It did fit, but it was very tight with the mirrors on the metal frame of the up and over door. The built in sensors were making such a noise I thought the car would count down and explode.

My partner, watching outside, said it was weird that the car just quietly slid into the garage, to which I said, you should have been on the inside! Plenty of noise there!

So my first question would be, can I fold the mirrors up and still drive the car? I know they can fold up with the manual control on the door arm, but I was wondering if they stay up when the car moves, or automatically deploy when movement is detected (which would be a very bad thing when I am squeezing through that gap).

Next question would be about battery balancing. While I was researching Nissan Leaf, as an alternative car, I read on the forums, and most other places, that the battery needed to be balanced in order to stay at optimal performance and to avoid battery degradation. Is this not a thing with the ID.3? I don't seem to read this anywhere.

On that same question, Leaf owners are always talking about losing a 'bar'. Is there an equivalent in the ID.3? And has anyone yet suffered from it?

Lastly, I forgot to measure the gap between the back door and the front seat when the seat is pulled all the way forward. I want to pick up wood from the DIY places to work on my projects at home. In my current car, I can pick up 2 meter lengths with no issues. Is that possible with the ID.3?

Okay, think I have other questions, but I will leave it at that for the moment.

Thank you for reading this far and my thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
544 Posts
can I fold the mirrors up and still drive the car?
100% yes, I have to do this in a couple of spots where there are bollards in the kerbs to restrict vehicles over a certain width

battery balancing
Here's what VW UK say: Electric Battery Maintenance and Warranty | Volkswagen UK

losing a 'bar'
VW warranty is for a minimum of 70% capacity after 8 years

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
544 Posts
Thank you. A very informative link.

How does the owner know when the battery capacity is degrading? Is there a read out for this or would it need an OBD and an App?
I could guess or try and predict the future, maybe it will be something we gain in the We Connect ID app or the in-car display - there’s nothing so far.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you. Random question...

I forgot to measure the back seat to see if my guitar fits in there. Is there a measurement table anywhere in the net for th is?

Edit, second random question. How close do I need to get with the key fob for the car to register this? Just slightly concerned as my key cabinet is not far from my garage.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,034 Posts
Thank you. Random question...

I forgot to measure the back seat to see if my guitar fits in there. Is there a measurement table anywhere in the net for th is?

Edit, second random question. How close do I need to get with the key fob for the car to register this? Just slightly concerned as my key cabinet is not far from my garage.
You may not have a problem. The Life model comes with "old fashioned" remote locking by a key fob. Perhaps the base model Pure will be the same.

It's a much better arrangement in my opinion. You lock and unlock the car when YOU want to. No worries about the peculiarities of the automatic system.

·
Registered
595 Posts
My key will wake up my car from inside the house if it's touched at all. The car is parked around 4m away from the wall, so the range is quite high. The range to actually unlock the car is a lot less, maybe 1m away.

Though if you are getting the base model Pure as you said in your OP, I don't think it has keyless entry, so it shouldn't matter. It still has keyless start, but you need to press the button on the key to open the car.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, that's cool, I prefer the idea of locking an unlocking the car myself rather than via the proximity of the fob.

Below is the spec I was given at the dealer for the Pure they are offering at the moment. Apparently this will change in a few months time, although I don't have details on what exactly will be taken away, or added. I've marked on entry in red, which I think indicates the Pure does not have the proximity detection in the key fob.

(this has been through a google translator from German to English, so there might be a bit of strangeness to this list).

Standard equipment
Please note that the crossed-out standard equipment was retained by the optional equipment.

Outside
LED taillights
LED headlights with automatic driving light switching
Full wheel covers
215/55 R 18 tires
Steel wheels 7.5 J x 18
Green thermal insulation glazing, on the side and behind

Inside
3 rear seats, rear seat backs can be folded down asymmetrically
Ambient lighting 10 colors
Armrest for the front seat
Driver's seat with height adjustment
Center console with 2 cup holders in front
Multifunction steering wheel with touch controls
Seat center panels of the front and rear seats in "Fragment" fabric

safety
Airbag for driver and front passenger, with front passenger airbag deactivation
Three-point automatic seat belts at the front with belt tensioners
E-sound
ISOFIX retaining eyelets for child seats on the same rear seats as on the front passenger seat, i-size
compatible
Head and side airbags in front, with center airbag
Emergency brake assistant "Front Assist" with pedestrian and cyclist detection
ECall emergency call system
Tire control display
Disc brakes in front
First aid kit, warning triangle and safety vest
Warning tone and light for not fastened seat belts in front and behind
Electronic immobilizer

function
2 USB-C interfaces on the front
4 + 1 conversation
50 kW DC charging power (direct current)
Alternating current
App-Connect including App-Connect Wireless for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
Different electrically adjustable and heated
Aspherical on the driver's side, convex on the passenger's side
Tool kit and tire mobility set: 12-volt compressor and tire sealant
Car2X
DAB + digital radio reception
Diversity antenna for FM reception
Parking aid - warning signals for obstacles in the front and rear
Driving profile selection
Measure limiter
"Climatronic" air conditioning system with active combination filter and stationary air conditioning
Charging cable mode 3 type 2, 16 A.
Make-up mirrors follow in the sun visors
Anti-fatigue treatment
"Discover Pro" navigation system
Emergency brake assistant "Front Assist" with pedestrian and cyclist detection
Radio "Ready 2 Discover"
Intermittent wiper control

Keyless start system without safe securing

Electromechanical power steering, regulated depending on the protected
Voice control
Lane Assist
Telephone interface
Traffic sign recognition

·
Registered
338 Posts
Based on a conversation at my dealer he believed that the most basic model on the German VW site is likely to be not offered in the UK. However it really is stripped down and aimed at fleet users etc rather than the general public so that is likely a blessing. I think the second model up in the range is called the "city pure" on the German site but may be different here. The naming is slightly confusing as the "pure" refers to the 45kWh battery pack as well as the most basic spec. It was the same with the "pro" 58kWh they didn't offer the most basic one here and just the Life version - that is the second model in Germany.

https://www.volkswagen.de/de/modelle-und-konfigurator/id3.html#MOFA

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Looks about right, although the model they are offering me has the Discover Pro navi as well, but only for a limited time.

I think I'm fine with the stripped down features. I just want an BEV at a fairly low price and for various reasons, I didn't fancy the Nisan Leaf and the Zoe was too small. So the ID.3 in this stripped down form pretty much ticked all the boxes I wanted, which to be honest was really a built in Navi as the car I am currently driving (Fusion Diesel) doesn't have this.

The demo car I drove had a lot more stuff on it, but at the end of the day, I find like my phone, a lot of features just don't get used after the initial 'play-period'. But maybe that's just me. I started my driving life in an old Ford, which didn't have much of anything working, so I have come to not expect that much from my cars :)

Honestly, I just want to be a little more eco friendly and have also changed my electric now to a green provider in anticipation of charging from home. I have a driveway, so that won't be a problem, and currently the German government have a good scheme to encourage home charger installation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts