Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently driving a 2016 Audi A3 e-tron and with my lease expiring in about 18 months, I'm starting my search for a BEV to replace it, which I plan on buying.
The e-Golf is on my list of BEV's and I couldn't think of a better place to get info than from those who have lived with this car over the years.
There's a 12 to 18 month waiting list for the e-Golf in Canada. If I'm going to seamlessly transition from my Audi to the VW I need to decide pretty soon.
The range stated for Canada is 201 km. What is your real world range?
Have anyone experienced any issues (major or minor) that I should be aware of?
How many recalls did you have? My e-tron had 2 recalls, both were with software related.
Anything else you can share with me that could either solidify my purchase or convince me from buying it.
I have had a test drive in it and I really like how solid the car feels and drives. But that was only a 10 min drive.
Looking forward to reading your comments.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
We've only had our car since the end of March so don't know about issues, recalls etc.
The most I've had on a single charge is 135 miles with 9 left iirc, temperature was mid 20's and it was a constant 65mph apart from a few miles at the beginning and less than a mile at the end.

It is very easy to drive, comfortable and handles like a Golf. I'd certainly order one again.
The only thing that I find annoying is it going into eco+ mode and switching the heating off when it gets to about 10-12 miles left, so not much of a gripe.

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
Go with your gut. Pros and cons are generally just a way to justify what you feel already.

I drive one of the early ones, with a range of 85 miles. That range figure for me is the only con, apart from the fact that it only has a 3.3kW charger. Both issues I think have gone away with Phase 2.

Other than that it's all gravy. It's a joy to drive.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the response Woodulike.
I am impressed that you are getting more than the "published" range, although not surprised. Knowing that the e-Golf will surpass 201 km on a full charge is confidence inspiring as I feel I would need at least 150 km on my daily drive and Canada doesn't have a very good EV charging infrastructure yet (but it's slowly getting better).
Something that is a concern to me (I know you haven't experienced it yet in your e-Golf) is how well the car holds up in the cold (-10 to -20 C) temps.

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
Thank you for the response Woodulike.
I am impressed that you are getting more than the "published" range, although not surprised. Knowing that the e-Golf will surpass 201 km on a full charge is confidence inspiring as I feel I would need at least 150 km on my daily drive and Canada doesn't have a very good EV charging infrastructure yet (but it's slowly getting better).
Something that is a concern to me (I know you haven't experienced it yet in your e-Golf) is how well the car holds up in the cold (-10 to -20 C) temps.
It's true that I've never had to handle low temperatures. There is a very good Facebook eGolf group which I think has a good few Canadians in it who can offer their experience.

VW e-Golf

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go with your gut. Pros and cons are generally just a way to justify what you feel already.

I drive one of the early ones, with a range of 85 miles. That range figure for me is the only con, apart from the fact that it only has a 3.3kW charger. Both issues I think have gone away with Phase 2.

Other than that it's all gravy. It's a joy to drive.
Hi Tim, yes I know and I did just that when I got my e-Tron. :)
I have thoroughly enjoyed driving my e-Tron over the past 2 1/2 years. But for my next car I would like it to be a BEV, and I feel research is necessary since I plan on keeping it for a much longer period.
In Canada, we have a limited # of BEV's available. My current BEV list includes the LEAF, Kia Soul EV, IONIQ electric, Bolt along with the e-Golf.
If those don't work out for me (delivery, price or anything else), I am considering a couple of PHEV's - Volt and Clarity.
Ultimately I want to go BEV.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank
It's true that I've never had to handle low temperatures. There is a very good Facebook eGolf group which I think has a good few Canadians in it who can offer their experience.

VW e-Golf
Thanks Tim. I have requested to join that group.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I think you'll struggle to drive 150km in -10°C, and when it gets properly cold I imagine it will be even less. People who had the new e-Golf in December last year were reporting 90-100 miles on a charge, and it wasn't really cold.
I would be waiting for the Kona or Nero EVs from Hyundai and Kia if I wanted a BEV in Canada. The Golf doesn't have battery cooling/heating, the Kona and Nero will have and is being made with a 64kWh battery.
If you have 18 months left you have a little longer before you need to order, even the Ioniq is available within a year.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'll throw in my tuppence. I've had my e-Golf for about four months now, and overall I am very pleased with it. Build quality is excellent, as you would expect. It was a toss-up between an e-Golf and an IONIQ. The IONIQ scores on range and charging speed (having active battery temperature management and a higher nominal battery voltage - I think these are the e-Golf's weak points). I understand that the paint is less robust on the IONIQ. Boot capacity of the e-Golf might be an issue if you have a family to transport. In summary, I'm delighted with it. No recalls or issues to date.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Only issue is whether you can make the range work. If you can - get one, simple as that. The heat pump is standard in Canada I think so that should help.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My understanding of heat pumps is they aren't more efficient at very low temperatures, but that's for heating homes. Cars may be different as they can take heat that is generated by the car.
Same principle different method,One example of a heat pump for home , water is pumped around underground using the ambient temperature about a metre down which tends to remain around 9-11 degs all year round,this warmth is transferred with an heat ex-changer to the tank of water ,meaning you only have to raise the temp of that water from 11 degs upwards.

My understandng of the heat pump in the golf is it sucks any heat generated from running the car ,then by means of an heat ex-changer warms the air that is used to warm the car.

This from Wicki
In electrically-powered heat pumps, the heat transferred can be three or four times larger than the electrical power consumed, giving the system a coefficient of performance (COP) of 3 or 4, as opposed to a COP of 1 for a conventional electrical resistance heater, in which all heat is produced from input electrical energy.

Next time someone asks why you spent £800 on a heat pump quote the above.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got a software recall from the dealer this morning. It's 91R6 and to reprogram the OCU. From the threads in the GTE forums, it sounds like it's to do with improving CarNet reliability.

CarNet has been ok for me except the extreme delay between sending the action and the car actually doing it so maybe this update could fix that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Neo would be a serious contender but I'm not sure it will be available when I need to hand my keys back to Audi. Typically new cars don't hit the Canadian market until a year or 2 after the European launch. Case in point, 2016 my e-Tron was the 1st model year here and the e-Golf was just launched last year.
Very good points on the heat pump, I'll definitely have to keep that in mind.
What are your overall thoughts of the car? Would/have you recommended the e-Golf to anyone?
Does anyone have feedback on maintenance costs? This is something I've personally asked EV owners at various EV events. Not surprisingly they've all (expect for Tesla owners) said that their servicing cost are low. Tesla's annual maintenance is about $900 / year here in Canada (so I was told by an MX owner).
My Audi, if I didn't have the Audi Care pkg, would've cost me about $1,150 for my regular services (56,000 km on my car now). Makes my purchase of the pkg well worth it.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Tesla Model 3? Now with additional cold weather features. You'd need to order that right now.

With the Golf, I presume you know you'd be buying one of the very last eGolfs ?

There's also the Kia Niro to consider, and maybe the Kia Soul, which will both have similar range, 450km in the 64kWh battery versions

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was very fortunate to meet with a kind and friendly Model 3 owner this weekend who spent some time talking about their car. I was also given a short drive to really get a sense of the quietness, suspension and acceleration of the car.
I haven't seen many eGolfs in the Toronto area and have yet to meet an owner, but I have done a short test drive last year so I am somewhat familiar with the car.
I should look at my situation from a positive angle. With approx 18 months until my lease expires, I'll have a lot of time to research my next car. In addition, if I do decide on the Model 3, hopefully by then the quality will be much better (I think it's good now). Also, new VW (and VAG) all electrics should be on the market.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
@hangtime10 Out of interest how do they ( Model3 / eGolf ) compare ?

In the cabin - equally spacious headroom, rear seat legroom ?
And the rear trunk ( Boot this side of the Atlantic ) - about the same size ?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got a new eGolf in March. It's now done over 3,000 miles without a hitch.
Best mileage so far using climate control air-con and no eco or eco+ is 140 with 16 left on the GOM.
Acceleration is awesome and also have taken it up the road to Lancaster where I got a free charge and back again. On the motorway it cruised well (no exact details divulged here) although it uses much more battery under those driving conditions.
Taking the eco route to The Lakes later in the month and have already checked out charging locations.
Love it.
Build quality is excellent as you would expect from VW. I had active info display and heat pump as extras in addition to the paint. I have no need for any other extras and I am pleased I did not spend on them.
My advice is to get one.
Only disadvantage is other people wanting to drive it and having to look out carefully for stray pedestrians especially on car parks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts