Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrite, It's been a while since I've posted on here...

Recently purchased a Bluetooth battery monitor so figured I'd post a pic on here so you can see how the DC-DC convertor operates and charges the 12v battery.

Points of note:

Initially the car was unplugged and fully charged.
8am is my short commute to work of around 20mins/5 miles
Various unaccounted for loads whilst car is parked at work...?
16:30 drive home and immediately plugged in but not charging. Looks like car keeps the DC-DC convertor running to top up battery until 9PM
6-7am is my pre-scheduled charging time.
8:20am unlocked and removed charging cable.

I wouldn't take too much notice of the actual numbers as not sure how accurate the voltages are, but the pattern of operation is interesting...

Cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Is yours the 2012 model, MY12 ? I bel;ieve the MY13s do a better job, in that they are believed to give the 12V a nightly topup/check when polugged in; the 2012s don't, so can suffer a flat battery even when plugged in and left standing in gge for a few weeks with no driving. Would be interesting to see a sudden spike during the night-time to confirm!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Interesting, mine seems to regularly drop below 12v according to my cheapo 12v meter plugged in the dash... This despite replacing the battery twice in under a year. All seems to work fine so haven't lost too much sleep but I realise it doesn't seem right. How much did your monitor cost out of interest?

Am I correct that the period in your image is in excess of 24h?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a MY2013... you can see the 4 hours of 'charging' when I plugged it in at 16:30. I've seen that behaviour again since. Can't say either way if it does it whilst unplugged as I've not left it unplugged for a long period of time yet. I would hope the car tops up every week or month...?

It cost £20... search on eBay for Bluetooth 12v monitor and you'll spot it. I did put an inline fuse in with it across battery terminals under boot floor. Range is pretty good too, over 10 meters.

Yeah, it's 2 screenshots stitched together for clarity.

Cheers,
Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts