Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing though some old car mags the other day, and found a 1987 road test of the Sierra Cosworth RS500, one of THE fast cars of its day.

Autocar obtained these figures at the test track:

0-60: 6.2
40-60 & 50-70 in 3rd: 3.9 & 3.7
40-60 & 50-70 in 4th: 6.7 & 5.9

Compare with the test figures for the 225xe:

0-60: 6.7
40-60 & 50-70 in 3rd: 3.1 & 3.7 (locked into manual 3rd gear)
40-60 & 50-70 in 4th: 3.5 & 4.0 (locked into manual 4th gear)

Interestingly, the 3rd and 4th gear ratios are very similar for both cars, so neither is gaining a gearing advantage. The 225 weighs over 400kg more in on-the-road trim (1800kg for the 225 vs 1380kg for the Cosworth).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Eightes and early nineties I think were a sweet spot of car design. I had a 83 volvo 240 GLT estate. Which looked like a normal Volvo estate, but had about 9 second 0-60 time, one of the first of the fast estate cars made. 4 speed manual with overdrive button on top of the gear leaver. Replaced that with a 85 Saab 900 turbo 3 door (Sadly the 8v not 16v). As I look back over my car history they were two of my favorites.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just found another period road test - this time, a Porsche 928S2 manual from 1985. Again, the 4th gear ratio is similar to the 225's, so the in-gear figures are comparable. No-one ever accused a 928S2 of being a slow car ...

0-60 in 6.3s (just 0.4s quicker than the 225)
40-60 & 50-70 in 4th: 4.4 & 4.8

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've done the same exercise and when describing the 225Xe have used the Cosworth as my benchmark.

I think the in gear times for the RS500 are misleading though. It had a biiiig turbo so the road going one suffered from turbo lag on bench mark tests. In real life (where you anticipate the lag) I think the 225 would be looking at a whale tail disappearing in a haze of petrol fumes.

I think we would be close to a normal Cosworth though?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done the same exercise and when describing the 225Xe have used the Cosworth as my benchmark.

I think the in gear times for the RS500 are misleading though. It had a biiiig turbo so the road going one suffered from turbo lag on bench mark tests. In real life (where you anticipate the lag) I think the 225 would be looking at a whale tail disappearing in a haze of petrol fumes.

I think we would be close to a normal Cosworth though?
Heh, the original test is here if you fancy a read. Yes, the RS500's time for 60-80 in 3rd is the same as its 40-60, so once the turbo is spooled up and blowing, it does go some: https://www.flickr.com/photos/triggerscarstuff/sets/72157615406575331/

This Flickr feed has a HUGE number of road tests from the 50s to the 90s, from Autocar, Car, Motor and more. Will help to kill those quiet days in the office in the run-up to Christmas: https://www.flickr.com/photos/triggerscarstuff/collections

Reactions: Fear Glas

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
If the 225Xe is as revered in 30 years time as the RS500, it will have done very well! :)

Interesting seeing performance figures from older cars, one of my favourite old cars was my Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9. A fantastic thing to drive back in the day, but it makes me shudder slightly when I think how flimsy it was and how I used to drive it as a ’young man’.

I still drive many of the same roads today, and I often surprise myself with what I considered to be a safe overtaking place back then.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I still drive many of the same roads today, and I often surprise myself with what I considered to be a safe overtaking place back then.
?
At least you had a 1.9GTi, over here due to tax laws, the quickest thing around was a 205XRAD panel Van version! I, unfortunately, had an Astra 1.7 diesel van. Like you, I look at places I considered as ok for passing and shake my head. I used to start my run up blind, well before the bend before the straight so that you were committed to the overtake maneuver before it even appeared!

The 225 is just on another world!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts