Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a problem with the Leaf or is it just my car. I came to go out in it at lunchtime and the front screen was badly misted up. I also get this problem when driving if I don’t have the demister switched on.

Have I got a water leak somewhere or are all Leafs the same? :cry:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It's a common thing. The Leaf climate on Auto doesn't work like other cars - the a/c part won't come on unless it wants to cool the interior.
You can override that with demist, of course, or just press the a/c button (but that obviously turns off Auto).
In winter, especially when raining, or with a car full of passengers, you'll need to use demist a lot - but only for a few seconds at a time.

Reactions: LettuceLeaf

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the confirmation @flipper

you'll need to use demist a lot - but only for a few seconds at a time.
Yes, I'm finding that with just myself in the car already.

·
Read Only
871 Posts
Did you have wet clothes or shoes before leaving the last time? The water from those transferred to the carpets/seats will evaporate onto the windscreen

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
@flipper is spot on but check the passenger foot well for dampness.
There have been cases of a hoses not been attached properly causing damp there but that's rare.
It's more likely to be just normal.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Yup, also finding the Leaf is a misty bugger of a thing.
I'm not overly bothered about range, so I just use the A/C a lot.

·
Registered
868 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
It seems a bit much to buy dehumidifying products, when the car has a built-in dehumidifier (the aircon)....?
Switching that one only reduces range by approx 3 miles, which then comes back when you switch it off.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
It seems a bit much to buy dehumidifying products, when the car has a built-in dehumidifier (the aircon)..
I suppose that the logic is that they might passively absorb any moisture thats hanging around in the car, to avoid the a/c being needed quite as much or as often.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I suppose that the logic is that they might passively absorb any moisture thats hanging around in the car, to avoid the a/c being needed quite as much or as often.
Yeah, but it's a bit like having central heating at home and buying one of those free-standing oil radiators as well....
People also need to remember Aircon needs to be used.
The less you use it, the more chance of nasty bacteria smells when you do.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Yeah, but it's a bit like having central heating at home and buying one of those free-standing oil radiators as well....
People also need to remember Aircon needs to be used.
The less you use it, the more chance of nasty bacteria smells when you do.
Also it keeps the seals lubricated. If you don't use it, they dry out and you get leaks.
Air Conditioning Tips | ICT Workshop Solutions

·
Registered
902 Posts
YUP

how do people find the demister stuff that you spray on the windows?

I got a cloth thing that was supposedly imbibed with such a chemical last year but it was rubbish. Rubbish meaning it was basically a dry cloth.

Fairly sure the overly verbose youtuber known as ian sampson swears by the spray on mist stuff, if I recall correctly he also tried random other things like shaving foam and er, a potato?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I found that the "rain-x" interior anti-mist didn’t work at all, in fact it was worse.

Opening the windows and turning off the heat about 1/4 mile from home helps to reduce the humidity in the car to that of the outside air and so the car is less likely to mist up.

I agree with the checking of the carpets and under the seats for any sign of dampness, Nissan quality control doesn’t seem to be that good on some cars.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yes, the Rain-X interior stuff was awful, really awful. (I did eventually get it to be ok, but it took months).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts