Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This fault appeared almost exactly 1 month afer the expiry of the 4 year warranty in mid- June. Its normally fine on the first start of the day - after that its completely unpredictable. You do always hear the click authorising the battery power but when the fault strikes the green go light fails to appear. Either then or on subsequent restart attempts you get the orange battery warning light and the orange spanner. The vehcle becomes undrivable for a number of hours - I always leave it overnight and then the next day it is back to normal.
All the obvious things have been tried, switching to using the spare key, fitting a new transponder ring on the vehicle itself and finally changing the batteries in both keys - all this has made no difference.

The local Renault dealer has admitted defeat and an EV technician firend in Suffolk is now trying to solve it - he suspects a poor connection somewhere which has also parially affected communication with the diagnostic kit = which explains why the local (Milton Keynes) dealer were defeated. The kit is unable to run through the full diagnostic sequence.
I am wondering if any member has come across this before or has some suggestions as to what we can do next..........? shepmk

·
Zoe Devotee
8,565 Posts
Changed the 12V recently?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
At rest 12v is reading around 12.6v, immediately on turning the van on it rises to over 14.4v. It could be slightly better, but since the DC to DC comes on almost immediately and well before the systems checks are completed, its unlikely that its the cause. Worth while monitoring it over a day unused. But the fault comes on at random times, repeated cycling (so 12v well above the 12.6v) can cause the fault to appear. ANd the icons are suggesting its a High voltage system fault.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This fault appeared almost exactly 1 month afer the expiry of the 4 year warranty in mid- June. Its normally fine on the first start of the day - after that its completely unpredictable. You do always hear the click authorising the battery power but when the fault strikes the green go light fails to appear. Either then or on subsequent restart attempts you get the orange battery warning light and the orange spanner. The vehcle becomes undrivable for a number of hours - I always leave it overnight and then the next day it is back to normal.
All the obvious things have been tried, switching to using the spare key, fitting a new transponder ring on the vehicle itself and finally changing the batteries in both keys - all this has made no difference.

The local Renault dealer has admitted defeat and an EV technician firend in Suffolk is now trying to solve it - he suspects a poor connection somewhere which has also parially affected communication with the diagnostic kit = which explains why the local (Milton Keynes) dealer were defeated. The kit is unable to run through the full diagnostic sequence.
I am wondering if any member has come across this before or has some suggestions as to what we can do next..........? shepmk
Thanks Sandy - I asked the dealer abput the 12volt 2 weeks back and they were sceptical . My Suffolk friend supplied a reason for this - he pointed out that according to the vehicle handbook this symbol relates to the traction batteries not the 12volt.......thats a tricky area as they are leased of course !........shepmk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sandy - I asked the dealer abput the 12volt 2 weeks back and they were sceptical . My Suffolk friend supplied a reason for this - as he points out that according to the vehicle handbook this symbol relates to the traction batteries not the 12volt.......thats a tricky area as they are leased of course !........shepmk

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,204 Posts
The electric drivetrain has a 5 year warranty.

Go back and say 'fix it, or vehicle is hereby rejected'.

You are in a very simple situation!

Don't let any unauthorised person touch it, else you may lose your privileges.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,565 Posts
A low 12V can give all kinds of errors on Zoe just assumed the same might be possible for Kangoo.

Plus isn't 12.6 a bit low for a healthy battery?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Plus isn't 12.6 a bit low for a healthy battery?
12.6v is around 80% SOC, so not too bad on a battery with maybe a little draw on it from the computer and traction relays etc.

From previous posts it seems the DC-DC converter brings the 12V up to the normal 14.4v charging voltage, so that bit's working.

I'm going to say take it back to the main stealers and say that they need to resolve the issue, especially as what's the point leasing batteries if you can't use them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My thanks to Sandy, Donald, and At the Van for advice & suggestions - I suspect my local dealer will deny any knowledge of a 5 year warranty on the drive train (although they knew the exact day the 4 year one expired !) - in my expereince over the past couple of months I have relied on someone fairly senior at Renault UK customer services for rulings on what is or is not possble..............shepmk

·
25,204 Posts
The 5 year warranty cover [on EV-bits] was an OLEV requirement for them to have received the plug in grant.

Same for Leaf. Other cars are exceeding that, 8 years for Ampera and Tesla, for example.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I feel a get out brewing. Is the 5 year warranty requirement applicable to the sale that got the Government grant as an addition to any makers warranty? If so its only applicable to the original owner. Or is it applicable to the vehicle?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Actually its not a 5 year warranty
Plug-in van grant eligibility guidance - GOV.UK

2.5 Warranty
Vehicles must have a 3 year or 60,000 miles vehicle warranty (guarantee) and a 3 year battery and electric drive train warranty, with the option of extending the battery warranty for an extra 2 years. ‘Drive train’ means the parts that send power from the engine to the wheels. These include the clutch, transmission (gear box), drive shafts, U-joints and differential.

·
25,204 Posts
... try the next paragraph...

2.6 Battery performance

Vehicles must have either a minimum 5-year warranty on the battery and electric drive train as standard or extra evidence of battery performance to show reasonable performance after 3 years of use.

... all the Renault documentation I read way-back-when did also reiterate the 5 year warranty.

I will dig out a Kangoo e-brochure for you to confirm and you can take this along. I think I still have one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone for digging into the warranty position. In my original letter to Renault UK MD and customer services I complained about the fact that I was not offered an option to extend the initial 4 year warranty during my period of ownership (3.5yrs) Apparrently extension is offered to original purchaser but 2nd owners get a raw deal.
Anyway all the information that's come up today can serve as good grounds for a 3rd email to them both.
I will do this over the holiday weekend........shepmk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi, i'm in process of trying to decide which van/kombi ev to get, i have noticed a kangoo kombi that fits the bill nicely 5 seat van seats fold flat etc.( Ive been put of the pug partner so far- leaning towards env200 but more expensive )
just noticed its 5 yr warrany on powertrain ze but reading a bit more says :
Renault Services
4 years warranty
and Renault Assistance
Your vehicle is covered by a warranty package for up to
4 years /100,000 miles (whichever comes first). The first
2 years are unlimited mileage, followed by a further
2 years up to 100,000 miles. Your dealer is able to repair
or replace, without charge, parts that are found to have a
material or assembly defect that is recognised by Renault.
The paintwork warranty runs for a period of 3 years
and the anti-corrosion warranty for a period of 12 years.
Should you need it, we’ll provide emergency roadside
repairs or tow you to the nearest Renault dealer.
This service is available 24 hours a day, every day of the
year. Renault Assistance Cover, provided from months 0 to
48, includes: assistance at the roadside and home, as well
as national recovery. Onward travel with European cover
from months 0 to 36 only. Cover includes mechanical
or electrical defects covered by the warranty

If there is a prob and Renault cant fix (wont recognise it) do you go on paying battery hire and put up with an inadequate /problem vehicle what can you do with it?
who else could fix the problem van?
I'm not hearing great things about Renault so far!
Any more input greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The 12v battery issue, is an intersting one, I separately charged this using an external chgarger and it responded as I would have expected. Back with normal use it drops to around 12.8/7v but in a rather random fashion the DC to DC kicks in for a split second then drops out but seems to hold the voltage at around that level. It does not drop when the ign is turned on but rises immediately into the Mid 13v area. So unless you remove the battery to test it, so bypassing the DC to DC toppping it up, its not possible to really read a lot into the voltage reading of the 12v battery, except,I guess if it drops down rapidly below 12v showing a serious failure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts