Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am trying to plan ahead so when I get my BEV and I have a couple of long trips, the stop at a rapid goes smoothly, especially for the passengers.....
The place I am hoping to use as plan A has a small supermarket attached, so my game plan was
a) Arrive, I faff around trying to get the charge started whilst the others saunter in to the shop.
b) eventually I am freed up, charge is flowing, so I lock the car and the flow continues, and I go in to the shop to find what scoobie snacks may or may not have been picked for me.
c) after 10mins since arrival all of us come out of the shop but I'd like the electrons to continue for another 5-10mins
If I unlock the car to appease the passengers , the charge will stop won't it?
Or do most rapids have a screen message saying something like " Press here to end or I will just continue "
(or the other way around).
Is it quite fast to have a charge ended by vehicle unlock but restart it straight away ?

It's one of those things that you don't find out until you try it for real.
I am suspecting the answers are " It varies completely depending on charge point provider"
My Plan A is Shell recharge/Smoov/NMotion. B is Polar, and C is instavolt.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think it depends on the car, not the charge post. My Leaf will charge locked or unlocked. So your scenario would offer no issues. I believe most EVs are the same. But I seem to recall from fourm some posts and Bjorns videos that the MG needs to be locked.

So I guess its a case of RTFM. I'm sure the manual will tell you

As for the Rapid charge posts. In my experiences to stop a charge you either need to press the stop button on the screen not the Energency Stop button on the charger or terminate the charge on the App on your phone.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
65 Posts
The MG ZS allows locking and unlocking on a rapid charger without interupting the charge. Only on slow/fast charging does locking/unlocking interupt the charge.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The MG ZS EV and Ford Focus EV require the doors to be locked for slow AC charging to take place.

But for DC Rapid charging I'm not aware of any car that will stop just because you opened the doors. Some may stop if you try to switch the car on while it's plugged in, but definitely not from the doors alone.

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
If it’s on an EH rapid it’ll probably stop after 10 minutes anyway!

I think for DC charging in most cars it carries on regardless of what you’re doing with the doors/ignition. Certainly that’s the case on the e-Golf anyway.

What car are you getting?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks, my prior experience was only on GrannyB / Fast chargers.

@Tooks - Kona(64) -- completely different kettle from our first toe dips in to EV Motoring !

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
That must be one heck of a road trip to need 3 significant stops for 'leccy! I appreciate the need for regular stops but rather than bother charging each time I'd consider one longer stop (30 minutes) at a really fast Rapid and get it all done at one hit, perhaps to coincide with a Scooby lunch?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
That must be one heck of a road trip to need 3 significant stops for 'leccy! I appreciate the need for regular stops but rather than bother charging each time I'd consider one longer stop (30 minutes) at a really fast Rapid and get it all done at one hit, perhaps to coincide with a Scooby lunch?
I think they mean Plan A is the preferred stop with Plan B and Plan C as options if the first one is busy or dead.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think it depends on the car, not the charge post. My Leaf will charge locked or unlocked. So your scenario would offer no issues. I believe most EVs are the same. But I seem to recall from fourm some posts and Bjorns videos that the MG needs to be locked.

So I guess its a case of RTFM. I'm sure the manual will tell you

As for the Rapid charge posts. In my experiences to stop a charge you either need to press the stop button on the screen not the Energency Stop button on the charger or terminate the charge on the App on your phone.
Yes, it depends on the car. Most will maintain dc charging, but I know that (for example) the iPace stops dc charging if you unlock the car twice (as in double press of the button). Very annoying as easy to do in error. Most will maintain charging which is much better...don't know why it's considered helpful or necessary to stop either ac or dc charging when the car is unlocked. But yes...read the manual!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
On the Kona unlocking while AC charging does 3 things.
Unlocks the car, drops the charge to 0.5A, unlocks the plug. The charge is not terminated.
You can then pull the plug out safely even though it's still live at that point.
If you don't pull it out then after 10 seconds or so it is relocked and the charge rate goes back to whatever it was. (If you miss that window you have to unlock again to get a new one.)

I'm not sure if it does the same on DC or not, but if it does then the charge would still not be terminated, just reduced briefly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have an e-Niro which is similar in a lot of respects to Kona. I haven't yet interrupted home charge as it's overnight but definitely on DC rapid charge doesn't matter what you do to doors it still charges. Indeed, some like to sit in car with power on to see what level of charge they get so can't do this without unlocking doors. There's also a charge lock/auto button on e-Niro and sure I saw same button in Kona on Fully Charged. On lock the cable will not unlock until doors opened. Stops your type 2 cable being nicked if used. On auto, will unlock cable when charge complete allowing public cable to be removed so someone else can use it if you don't come back in time.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think they mean Plan A is the preferred stop with Plan B and Plan C as options if the first one is busy or dead.
Correct ----- I need to know what I might have to do !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts