Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

As part of my role within EVBox, I’m running interviews to find out more about the experience of the EV drivers (how do you find the infrastructure, what apps/websites do you use, what changes would you like to see in the future, etc.). If you are driving an electric or hybrid car and you have 20 to 30 minutes to spare, please let me know so we can arrange a short informal discussion.

All the information will be treated confidential and it will be used only for internal purposes.

There is no compensation for participating in this action. However, your participation will be a valuable addition to our research and findings could lead to improvements in the domain.

However, if you don’t have the time, you can still help me by filling in this questionnaire: EV Drivers survey

Thank you in advance!
Anca Luca

·
Super Moderator
11,491 Posts
what changes would you like to see in the future,
Contactless payment. You will get the same answer from just about everyone here.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
It is not possible to enter an email address.,

For Q16 "Select the best option for managing your EV charging"

with answers A, B C which from memory were website, tablet, app why isnt D " just plug it in and swipe a credit card" an option?

I dont know what EV Box is but i presume you have a vested interest in making the "charging experience" more complicated? No one talks about the "petrol filling experience" they just go to a garage and buy what they want.

Why does everyone try to make it more complex which means its more fragile and more likely to break.

I want it to be as easy as filling up with petrol and with something to do for the time I'm waiting which classically would be a cafe a shop or similar, or to have stations at places i might be there for some time anyway - airport, supermarket whatever..

I dont want an app, a website, a specialized card, the need for a particular mobile or OS.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Why can't you spend your time reading the thousands of posts on here relating to charging - rather than getting us to give it to you on a plate.?

sorry if that's a bit harsh, but I'm afraid those were my first thoughts on this !!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,182 Posts
I want it easier to do that petrol. Just plug in and the network recognises the car, either simply by visual or by a electronic 'handshake'.

Heck, we could go for a real handshake combined with ANPR, such is the state of fingerprint recognition that it could be used as the verification level for the ANPR.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I want it easier to do that petrol. Just plug in and the network recognises the car, either simply by visual or by a electronic 'handshake'.

Heck, we could go for a real handshake combined with ANPR, such is the state of fingerprint recognition that it could be used as the verification level for the ANPR.
I have suggested this, but I received a quite well informed answer from someone in the auto trade.
What about cars that are being driven to their new owners,, cars from abroad on holiday/business, cars in company or hire car fleets, and cars where the registered keeper and registered owner are different.

The point of sale technique where you just use a contactless payment allows for almost universal access to the chargers and could even allow for those who don't have bank accounts by having a card that you top-up just as you would with a single use cash card.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,182 Posts
I have suggested this, but I received a quite well informed answer from someone in the auto trade.
What about cars that are being driven to their new owners,, cars from abroad on holiday/business, cars in company or hire car fleets, and cars where the registered keeper and registered owner are different.

The point of sale technique where you just use a contactless payment allows for almost universal access to the chargers and could even allow for those who don't have bank accounts by having a card that you top-up just as you would with a single use cash card.
I would call that a rubbish, uninformed, unintelligent and thoughtless answer. Not even an answer, it is a fob-off.

I am not suggesting either/or, I am suggesting the simplest approach for 95% of charges, and there would be a screen/keypad based solution for the remainder, and/or when "other stuff" goes wrong.

It can't be the ONLY answer to it, because that solution will depend on bidirectional communication back to base What if that fails?

Sh!t almighty, you could just have a frikkin' numerical keypad that you go online and buy credits, use a unique code, FFS. Then if stuff goes wrong you could call an operator and they could dish out an access number for you too, if they wanted to.

....or am I living in a dreamworld where no-one has ever done that sort of thing before, like topping up a PAYG phone?

That NEVER works, does it. I mean, there are MILLIONS of PAYG customers on the phone every day trying to get their phones working because it is not working, and there are no such thing as pay monthly customers on the same network because there can only be one solution? Jeeeezzzzz... :oops::rolleyes:

Reactions: HughF

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
So this is just another monthly subscription card then, This time €4.50 pm inc VAT. And the only benefit is that it might replace a pocketful of individual cards. Or not - if they haven't managed to sign up the small fiefdom that you happen to have stumbled upon. So you still have to carry all those cards anyway. Just in case that point isn't included in the arrangement. And, guess what, we all have a perfectly good card that should do that same job in the first place. A free issue debit or credit card.

Such 'helpful' systems must be resisted at all costs or we will all be doomed to paying £50 pa for no additional benefit. Our efforts must be directed to replicate the ideal solution that Tesla drivers enjoy with their own exclusive chargers. Or if copying such a system, that just works seamlessly, is beyond the will of others then at the very least copy Instavolt's touch-card access using any bank card. Absolutely zero need for systems using subscription-based back office admin cards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts