Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another new Ampera owner here. I have had my car for 4 days now and so far I'm delighted with it, despite an awkward moment when I powered it off at speed when trying to switch to hold mode to show off how quiet the petrol engine is!
Great enthusiasm for these cars is evident in this forum, and I'm grateful for the excellent buyers guide too.
I was lucky enough to find an MY13 Electron locally within my budget. I can't believe how good it is.
I need a low profile charger box, ideally with a side entry socket and the only one I have seen so far is the ProjectEV EVA-07S from Smart Home Charge, if anyone has any experience with this one I'd be grateful for their views.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Snap, 4 days for me as well! It's a different world to my old diesel Mazda3 for sure. Wish I could turn the damn radio off though!!

I'll second the comment on the wealth of information available on this forum, thanks to everyone who has provided so many guides and whatnot.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Another new Ampera owner here. I have had my car for 4 days now and so far I'm delighted with it, despite an awkward moment when I powered it off at speed when trying to switch to hold mode to show off how quiet the petrol engine is!
We live and learn! I guess most of us have done that - the two buttons are too close for comfort! Result: a moments panic! You won't do it again . . .

Welcome to the forum and the best car Vauxhall never made!

·
Registered
331 Posts
We live and learn! I guess most of us have done that - the two buttons are too close for comfort! Result: a moments panic! You won't do it again . . .
I have. And again. And again and again and again.

Usually when I'm trying to stick it into Sport mode to race someone away from the lights :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Great enthusiasm for these cars is evident in this forum, and I'm grateful for the excellent buyers guide too.
I was lucky enough to find an MY13 Electron locally within my budget. I can't believe how good it is.
I need a low profile charger box, ideally with a side entry socket and the only one I have seen so far is the ProjectEV EVA-07S from Smart Home Charge, if anyone has any experience with this one I'd be grateful for their views.
This charger is also branded (formerly branded?) as a Growatt. A number of people on this forum have had these units. Some say you get what you pay for, but it's certainly one of the cheapest out there.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I too have powered-off while driving! v dangerous imho. To try to stop me doing this, I've 3D printed a tiny shield I glue over the top of the power button, so it's harder to get at. Here's a design pic of it, actual item is black glossy ABS. You can't see it in this pic, but it's slightly skewed - look at the start button housing, and it's a tiny bit staggered! I could offer these for sale for say £1 +postage if anyone's interested? Message me if you want one. Fastens with a tiny bit of Evostik (I used the old, solvent-based formula. No idea if the new latex one works!)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Have you tried pushing the round volume control in? 🤣
That just turns the whole center screen off, but you knew that anyway :).... it's such a pain in the arse bug, if you want the center screen on without any sound from the stereo you just have to turn the volume down to zero...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too have powered-off while driving! v dangerous imho. To try to stop me doing this, I've 3D printed a tiny shield I glue over the top of the power button, so it's harder to get at. Here's a design pic of it, actual item is black glossy ABS. You can't see it in this pic, but it's slightly skewed - look at the start button housing, and it's a tiny bit staggered! I could offer these for sale for say £1 +postage if anyone's interested? Message me if you want one. Fastens with a tiny bit of Evostik (I used the old, solvent-based formula. No idea if the new latex one works!)

View attachment 124644
Yes Andy, I would be interested in one of your shields, but I think I'd use double sided tape rather than solvent glue to fix it, just to avoid leaving any marks if it were removed. How do I contact you for payment etc.?

·
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
17 Posts
That just turns the whole center screen off, but you knew that anyway :).... it's such a pain in the arse bug, if you want the center screen on without any sound from the stereo you just have to turn the volume down to zero...

Actually you could select the AUDIO IN from the menu without anything plugged in, and you have power on dash with volume at whatever you like and no sound coming out and maybe your phone connected through Bluetooth in case of any incoming calls..

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Actually you could select the AUDIO IN from the menu without anything plugged in, and you have power on dash with volume at whatever you like and no sound coming out and maybe your phone connected through Bluetooth in case of any incoming calls..
that's a good workaround, nice one...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guess that must be a change with the later models? Mine is MY12 and it just refuses to switch to aux unless something is plugged in. Makes me wonder how many other little differences there are between them...

·
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
17 Posts
I guess that must be a change with the later models? Mine is MY12 and it just refuses to switch to aux unless something is plugged in. Makes me wonder how many other little differences there are between them...

In that case the simplest solution is to plug anything in... from an old phone to maybe an old MP3 player... To be fair, i use my phone plugged in there on a day to day basis so haven't tried with nothing plugged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In that case the simplest solution is to plug anything in... from an old phone to maybe an old MP3 player... To be fair, i use my phone plugged in there on a day to day basis so haven't tried with nothing plugged.
Indeed so - but when I couldn't find a audio cable lying around I just procured a Bluetooth audio > 3.5mm adapter which is even better :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Are your cars different to mine? When I push the volume control to turn the Audio off, the audio stops, but I get an Ampera logo display on the centre screen.with date, time and outside temperature. If I press the relevant buttons I can get the climate control display or the power flow display. Does your volume control button really turn the centre screen off completely?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Are your cars different to mine? When I push the volume control to turn the Audio off, the audio stops, but I get an Ampera logo display on the centre screen.with date, time and outside temperature. If I press the relevant buttons I can get the climate control display or the power flow display. Does your volume control button really turn the centre screen off completely?
Mine does exactly this. MY12 model. The only way I know is to go thru the menus where there is an option to tun off the screen. Major faff, so I never do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same on my MY12, just goes to a silly picture when you turn it 'off' :) I usually press Info instead, at least then there's not so much light flying out at me at night!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts