Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Vendor
Honda E
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: 04/05/2022

NOTE: The SPEAKEVBNT code is not valid anymore. Instead, you can use SPEAKEV20 to get up to £20 OFF your first monthly refill. Valid for new users, only.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We’re Bonnet - a London based startup focused on making EV charging easier, faster and more affordable for everyone.

An EV charging app may not sound that groundbreaking to you, but trust us, we’re different. We combine the 17+ different charging apps into one, making the world a greener place and saving you time and money. We already have 2500+ chargers in the UK and 55000+ in Europe - by the beginning of 2022 we are aiming to have more than 70% UK coverage (around 17000 chargers). After that? World EV Charging domination. (We’re kidding...kind of.)

Bonnet users can use our app at any charging point - this means no more RFID cards and no need to download a new app every time you use a new charge point.

In the UK we work with companies like ESB, Char.gy and Shell, offering competitive prices in both a Pay As You Go option and a subscription based option, which you can cancel at any time. So if your Audi e-tron needs a rapid charge, you’ll pay as little as 25p/kWh - no matter what type of charger or company you use.

To top it off, if you run into any issues we have live support via the in-app chat and live information on all chargers, which is cross checked with suppliers and other sources before being published.

Some of the CPOs we work with are:
  • Alfa Power
  • Allego
  • ESB
  • Fastned
  • Franklin Energy
  • Plug-N-Go
  • Shell Recharge
  • Char.gy
  • EVBox
  • Osprey
  • Connected Kerb
Still need convincing that Bonnet is the EV charging app for you? How does 1-month free charge sound? We’re offering SpeakEV members one month free of any of our monthly refilling packages (worth up to £50/200kWh), valid until 13/4/2022.

All you need to do is download Bonnet from the App Store or Google Play, sign up with the code SPEAKEVBNT and redeem the monthly refill you'd like to try. In the unlikely chance we’re not for you, you can cancel at any time before the renewal date.

To find out more about us, check out joinbonnet.com or search for us on the usual social channels on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn for updates and offers.

We’re confident you’ll love Bonnet as much as we do. Let us know in this thread your thoughts and if there are any improvements you would like to see as we grow!

·
Registered
Kona64
2,050 Posts
You might want to ask your media / legal people to check the statement above
Bonnet users can use our app at any charging point - this means no more RFID cards and no need to download a new app every time you use a new charge point.

I looked a the https://www.joinbonnet.com/coverage
Instavolt ? No
PodPoints ? No
EV Megahubs like Braintree , Rugby and Putney ? No

If you want people to move over from ZapMap pay, your coverage needs to be bigger
(I don't use zap-map pay but I guessing that is your market ? )

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I also looked at the list of current partners and recognised very few ! I tried to look at the 'coming soon' link but nothing happened.

I thought I remembered someone posting a cartoon about a new 'all-purpose' app simply increasing the number of apps needed but afraid I couldn't find it.

·
Registered
MG5
798 Posts
Your better off with the Electric Juice card 😁

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
@JoinBonnet I'm probably talking rubbish but your map is uniquie in that the chargers are listed with kWh and not kW. Is that for a reason?

View attachment 152249

Sounds as if someone made an error, as no chargers/charge points have an energy capacity rating, they are all rated in terms of maximum power. This one, for example, should state 43 kW.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
@JoinBonnet I'm probably talking rubbish but your map is uniquie in that the chargers are listed with kWh and not kW. Is that for a reason?
I rather think it demonstrates the degree to which this app has been researched & implemented ! :devilish:

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts

·
Vendor
Honda E
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might want to ask your media / legal people to check the statement above

I looked a the https://www.joinbonnet.com/coverage
Instavolt ? No
PodPoints ? No
EV Megahubs like Braintree , Rugby and Putney ? No

If you want people to move over from ZapMap pay, your coverage needs to be bigger
(I don't use zap-map pay but I guessing that is your market ? )
Hi Gladini,
Thanks for your comment - we'll look into rephrasing the post! We're planning on expanding our coverage even further in the coming months and will take what you've said on board.
Kind regards,
Bonnet

·
Vendor
Honda E
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The name bonnet is wrong for the Americas - its a type of hat (In the UK too)

Bonnet (headgear) - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Bonnet_(headgear)

Headgear tied under the chin with a string was especially likely to be called a bonnet. ... Other features associated with bonnets as opposed to hats was that the ...

Here's your new logo:
View attachment 152260

Not forgetting the hot Scotch Bonnet chilli pepper.

If we ever have a rebrand we'll keep this logo suggestion in mind!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Simply mentioning yet another app is a turn off. Apps don't work when the mobile network is down, unavailable, poor signal, phone battery is flat, don't have a smartphone etc., at least rfid cards do. It's even possible to pay by card these days.

·
Registered
119 Posts
can't remember a worse launch for a new product / service than this. what is the benefit of this app over a credit card or std RFID card?

in addition to the scathing criticism above I can add:

1) the specification of many of the charge points you claim your card works at is simply wrong. in some cases which I'm familiar with, your map states there is only 1 connector but there are, in fact, several.

2) the coverage is poor (at least in the area that I'm familiar with - Newcastle) and many of the accessible charge points are described as 1 connector @ 7 kW. I'd say that someone on a long journey who may need to recharge en-route would be unlikely to want to rely on a single (or even multiple) 7kW chargers. There's lots of good charge points in Newcastle area which are not accessible with your app but work perfectly well with a CC.

It's not even about cost when you're running low - you simply want a charge, and whilst your 25p kWh rate is reasonable I'm struggling to see what sort of driver would want to contractually agree to buy 200 kWh / month from you?

·
Vendor
Honda E
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi @sometime , thank you for your feedback. Here are some comments, regarding your two points.

1) Would you mind specifying the charge point you are talking about? We'll make sure that our team corrects that information.
2) As a small startup we are constantly looking to expand our coverage. We will be announcing some interesting updates about it soon :)

Best,

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi @sometime , thank you for your feedback. Here are some comments, regarding your two points.

1) Would you mind specifying the charge point you are talking about? We'll make sure that our team corrects that information.
2) As a small startup we are constantly looking to expand our coverage. We will be announcing some interesting updates about it soon :)

Best,
your map states that all the Fastned charge points in North East have only 1 connector yet in reality they have more than 1. Whitley Bay Fastned for example has 2 stations so 2 cars can be charged simultaneously on either DC or AC. In fact, the Whitley Bay Fastned has 4 parking bays and each station can simultaneously support AC and DC charging which - depending upon the vehicles concerned - could be described as 4 connectors (I believe this is the same for other Fastned places too).

How come you didn't know this if you have a commercial arrangement with them?

1 - 20 of 160 Posts