Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
221 - 240 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT Line
84 Posts
Just got an email from Bonnet with info on large price increases and new refill volumes, effective 22nd June:
Font Darkness Terrestrial plant Number Screenshot

There's other info in the email mentioning that refills will be specific to the country you live in and have selected as your "home country", rates for countries other than the UK are listed here: Bonnet | Pricing
It mentions that any charging outside your country will always use the pay as you go price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got an email from Bonnet with info on large price increases and new refill volumes, effective 22nd June: View attachment 163073

There's other info in the email mentioning that refills will be specific to the country you live in and have selected as your "home country", rates for countries other than the UK are listed here: Bonnet | Pricing
It mentions that any charging outside your country will always use the pay as you go price.
Inevitable really, surprised they held out on the old pricing for so long unless it was a case they had hedged enough at that price and it's finally dried up, so to speak.

It does however lose some of the selling point, especially with the likes of Electric Juice. Perhaps both in tandem will work well for some.

Quite a gulf in volume and pricing between the refill tiers too now...

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
1,097 Posts
For me, it makes them kind of pointless now. Contactless is the only winner in terms of payment method. I signed up and was willing to give them a try based on the big savings available. Now, I don't see any real point. I never got around to using them. I may just delete the app now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just got an email from Bonnet with info on large price increases and new refill volumes, effective 22nd June: View attachment 163073

Thanks for the heads up.

I took the opportunity to upgrade to a £50 package at the current price so I can stockpile some cheap energy.

I will then downgrade to the £9 package next month.

It is a shame but I understand they had no choice.

Let's hope for better times ahead.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT Line
84 Posts
For me, it makes them kind of pointless now. Contactless is the only winner in terms of payment method. I signed up and was willing to give them a try based on the big savings available. Now, I don't see any real point. I never got around to using them. I may just delete the app now.
There's still significant savings if you want to use Ionity and don't have a car from an Ionity supporting manufacturer but otherwise, maybe little price advantage unless you use public rapid charging a lot and get a refill.

·
Registered
97 Posts
There's still significant savings if you want to use Ionity and don't have a car from an Ionity supporting manufacturer but otherwise, maybe little price advantage unless you use public charging a lot and get a refill.
I'm using up all my referral credit to roll over my energy so it's not actually costing me anything right now.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
1,097 Posts
There's still significant savings if you want to use Ionity and don't have a car from an Ionity supporting manufacturer but otherwise, maybe little price advantage unless you use public rapid charging a lot and get a refill.
Never used Ionity. I have a Kia Soul EV, soon to be swapped for a new Niro EV, so the max rate is 77kw. No point in seeking out Ionity.

I don't rapid charge much but you've got to get through a fair old chunk of mileage and charging now to get the price below 44p.

Nah, I'm out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
that’s sad news but it’s expected sooner than later 😭 I don’t have home charger so I rely on public charger. the next cheapest one would be those by PodPoint at 26p/kwh. Tesco has free charging but limited for 2-3 hours, and probably a lot of hoggers

Other Smaller networks such as AlfaPower chargers 30p/kwh directly, but has non existent support 😝 I’m officially stopping Bonnet app once they start these prices. Thanks @JoinBonnet, it has been a pleasure but the prices are no longer attractive anymore

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro, 2021, 4+, Yacht Blue
8,329 Posts
I still prefer Bonnet over contactless. I really don't like the pre-auth payment and having to monitor my bank account to make sure I get the credit when the charge fails.

·
Registered
54 Posts
They’ve just lost their appeal for me. I’ve been using them primarily on Osprey and GeniePoint as they were cheaper than using those network’s own apps. However, Bonnet now costs more than using the network’s own app on PAYG. I don’t use them often enough to justify a refill.

it was good whilst it lasted, but now for me it’s just another app and adds no value over going direct or using my Electric Juice or Zap Pay. Those doing higher mileage may see a benefit though.

They were meant to be “one app to do it all”. Now you have to sit and work out if the native network is cheaper or if various Bonnet subscriptions would be. This effectively means they become just another app and complication, which directly contradicts what they set out to achieve.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m currently abroad with 200 kW to use in the account. Looks like none of them will be useable from next Wednesday, till I return to the UK, and any i buy abroad will have to be fully paid for over and above the ones in the account.

i understand rates have to change, but allowing roaming of existing credit by paying a per kW supplement may have felt a little gentler

·
Registered
97 Posts
The new packages are admittedly too expensive to make it a worthwhile proposition at this point in time and Bonnet knows this.

The new strategy as I see it is as follows. Bonnet will lie dormant for a while in terms of people actually using it but will continue to grow its user base through promotions and referrals. Much cheaper than burning cash by offering subsidised electricity. At the end of the day fifteen quids worth of free energy via the referral mechanism is still a no brainer in most people's books. They will keep the current users hooked by offering us the odd free/discounted charge (in other words don't delete the app)

I would argue that it doesnt really matter if people take a break from using the app for a while. Bonnet has always been about a future world where millions of people are reliant on the public charging network.

They are betting on energy prices falling in the not too distant future. At that point they can email their (at that point massive) user base with a new price structure.

The caravan keeps rolling but it's taking a slight detour.

·
Registered
ID.4 Life Pure
200 Posts
Not surprised their PAYG rate jumped but I'm surprised by their subscription fees jumping by £30 on the top level. I can't see many people subscribing to that one anymore.

·
Registered
eNiro 4, (Niro EV 4 HP on order)
1,324 Posts
At 40p/kw is still 20% cheaper than the “pump price” !

I think if ESSO had an app where Diesel was reduced from £1.88 a litre to £1.50 it would be popular

I think everyone knew the intro/old rate was unsustainable
From my point of view, still a significant saving, albeit a smaller saving 👍👍

AND as @Paul_Moxhay posts, no ridiculous pre-auth on failed charges

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq Sportline 80
341 Posts
Got the email too and was about to post it up. Lost a lot of its appeal now, but can still be in the mix as others have mentioned, they do pop up promo codes in emails and Twitter, so keep an eye out. Might still be useful for us when we know we have a big trip where we will be using Ionity chargers when our Skoda PowerPass runs out (that has annual subs which I wont sign up to). Will be a case of juggling who the cheapest CPO's are.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,959 Posts
Least surprising ‘news’ ever.

Perhaps a point to be made about there being no free lunch, and that unsustainable or below market pricing is just that, unsustainable.

Why can’t we just have fair pricing, that allows profit to be made to keep the charger install ball rolling, and PAYG as the payment mechanism using a debit or credit card.

That’s got to be the future, at least until plug and charge becomes a more widespread thing, and better than scratching around like a chicken on the ground looking for referrals or ‘fun’ discount codes.

The world of public EV charging needs to grow up fast, and people need to understand that being ‘land grabbed’ isn’t necessarily in their best interests.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
(re-posted from an alternative thread)

For smaller users - or those just trying to protect an accumulated balance - it could be considered good news in that the minimum subscription rate drops from £15 to £9.

I couldn't see any changes announced for the renewal scheme. App still saying that if anyone uses my code (RMX9M) , they and I will each receive a £15 credit but since £15 is no longer a subscription value, I suspect that's likely to drop to £9 (or even be discontinued ?).

Even with the increase, Bonnet rates for a 'subscriber' will still be at least 5ppu below Geniepoint's own rates (and even better value on Ionity)

Reactions: Cheshirecat

·
Registered
9 Posts
My main issue with the new tariffs is the removal of the possibility of charging abroad with my refills. I live in Germany and we travel a lot abroad with the car, so 90% of my out of home refills happen abroad. With the new conditions Bonnet is not attractive to me anymore.

221 - 240 of 269 Posts