Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
241 - 260 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
So.... for those who are temporarily abroad (with a hefty credit in the account)... I've just charged up (thinking the new rules were next week), and got hit with a ££ bill.... (and despite what Bonnet said, I wasn't warned of the impending charge at the pump, and I wasn't asked for my country of base)

Come on, Bonnet - you could have given a little more than NO notice for a change in T&Cs....

Actively antagonising early adopter customers seems odd. What else might they do without any notice? Is this really going to incentivise me to take out a subscription and give them more money? (admittedly I'm about to lose 200kW, although I have benefitted from two intro offers)

I wonder if Bonnet are members of the SpeakEV community?
I've just emailed them with some positive and constructive comments in case they aren't. I genuinely thought the concept was brilliant (flat rates, roaming etc) , and was happy to support growth of the company. But like some others here, most of my charging will be abroad, and maybe that is not a target market for Bonnet as they refine their offering

·
Registered
MG5
880 Posts
What does your app say under 'my pricing'?
Rectangle Font Screenshot Logo Brand

What does your app say under 'my pricing'?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
1,097 Posts
If you look at page 1, Bonnet themselves started this very thread...
Personally, I am not sure they will be around much longer. Based on the date of the first post in the thread, they are barely 7 months old, and have already had to ditch the unsustainable loss leading prices. They now don't offer anything meaningful to stand out in a crowded and dysfunctional market.

My key criteria when selecting what charger to use is that I want it to be known as a reliable operator and I want it to be simple. Simple means contactless, or in the future means plug and go. Not apps. And because, in the grand scheme of things, the costs of public charging for me are not massive, a difference of a few pence per kwh when you are only putting in 20 or 30kwh once or twice a month is not material enough to make me want to find something other than PAYG, and not material enough to make me steer clear of operators that are a few pence above the pack.

I will steer clear of those that are miles above the pack (Ionity). And I would change my behaviour possibly for prices miles below the pack (Bonnet, pre price rise). But when their PAYG is 50p, bang in the middle of the pack, what's their point?

·
Registered
483 Posts
They’ve been going longer than 7 months, but raised a lot of capital in the past year or so to make a splash. They’ve obviously decided that they need to burn through it at a lower rate than before.

·
Registered
MG5
880 Posts
Well this morning my rate went up to 50p but it has also added use by dates on my free charges, they were not there previously, which gives me three days to use them....so that has scuppered my holiday charging plans😕
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
i3 120Ah->Kona 64kWh->e208->ID.3 Family->Model 3 60kWh LFP
4,139 Posts

·
Registered
eNiro 4, (Niro EV 4 HP on order)
1,324 Posts
I’m still a fan
Works for me even though the freebies have started to be controlled

When it stops “working” for me, I will stop using it…..simples

·
Registered
2020 e-Golf
777 Posts
Not much to complain about in my view, it had cost you nothing to get those promotions in the first place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not much to complain about in my view, it had cost you nothing to get those promotions in the first place.
Of course it costs nothing. But it's really a very bad move to give goodies away and then take them back. I'm really considering never touching the app again after this. This really speaks about the type of management present right now at Bonnet and how little they care about their customers.

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
"Costing nothing" assumes that you place zero value on personal data. It's exceptionally rare for anything to be free, and whenever anyone tries to promote a product or service on the false basis that there are "freebies" then you can be pretty sure that something belonging to you is being taken and used in return. Whether than matters or not depends entirely on your own personal views about privacy.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
But it's really a very bad move to give goodies away and then take them back. I'm really considering never touching the app again after this. This really speaks about the type of management present right now at Bonnet and how little they care about their customers.
Agreed. You give goodies away to get users into your product and generate a bit of goodwill, but all this has done is to leave a sour taste in my mouth.
Additionally, I had a real problem getting a Geniepoint charger to work with bonnet - someone with a less geeky streak would have given up and driven away. The car/charger/app suppliers are getting the whole interaction process badly wrong.

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq Sportline 80
341 Posts
Should also be noted, its been quite hard on other forums I'm on to get people to buy into a new app like this, which I have convinced a few to. Feel a bit duped that we've been offered something and a quick T&C's change and poof its gone! As others have said, we are the product (our data mainly I would guess, this is like the new storecard), so basically we've been farmed to get their numbers inflated and then our side of the deal has been removed.

Admittedly if the codes are being shared far and wide, they need to crack down on it, but IMO that should apply going forward,not retrospecetively.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I can see where people are coming from especially with the codes but all things considered I'm still loyal to Bonnet. They have been pretty good to me, and they are instrumental to my cheap charging strategy.

650 kwh built up that I plan to roll over for 13 months using the referal credit ive earned. Of course that 13 months will also give me a further 260 kwh energy.

I really can't complain too much.

·
Registered
47 Posts
And I suspect we will still see promotional free or discounted charges, but perhaps more targeted directly to subsets of users via the app.

241 - 260 of 269 Posts