Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
261 - 269 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS EV #teamwhite
53 Posts
…..650 kwh built up that I plan to roll over for 13 months using the referal credit ive earned. Of course that 13 months will also give me a further 260 kwh energy.
That’s a good deal indeed 😀
Do we think Bonnet will still be here in 13 months time though? Price rises, removal of free codes with very short timescales, quick Ts&Cs changes, still missing some key CPOs, and the general unpredictability of the world in general??

·
Registered
97 Posts
That’s a good deal indeed 😀
Do we think Bonnet will still be here in 13 months time though? Price rises, removal of free codes with very short timescales, quick Ts&Cs changes, still missing some key CPOs, and the general unpredictability of the world in general??
I think so.

I believe to some extent they will lie dormant but will emerge again when evs become more widespread and naturally more people start to use the public charging network. Hopefully that will coincide with cheaper energy prices.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
1,097 Posts
I think so.

I believe to some extent they will lie dormant but will emerge again when evs become more widespread and naturally more people start to use the public charging network. Hopefully that will coincide with cheaper energy prices.
I don't see that myself. The more widespread the use of EVs, the more we are pulling in people who will have no truck with fannying about with apps like earlier adopters might have done. it will be contactless for these people or forget it, they will stick to ICE.

On a small scale, there is a place for multi platform accounts, with the Octopus model for example being of benefit because they charge your home energy account keeping things in one place. But we already have several of these and bonnet is just another one now that their prices are nothing special. If they survive, it will be small scale and I don't see what the business model was for pouring large chunks of cash at it. But perhaps I am just not innovative enough.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't see that myself. The more widespread the use of EVs, the more we are pulling in people who will have no truck with fannying about with apps like earlier adopters might have done. it will be contactless for these people or forget it, they will stick to ICE.

On a small scale, there is a place for multi platform accounts, with the Octopus model for example being of benefit because they charge your home energy account keeping things in one place. But we already have several of these and bonnet is just another one now that their prices are nothing special. If they survive, it will be small scale and I don't see what the business model was for pouring large chunks of cash at it. But perhaps I am just not innovative enough.
If it's cheaper they will use an app. We just need to hope energy prices come down.

There's other benefits too, it just needs to be properly conveyed. Given the choice right now I'd use the bonnet app over contactless.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I can see where people are coming from especially with the codes but all things considered I'm still loyal to Bonnet. They have been pretty good to me, and they are instrumental to my cheap charging strategy.

650 kwh built up that I plan to roll over for 13 months using the referal credit ive earned. Of course that 13 months will also give me a further 260 kwh energy.

I really can't complain too much.
And, in a similar spirit, I can see that you have done well out of them, provided they last long enough for you to use the credit. My point was only ever that it couldn’t last, because it is ultimately parasitical on the CPOs. For a few like Paul the advantage of no authorizations is important, but all the evidence in the past has been that most people want to pay for their charges like they used to pay for their petrol, with a bank card.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
And, in a similar spirit, I can see that you have done well out of them, provided they last long enough for you to use the credit. My point was only ever that it couldn’t last, because it is ultimately parasitical on the CPOs. For a few like Paul the advantage of no authorizations is important, but all the evidence in the past has been that most people want to pay for their charges like they used to pay for their petrol, with a bank card.
It was fun with the free charges/discounted price for a while but at the end of the day ChargePlace Scotland rapids are 30p kWh... Plus I rarely actually need to use rapids :) Bonnet is a good idea but the world has gone to pot right now...

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
Why should paying for a charge be any different to paying for anything else?

99% of everything I pay for is either by card or by Apple Pay, and almost all payments are contactless now. I struggle to see why a special, and less convenient, payment system is needed for charging, TBH. The low price argument doesn't stack up at all, I bought the paper this morning at the village shop by waving a card over a terminal, as usual, and that cost a lot less than a typical charge.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Why should paying for a charge be any different to paying for anything else?

99% of everything I pay for is either by card or by Apple Pay, and almost all payments are contactless now. I struggle to see why a special, and less convenient, payment system is needed for charging, TBH. The low price argument doesn't stack up at all, I bought the paper this morning at the village shop by waving a card over a terminal, as usual, and that cost a lot less than a typical charge.
In a perfect world public charging would all be contactless, a set price and uniform in process.

We don't live in that world. Until we do I will continue to make use of whatever cost savings there are.

The fact that bonnet also provides other useful features such as low reserve funds makes it a worthwhile app. Add freebies and offers and it becomes even more compelling.

The price hike has admittedly made it slightly less appealing but I think we are all hopeful for a better tomorrow where energy prices start to normalise.

Bonnet will lie dormant for a while, slowly but surely growing its user base through referrals etc. The EV market will have grown by then with more and more people dependant on the public charging network. The hope is all this will coincide with cheaper energy prices.

Bonnet can then emerge from its chrysalis and contact its, by then vast database. If the price is right then its a no-brainer to use Bonnet. The slight inconvenience of using an app is a small price to pay.

261 - 269 of 269 Posts