Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,961 Posts
Woke up this morning, booted up Bonnet app to plan my morning charge and surprised that GeniePoint seemed available? This is great news as GeniePoint has more chargers in Yorkshire area. Have not yet tried it yet, but am gonna to my trusty Osprey today.

Any other new partners you all noticed? The bonnet website not updated with any new partners and no tweet about it too.
Wonder if this is why?

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
i3 120Ah->Kona 64kWh->e208->ID.3 Family->Model 3 60kWh LFP
4,104 Posts
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your comments - we're working on updating the UI at the moment to make it easier to to use and understand! This is the case across Android and iOS. I've shared your comments with the team and we're taking them onboard. We are a startup and a relatively small team, so we do appreciate feedback so that we can continue to make Bonnet a better app for all EV Drivers.

Thanks,
Bonnet
I literally just refreshed updates on my iPhone and have this one dowloading now - so maybe there are some improvements there.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

I would just say, really try to put yourselves in the shoes of someone who has never used the app before, or better still, get family & friends unfamiliar with it to test it unprompted while you observe them.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hi EricM,

Thanks for directing us to the right post. I've double checked this with the backend team and they're reporting it to our partners to help ensure it doesn't happen again.

Thanks,
Bonnet
Now that there's a convenient nearby charger that I can use to test the app again I'll probably do so - however it'll be several days before I'll have room to add any more to battery.

I would just like to note that the scenario described in post #92 was not the cause of my problems on Sunday. I did indeed plug in first at Fareham but when that failed to work I re-read the ambiguous instructions and started again from scratch without plugging in before a clearer prompt - however it still didn't work. And at Lutterworth, I didn't plug in initially but again it still didn't work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Finally tried the GeniePoint charger. Once you plug-in and initiate the charge on the app, u need to physically press the touchscreen on the charging station itself for the charger to start. As typical genie point chargers are, a roaring loud sound started from the charger 🤣

able to end the charge from the app as usual later on.

still much prefer osprey one button initiation from the app. Can genie point chargers make it more simple to use?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had issue today with GeniePoint charger, it just stopped the charge by itself on my Nissan Leaf without me stopping the charge. It was barely 15 minutes charging and it stopped. Reported to the live support, waiting for resolution

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Now that there's a convenient nearby charger that I can use to test the app again I'll probably do so - however it'll be several days before I'll have room to add any more to battery.
I have now tried a GeniePoint charger at local Morrisons. Battery had reduced to 33% so ought to have accepted a 50kW connection.

Still found it very confusing - e.g. App was saying waiting to contact GeniePoint and not to do anything else until it gave a message that I could plug in. I never actually got that sort of message ! Touching screen (as suggested above by ffxmadman although neither app or machine asked for that) didn't seem to do anything but a few seconds later app announced it was charging (even though car not plugged in !) and started its timer; charger started making a humming noise. I immediately plugged in (when timer had been running a few seconds) and charging light on car's dashboard started flashing. The GeniePoint charger's screen was saying nothing helpful (still suggesting I should swipe a payment card but I didn't) and continued like that.

I walked away leaving car charging and came back after 10mins to find it all looking the same.

At 15mins 00secs on app's timer I clicked the <stop charging> button but timer kept running. A few seconds later I unplugged the lead whereupon the GeniePoint charger's screen announced it had delivered 10.91kWh (but didn't mention time it had been charging). I'd say it was close to 15m:00s App reports it delivered 11kWh. My best guess is that charging had been at approx 44kW

·
Registered
43 Posts
Finally tried the GeniePoint charger. Once you plug-in and initiate the charge on the app, u need to physically press the touchscreen on the charging station itself for the charger to start.

Can genie point chargers make it more simple to use?
I used a GeniePoint for the first time today and was all set to confirm on screen (as directed by the Bonnet app) but I didn't have to - charge started solely from app - so perhaps some variance across GeniePoint chargers?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Used Geniepoint for 1st time with Bonnet app. Bit confusing as people mentioned above, as screen said - don't plug in until app prompts you. I waited a while and nothing happened. Decided to press Start on phone anyway and then it prompted me to plug in and confirm. All went fine after that . Screen on charger was not touched .

Should have read the posts above to save me stressing out ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Just off the A34 SW of Newbury (Shell Little Waitrose Tothill Services RG20 9BX) is a Shell petrol station which ZapMap shows as having 4 charging units from Shell Recharge.

Not a hint of them on the Bonnet map !

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kw
152 Posts
May not help but i have a shell recharge card and was given a 3 month discount. The strange thing was many of the shell chargers did not qualify. On my way to Wales i located a shell station from the bonnet app and it worked first try

·
Registered
58 Posts
It would be good if in the app there was a tab or page that listed the currently supported networks or chargers. I wanted to see if instavolt or osprey were supported but could not see apart from doing an actual location search to look for chargers where I already knew from ABRP what chargers I wanted to use, I just wanted to see if I could use Bonnet to pay for them.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
It would be good if in the app there was a tab or page that listed the currently supported networks or chargers. I wanted to see if instavolt or osprey were supported but could not see apart from doing an actual location search to look for chargers where I already knew from ABRP what chargers I wanted to use, I just wanted to see if I could use Bonnet to pay for them.
When they have a system that will work with some Shell machines but not others, such a list wouldn't help much ! Would you want them to list Shell as a partner or omit them ? Are there other companies with a similar policy ? Maybe it's just Shell (as Border_all suggests ?).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just off the A34 SW of Newbury (Shell Little Waitrose Tothill Services RG20 9BX) is a Shell petrol station which ZapMap shows as having 4 charging units from Shell Recharge.

Not a hint of them on the Bonnet map !
That is a shame, I was planning to use those chargers on a trip down to Southampton and it would have been a good time to use Bonnet. I did not know they did not have all Shell chargers.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
That is a shame, I was planning to use those chargers on a trip down to Southampton and it would have been a good time to use Bonnet. I did not know they did not have all Shell chargers.
I too am off to Southampton soon and Tothill Services would have been a great place to stop. Still hoping it might be by then.

In Bonnet's defence, it's likely that anything you actually see on their map might work (though alas that wasn't my experience a couple of weeks ago !) whereas saying "we're paired with some Shell outlets" wouldn't be a great help.

@JoinBonnet Can you explain why Shell have that situation and is it similar for any other network ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
This month I have Successfully used various Osprey , Genie ( Premier Inn and Morrisons) , Shell and ESB units this month 50 to 120 kWh ( rated…. Got 49/ 99 ). all near the same price as my home tariff. Just one failed attempt .. and the other people using different apps/ cards had same problem. When I was in a hurry the other day I went “ off bonnet” and tried a 350kwh Ionity site… and could only get 36kwh.. serves me right.

Reactions: ukwizard

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
755 Posts
After heavily using Bonnet and promoting it to a few people, I've decided to take a break and try more operators not available in your app. I've had loads of poor experiences at GeniePoint with bonnet. Still, the final nail in the coffin was yesterday when I arrived at an Osprey desperately needing a top-up, and there was no good mobile signal. After a few failed attempts, I gave up and tapped my contactless card, and the charging experience was faultless. However, it cost a whopping 49p per kWh. At this price, Osprey is now more expensive than Tesla Superchargers (46p for 250 kW) and even GRIDSERVE (45p for 150/350 kW). MFG EV Power, another operator, is also gaining more popularity among the EV community, which I will be trying out over the coming months.

Right now, the only killer feature of Bonnet is the price. At 25p, it is quite cheap, but everything else with the app and the experience is a hit or miss often due to factors that are not in Bonnet's control. Even the database of Bonnet does not include all compatible chargers, especially Shell Recharge. Perhaps, Bonnet could explore being part of the Plug & Charge ecosystem or offer RFID in the interim like electric juice. Still, an app-only approach with a limited database is not working for me.

I wish all the very best to the team @JoinBonnet for making public charging affordable for many EV owners.

·
Registered
2020 e-Golf
702 Posts
I believe the Shell issue relates to them merging separate networks/brands into Recharge, seeing as they previously also had New Motion.

101 - 120 of 158 Posts