Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Let us take this opportunity to introduce ourselves….
We are made up of a team of friendly and approachable motor industry and environmentally aware individuals. All with a shared passion for encouraging as many people as possible to consider choosing electric as their car of choice. Quite rightly the industry is undertaking an electric revolution and we want to help people become part of it.

Our Story
Through searching for an electric car for ourselves we quickly realised it is quite difficult to find everything we needed to know in one place. What exactly is an electric or hybrid car? What car is right for me? I’ve heard about incentives to change into electric where do I start to look? Lots of fairly simple questions but where to start to try and answer them was an issue and took too long so we gave up and went back to what we know and pursued the usual petrol or diesel cars. But that didn’t feel like the right thing to do, we are all conscious of the environment and eventually most cars will be electric or hybrid and quite frankly we really wanted to own one.
So we decided that if we can’t find the information we needed, all in one place.. then we would set up a website of our own that did just that.. we asked ourselves, if the future of the motor industry is electric… what can we do about it? and this is where Go Charged was created.

Our Vision
Over the last year we’ve worked closely with our colleagues in the industry and done hundreds of hours of research to understand the electric vehicle market in every aspect so we can provide you with a ‘one-stop shop’ for everything electric cars. We want to guide you through the process of switching electric through providing the information you need.
We’ll educate you every step of the way to help you find the car that’s right for you, source the charging point you need, look at the best tariffs for you and then connect you to one of our approved dealers or suppliers who will take care of the rest. Simple.

Power to the people (so to speak)
And finally… we really do want to achieve our goal so if you can’t find the answer to a question you have about electric cars let us know and we will find the answer and put it on the site!
We would love to hear from you.

Enjoy our site and we hope you can find everything you need to GoCharged.
Send us an email

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice idea.. but the website doesn't really seem to have been thoroughly tested yet.

eg.

1) This Elinta is '"The cheapest charge point we offer"...... (apart from the 2 others on the same page that are cheaper).

2) It is "Fully Compatible"............... with what......???

3) Trying to look at any chargers requires selection of a vehicle type first. Why?

4) The above selection always defaults to Audi E-tron.

5) Andersen A2... "from £645".....really...??!!

6) The Eo Mini Pro is "Perfect for descrete home charging"

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
No such thing as an AC EV charger, its an EVSE, Electric vehicle supply equipment, in reality a fancy plug. The AC charger is built into the car. Stick with calling it a charge point not a charger.
The only EV chargers are DC and are normally called Rapids though there are some low power DC chargers around but they are still expensive to buy compared to EVSE units.

Reactions: GrumpyOldMark

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,900 Posts
An interesting project. But I'm a bit puzzled about how it will be discovered by people who are EV curious. Also about the commercial future and how the site will be financed. Is it intended to operate a bit like comparison energy sites and hope to take a % from suppliers of cars or equipment if a contact from the site results in a sale? As this is a rapidly growing market in all directions it could soon become a treadmill to keep the contents up to date and relevant. This forum might attract a few potential EV buyers and a permanent thread under the 'Vendor Members Section' of the forum could be useful to such newbies. But most members already have much of the basic knowledge being shown on the site so will not find a benefit. However, good luck with the launch.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice idea.. but the website doesn't really seem to have been thoroughly tested yet.

eg.

View attachment 137321

1) This Elinta is '"The cheapest charge point we offer"...... (apart from the 2 others on the same page that are cheaper).

2) It is "Fully Compatible"............... with what......???

3) Trying to look at any chargers requires selection of a vehicle type first. Why?

4) The above selection always defaults to Audi E-tron.

5) Andersen A2... "from £645".....really...??!!

6) The Eo Mini Pro is "Perfect for descrete home charging"
Thanks for pointing out the issues!

We're a new site and obviously it's difficult to make sure every detail is perfect right from the off, so we appreciate you pointing out the errors here.

In answer to your questions...

2) Fully compatible is short hand for fully compatible with all plug-in vehicle brands
3) You don't have to select a vehicle to view all charge points. The charge points display automatically underneath, the feature is there as a handy guide to provide a recommendation for types of charge points for those who aren't fully aware of the ins and outs of charging and might need some guidance.
4) We will take a look at this but we've tested the function and it shouldn't default to the Audi e-Tron

Thanks again for taking the time to look through the site and provide some feedback. We hope you find it useful in the future!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An interesting project. But I'm a bit puzzled about how it will be discovered by people who are EV curious. Also about the commercial future and how the site will be financed. Is it intended to operate a bit like comparison energy sites and hope to take a % from suppliers of cars or equipment if a contact from the site results in a sale? As this is a rapidly growing market in all directions it could soon become a treadmill to keep the contents up to date and relevant. This forum might attract a few potential EV buyers and a permanent thread under the 'Vendor Members Section' of the forum could be useful to such newbies. But most members already have much of the basic knowledge being shown on the site so will not find a benefit. However, good luck with the launch.
Thanks for your feedback!

We're marketing the website through various channels, this forum is just one of them. We're capturing customers who are EV newbies through google searches and social media and the feedback so far is that they find it really helpful! You're correct that the site intends to operate a bit like a comparison site. We're the first and only comparison site for all aspects of EV ownership, and like you've said, it's a rapidly growing market, so hopefully you can see why there's a gap in the market for this! We appreciate your comments and for wishing us luck with the launch.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, but I was doubtful when I saw the Ionic listed as a coupe and then the picture of the 'Taycan' is actually a Panamera hybrid.
Hi Ian, thanks for pointing out those two errors with the site. We've corrected them and appreciate that you've taken the time to look at the website.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm glad to see something like this as I would have benefited when doing my research previously.

That said, I am not sure as your vehicle list only includes cars currently available and to be truly helpful it needs to support the needs of the 2nd hand market. As we progress I fully expect standards to harmonise so there won't be as much confusion re charging standards for future models, but there will still be a lack of clarity for older models.

Secondly it would be really useful if, in your icons for each car, you show where the charging port is, e.g. Front central, rear LHS and so on. Not an issue for public charging, but helpful when deciding how you might park it in your garage and/or where to site the home charge point.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm glad to see something like this as I would have benefited when doing my research previously.

That said, I am not sure as your vehicle list only includes cars currently available and to be truly helpful it needs to support the needs of the 2nd hand market. As we progress I fully expect standards to harmonise so there won't be as much confusion re charging standards for future models, but there will still be a lack of clarity for older models.

Secondly it would be really useful if, in your icons for each car, you show where the charging port is, e.g. Front central, rear LHS and so on. Not an issue for public charging, but helpful when deciding how you might park it in your garage and/or where to site the home charge point.
Hi James,

Thanks for your feedback! We agree that the second hand EV market will be a bit of a minefield for customers and it's something we're looking to incorporate in the future.

That's a great idea for the charging ports, we might just have to steal it... thanks for your comments and for checking out the site :)

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,900 Posts
Actually, it's not just a home charge issue. My Ioniq has the port on the passenger side rear. On chargers like the Instavolt Rapids, in particular, it is highly inconvenient. There are usually two units in two bays. If I reverse centrally into either bay the CCS plug exits from the left side of that charger and the cable simply isn't long enough to reach around the rear of the car to the port. I have two options. One is to park in the left bay and use the charger in the right hand bay. Assuming that I am the only car there of course. Or I can reverse into the left bay so that the car is straddling the bay parking lines over to the left to allow the cable to reach. The first option is easiest but becomes an issue if a second car arrives to charge.

This means that any input on the site that discusses the pros and cons of plug placement such as seen in this constant irritation to me, rather than just a bare statement of the placement, would be very useful to potential buyers. To give useful information concerning home charger placement, but also to switch people on to real-world issues caused by individual OEMs take on where ports should be located. I know that this subject has been bandied about for years but for ease of use you can't beat a port central to the front. Perhaps a section of the website would be helpful that is dedicated to a discussion on port positions in each car featured. Not just giving the bare facts but also the reasons for and against each position. With examples such as my own cars slight incompatibility with Instavolt to explain common situations that they may need to be aware of in advance.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,900 Posts
Cables included ?
Question is plural but not sure how you answer for the cheap skates like BMW who just give a granny
I looked at a 225xe and the big X series thing, both said Yes to this question on your site.

Others mfg do the opposite and no EVSE brick.
Decent ones give both.

You may want to answer it with 4 different answers

Y just Type2
Y just EVSE
Y both EVSE & Type2
N

·
Registered
Kona64
1,900 Posts
Also a lot of people may go straight to a car search summary --- you may want a statement somewhere a bit like the following

Our Electric Range values listed are WTPL for comparison purposes only, and not real-world indications - you should assume around 80% of the WTPL is most likely .

Whilst most people on this forum might fully know that, some people are still taken in that the WTPL is a given-that-is-what-you'll-get-everyday. Just read through the speak ev entries about My Range Isn't xxxxx

·
Registered
Kona64
1,900 Posts
ok and now the real thing I don't like.

YOU'RE USING THE PHRASE SELF CHARGING

Ignoring whether a Full Hybrid is an electric car in the manner you mean, pleaseeeeeeeee don't call them self charging it is so misleading.
Personally? just remove them - your site is about things that need charging isn't it ?

Others feel free to shout me down but use instead: Full Hybrid.
( which then allows you to add on Mild Hybrid ones if you really wanted to stretch the electricity involved envelope )

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,900 Posts
What is important is that sites like 'GoCharged' should be brutally frank when discussing any reference to 'self-charging' and fully explain to newbies, who have been taken in by dodgy advertising, that apart from a minuscule amount of energy scavenged by downhill regeneration, the petrol engine is still the sole motivation means for the vehicle. And that any self-charging has to come from the burning of petrol. Perhaps also confirm that a hybrid cars' economy comes from the use of an Atkinson Cycle petrol engine. This engine configuration is ideal for hybrids because their electric motor makes up for the lost low-speed output. But wouldn't work satisfactorily without that battery assistance. Explain that there is no magic involved that makes a so-called self-charging hybrid superior to a proper PHEV that has a plug and can be charged with low-cost electricity from the mains.

This message must be spelt out in words of one syllable to people who are researching the market to counterbalance the huge sums spent by Toyota on advertising that myth.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ok and now the real thing I don't like.

YOU'RE USING THE PHRASE SELF CHARGING

Ignoring whether a Full Hybrid is an electric car in the manner you mean, pleaseeeeeeeee don't call them self charging it is so misleading.
Personally? just remove them - your site is about things that need charging isn't it ?

Others feel free to shout me down but use instead: Full Hybrid.
( which then allows you to add on Mild Hybrid ones if you really wanted to stretch the electricity involved envelope )
Agreed - I don't think the site should focus on full/mild hybrids at all, as they are fundamentally a different purchase proposition.. But then the site needs to make commercial sense at some point and including hybrids, given their popularity, is probably key to that.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,900 Posts
But then the site needs to make commercial sense at some point and including hybrids, given their popularity, is probably key to that.
Agreed. But to follow on from my earlier reply I just came across this Chargemap blog which goes into the different hybrid features in a bit of detail. Something like this in the GoCharged site would also be of benefit to people researching their first EV.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts