Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m not sure what to call it, but has anyone already written up an introduction to EVs for those contemplating making the switch?

I’ve been asked for advice on buying/using an EV several times. So to save time I started to write an introduction, but I’ve found it harder than expected.

I’m struggling to keep it concise yet avoid being so high level it provides too little information. I think I’d need to split it in two, the first part a high level guide, the second part going into detail.

But in case I am re-inventing the wheel I thought I’d ask if any of you had already created something similar.

·
Registered
393 Posts
A good idea. 👍

A lot of thought to be put in and work to do I imagine.

I'm not aware of any similar resource on here, perhaps others may further advise.

Anyway, good luck with your project 👍

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,823 Posts
I’m not sure what to call it, but has anyone already written up an introduction to EVs for those contemplating making the switch?

I’ve been asked for advice on buying/using an EV several times. So to save time I started to write an introduction, but I’ve found it harder than expected.

I’m struggling to keep it concise yet avoid being so high level it provides too little information. I think I’d need to split it in two, the first part a high level guide, the second part going into detail.

But in case I am re-inventing the wheel I thought I’d ask if any of you had already created something similar.
It's a really difficult thing to write, as you've found. I would break it down into different elements of EV ownership, driving, charging, servicing, etc....

Charging is the biggie. I tried writing something a while ago, prompted by the high incidence of people using type2 sockets on rapid chargers and marking the charger as fault on zap-map... nothing wrong with it. Even that got too lengthy and I abandoned it.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
204 Posts
If it helps…

There’s a series of videos for newcomers to EVs over at electrifying.com:

Also Gary Comerford (aka EVMusings on podcast/twitter) has a e-book for Kindle, just over £1 on Amazon:

I haven’t watched the videos or read the book, so can’t comment on the content, sorry.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I prefer something I can read rather than a video I have to watch through, but I'm old-fashioned that way.
Me too :)

The electrifying.com PDF is good, I think I’ll hand that out as an intro then answer the hopefully better informed questions afterwards.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
204 Posts
@CoalPorter's link to electrifying.com seems very good. I just found (from the same site) the downloadable PDF Beginner's Guide to Going Electric, concise, readable and seems accurate. (I prefer something I can read rather than a video I have to watch through, but I'm old-fashioned that way.)
Damn, I was sure they had done a PDF, just didn’t see the link to post - thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
The problem I find when friends & colleagues ask me about my EV is that the answer is always "it depends".

"How long does it take to charge?"
"it depends"

"What's the range?"
"it depends"

"What does it cost to charge?"
"it depends"

There's never a simple "one size fits all" answer to EV questions, so providing a guide that suits all readers' requirements is never going to be easy.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,879 Posts
Fully Charged did a number of videos with Maddie Moate if I remember correctly, they seemed to get good feedback from new EV’ers.

I didn’t watch them myself, I’m a bloke so automatically know everything there is to know about cars… 😉😂

Trouble is, things are moving on so quickly, so even that series is less helpful than it was as the number, type and price of EVs is much wider now, as are the charging options.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Fully Charged did a number of videos with Maddie Moate if I remember correctly, they seemed to get good feedback from new EV’ers.

I didn’t watch them myself, I’m a bloke so automatically know everything there is to know about cars… 😉😂

Trouble is, things are moving on so quickly, so even that series is less helpful than it was as the number, type and price of EVs is much wider now, as are the charging options.
My wife found the" Maddie Moat Goes Electric" videos the most informative of any that she looked at earlier this year, when deciding whether or not to buy and EV. She said that the best part about them was that they were presented by someone that was going up the same learning curve as any other new EV owner, and that they included several mistakes she made, like wondering why the car was charging so slowly at a rapid charger (she'd used the Type 2 connector rather than the CCS). My wife's probably one of the least car savvy people I know, so is probably pretty representative of many new EV owners.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts

Think it was called Maddie goes electric?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts