Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here I am signed up for the forum after reading many of the posts over the last few months, and I have also signed up with the US Volt forum, so between the two forums there is a huge amount of information available to owners and prospective buyers.
I had a short test drive in an Ampera a couple of months back and at the time thought it was very good, just what I fancied. So, back home again in a couple of weeks and I'm fixed up with a 3 day test, so that should make up my mind or not, if so, then it'll be a Christmas present ordering session with delivery next spring. The biggest problem I have is that I'm not due to become an OAP until May 2015 which would be a good time to actually have the car delivered, but being impulsive, I got a feeling there will be an Ampera at the door in 6-9 months time. Just need to get my son to excercise it for a few miles at the week-ends.
On a different note, I've been checking out the new Lexus IS300h and in first impressions it sounds very nice, but when you look at the electric range it just goes off the boil. My own view is that Lexus have shot themselves in the foot by going with the standard hybrid system instead of using the Plug-In one. If they had have done that, them mabyee I would be looking at a Lexus.

Cheers to all

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I understand that Lexus is the same group as Toyota so I'd expect them to use a very similar or even the same system.
I don't see why may 2015 would be a good time to own an Amp, the sooner the better surely :) - especially as the amp really works for commuting, if you are looking at your average drive being nearer 100 miles (say weekend only driving not commuting) then using the range extender may not be as efficent as other cars.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Hi Colin and welcome to the forum :)

What a Christmas to look forward too!

Regarding the Lexus... I have always liked the Lexus brand and I have had 5 Toyotas over the years. I would love to be able to consider a Lexus hybrid. However, they are no "plug in" hybrids and so in my opinion they are not hybrids at all. They get all their energy from fossil fuel and so it is difficult to see them as anything more than efficient ICE (internal combustion engine) cars. The plug-in Prius is a true hybrid but with a range of under 15 miles it isn't very useful unless your journeys are all 10-15 miles between charges... unlikely for anyone.

Right now I think that the Ampera is by far the best option for people wanting a true hybrid and one that has useful range on electricity only. Some people are getting 100, 200 or even 300 lifetime mpg from their Ampera... no hybrid on the market can get that. Combine that with a cost of just £2.50 per 100 miles for me when charged overnight and it becomes an absolute winner.

Thanks for joining in the discussion on the forum. It is great to have new faces and new ideas.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Parax said:
I understand that Lexus is the same group as Toyota so I'd expect them to use a very similar or even the same system.
I don't see why may 2015 would be a good time to own an Amp, the sooner the better surely :) - especially as the amp really works for commuting, if you are looking at your average drive being nearer 100 miles (say weekend only driving not commuting) then using the range extender may not be as efficent as other cars.
Hi Parax, the thing with my commute is that it takes 3 flights each way with a total of about about 12,000 miles return. I'm only back home every couple of months, so I would have to rely on my son keeping the car excercised, that's as long as he can by prized out go the Toyota GT 86 that he's drooling over. Looking forward to putting some miles on the test drive car.

Regards

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
ha, I bet you don't do that commute every day ;) ah also explains the waiting thing. I wouldn't worry too much about leaving the car unused for a while as long as its plugged in it'll look after itself, and I was advised that it'd be fine even unplugged for a few months... (still worth getting advice direct) so it probably wont need so much attention, but to be honest your son might be surprised by the performance (and running cost!), Don't be tempted to try the sport button to early in your test drive, it's addictive and it'll ruin your economy figures...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts