Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've my ION connected to my tethered Zappi with an adapter, and the Zappi is reporting the car pulling 3.1kW.

Does the car show that it's charging? It stopped charging after a couple of hours, but when I checked it wasn't full :-(
I don't know if this was stopped by Zappi or the Car. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
When the car is charging it will have a solid red power plug shaped light below the word power on the power gauge also the battery gauge will be lit up showing the current charge level.

Ion’s always charge to 100% on AC so it sounds like the Zappi stopped the charge. How is your Zappi configured ? Are you sure you don’t have charge timers set in the Zappi ?

·
richi.uk
237 Posts
I had a similar problem with a Podpoint: it would start charging fine, but when I looked at it later, it had stopped. I believe the problem was me pushing in the connector too fast.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The Ion can pause a couple of times during charging - you may find it stops for 30 minutes or so, then starts again. I'd only worry if its still stopped after an hour.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
To be clear, "pause" just means that the power consumption drops down from 3kW to about 50 watts for about 15-20 minutes at around 40% SoC. (And it doesn't always happen)

The car never drops the J1772 signalling for the charge session, so is telling the EVSE the whole time that it wants to charge. If the EVSE terminates the charging session due to the power drawn dropping low for a period of time then it is not compliant with the J1772 standard and this should be addressed with the provider of the EVSE.... ;)

I've monitored this reduction in power many times and it has never caused an aborted charge session for me either on my Rolec at home or public chargers for that matter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - according to my Zappi logs, the car is asking for charge, just not taking it. I left it as advised and it did resume pulling at 3kW.

·
richi.uk
237 Posts
Yeah, sounds like one of the balancing phases: either the occasional bottom balance, as described by @DBMandrake, or the top balance that happens at not far off fully-charged.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The battery will (in winter) have around 14miles remaining on the GOM. And Ideally, I need an hour of charge to get the second commute completed, having the car decide to reject, or postpone the charge isn't very helpful.

The car starts full with around 60 miles of range (but as soon as the heater is turned on this drops to 30). This seems a little excessive.

The first commute is 26miles, and the GOM states around 12-14 upon her return.

As the second commute is 12miles, I'd been suggested an hour of charge between the two for peace of mind.

But the hour doesn't seem to be adding much. I'll try and get some stats and compare the Zappi to the granny cable/

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,169 Posts
If you're getting the range to drop to half with heat, it sounds like you're putting it on full power, pressing the max button and possibly adding AC as well. That's the only time I have ever seen it literally half the range instantly. Could you not try turning the power and temperature down a bit, and maybe using your heated seat if fitted?

These cars can only charge at ~3kW, so one hour of charge isn't going to give you a huge range boost, especially if it decides to pause for cell balancing.

If you need to be straight back out do you have a rapid charger anywhere nearby? Even if you stopped for only 5 minutes to plug in it would give you more than your extra 12 miles you need. Of course this will be less necessary if you can reduce the power going to the heating system, and even more so in the warmer weather when it comes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@80698 - yes I have played with the settings. If I do put it on full power for the screen defrost for a few minutes and then revert to a more battery-friendly setting it jumps back up to 40miles on the GOM.
I'm going to drive the wife's commute tomorrow to see how I get on with keeping warm at 6am in the cold. I'm sure it's just a matter of working within the limitations of the car and its range, but I was hoping that an hour on the Zappi would add 12 miles.

I might have a go with Canion watching the charge rate between the two chargers

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@80698 - yes I have played with the settings. If I do put it on full power for the screen defrost for a few minutes and then revert to a more battery-friendly setting it jumps back up to 40miles on the GOM.
I'm going to drive the wife's commute tomorrow to see how I get on with keeping warm at 6am in the cold. I'm sure it's just a matter of working within the limitations of the car and its range, but I was hoping that an hour on the Zappi would add 12 miles.

I might have a go with Canion watching the charge rate between the two chargers

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
The battery will (in winter) have around 14miles remaining on the GOM. And Ideally, I need an hour of charge to get the second commute completed, having the car decide to reject, or postpone the charge isn't very helpful.
Charging at 3kW will add 3kWh in an hour, which is about 10 miles of winter (heater on) range and maybe 14 miles of summer heater off range.
The car starts full with around 60 miles of range (but as soon as the heater is turned on this drops to 30). This seems a little excessive.
When you first turn on the heater the range drop will initially be pessimistic. This is because the heater immediately goes up to about 5.5kW to heat up the heater fluid circuit to the set temperature as fast as possible, (The temperature knob actually specifies the temperature of the water circulating through the heater matrix, not cabin temperature) and the range estimate assumes the heater will consume 5.5kW for the entire journey, which it won't, even if you have it set on max.

The drive train is very efficient and only needs about 5kW to keep you going at a constant 30mph, so if you turn on 5kW of heat you halve your range (initially) at that speed, hence why you see the drop from 60 to 30.

After approx 5 minutes (depends how high you set the temperature and how cold the ambient temperature is) the heater matrix will reach the set temperature and the power level will start dropping back to maintain this temperature, just like the radiators in your house initially going flat out then dropping back when the room warms up.

However the GOM range estimate is not frequently updated in response to changes in heater power consumption, probably to stop it jumping around a lot, however it does update in response to adjusting the fan speed, so after about 5 minutes try changing the fan speed slightly and then back again and you should notice the GOM figure update to a less pessimistic one.

Fan speed has more effect on range than the actual temperature setting when the heater is on I find, since the higher the airflow through the heater matrix the more heat it can remove which then has to be replaced...once the car is up to temperature I tend to leave the temperature setting high - between half and full, and just dial the fan back sometimes to one or two notches.

Canion has two very useful graphs - heater flow and return temperature and heater power consumption. These can show what's going on with the heater and how much power it is using once warmed up etc. Typically I find it drops to 2-3kW once the car is warmed up and I've turned the fan down a bit.
The first commute is 26miles, and the GOM states around 12-14 upon her return.

As the second commute is 12miles, I'd been suggested an hour of charge between the two for peace of mind.

But the hour doesn't seem to be adding much. I'll try and get some stats and compare the Zappi to the granny cable/
The "pause" only usually happens around 4 bars and typically doesn't last longer than 5-15 minutes so it shouldn't have too much effect. You're only going to add about 10 miles of winter range with an hour plugged in, if you're getting that then that's all you're likely to get.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts