Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried charging the Ion with a "smart" charger?

I've recently got a ohme cable but the Ion doesn't like it much unless you set it to charge immediately.

Ideally I want to charge during Octopus cheap rate windows.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Not sure what you mean by “doesn’t like it”. If you plug an Ion into an EVSE that is unpowered then turn the power on to the EVSE later it will start charging automatically.

That should be enough for it to work properly with any EVSE with a built in timer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I regularly charge my 2017 Ion with an Ohme 3-pin smart charger (three times a week on average) - which has been largely reliable for me, only minor issue is that the mileage requested in the app isn't very well calibrated - I decide on the mileage that I want and divide by 1.7 and then enter that number in the app and usually then get close to the mileage I want.
I'm on the Octopus Go tariff and the timing function for the cheap rate works fine for me (setting the charge schedule to finish by 4.30am).

I have tried the Ohme once on a 2012 C-Zero - and that had some issues - the app stated it charged overnight, but the car did not have any range added! Not sure if it was a connection problem between the Ohme and the cloud or not. I will try it again in the next week or two and see if it repeats. Is that a similar problem that you encountered?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you plug it in the charger does a bit of charging and adds a couple of miles, then it powers down and waits for the scheduled time.

But it won't restart charging after that, says there is a problem charging.

If I go into the app and choose the max charging override in the first 30 seconds or so after first plugging in then all is fine.

Which profile are you using, there are a few imiev / Ion and model year profiles to choose from?

I need a full charge to get to Sheffield and back so always have it to add 100%

That also limits the time for fiddling because a failure means I can't get to work!!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Not sure what you mean by “doesn’t like it”. If you plug an Ion into an EVSE that is unpowered then turn the power on to the EVSE later it will start charging automatically.

That should be enough for it to work properly with any EVSE with a built in timer.

Based on above advice, probably best to use s dumb granny cable and a 13A wall plug timer. Obviously not ideal but it will work.

I think that S Mandrake is suggestion the use of a wallmountef EVSE and running a timer to power the protocol controller on and off. That's only a small control current rather than the full 13A.

Hopefully I'm not too far off the mark????

·
Registered
4 Posts
When you plug it in the charger does a bit of charging and adds a couple of miles, then it powers down and waits for the scheduled time.

But it won't restart charging after that, says there is a problem charging.

If I go into the app and choose the max charging override in the first 30 seconds or so after first plugging in then all is fine.

Which profile are you using, there are a few imiev / Ion and model year profiles to choose from?

I need a full charge to get to Sheffield and back so always have it to add 100%

That also limits the time for fiddling because a failure means I can't get to work!!
I've been able to test my Ohme again a few times with a 2012 C-Zero today, and get the same issue as you do, i.e. it works fine if the charge schedule starts charging immediately, but if the charge schedule has an initial period of rest, it never charges.

Given that the car will know whether it has a charging cable plugged in, I wonder if there is something in the car's charging protocol that prevents it from allowing a charge in this scenario. E.g. if the car knows it has a cable connected but isn't receiving a charge because the Ohme charge schedule is in a rest period, then perhaps the car thinks it has a fault, and only re-sets if the cable is removed and reconnected.

The 2017 Ion is still working fine with the Ohme, so perhaps something changed on the car side when the C-Zero/Ion/i-miev was revised post 2012 (?)

I use the Ion 2015 profile in the Ohme app, but the choice of Ion or I-miev or year shouldn't make any difference for working with these cars (my understanding is that for the non API cars, the profile simply sets the name of the car on the app and tells the app roughly how big the car's battery capacity is).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts