Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the summer months, our 2015 ION would have a range of high sixties, and with some careful footwork, I did see 72miles once.

However currently, I'm only seeing around 48/50 miles of range, and that's before putting on the blower to clear the windscreen.

I appreciate that EV's loose range over the winter, so is 48/50 typical for other owners?

If so are there any other tricks to save power, but keep the cabin warm/clear. Would one of the 12v heaters help?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Similar ballpark to myself (y)

There are loads of ideas to heat these cars, from Amazon 12v heaters to hot water bottles. A diesel heater is the best bet.

Cheers

·
Registered
255 Posts
Similar range here. 34 miles range doing 83 on mway with a bit of heater. 45 to 55 miles range when trying. I've just installed a 5kw diesel webasto heater in line with the electric heater coolant loop.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,670 Posts
Would one of the 12v heaters help?
Probably not. All the ones I have seen are cheap and nasty, and rarely do their job at all.

How much range do you need? With the heater on all the time set to a comfortable temperature you're probably looking at about 35 miles of mixed use. You can probably squeeze a bit more out of it and make that 40 if careful and not afraid of seeing a turtle on the dash but if you are regularly discharging the battery right down it's not going to be great for the health long term. If you are really wanting more range than that, you are probably best off trying to find a different car rather than sacrificing comfort to push it further which will ultimately likely just cause more degradation and further reduce the range.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need 42 miles of range.
The last part of the journey from my wife's work to home is 6miles. When she arrived today the car had just 8 miles left, so I went and swapped over EV's so she didn't need to worry if the car was misty inside.
Anyway I drove home and CanION said that I'd still got 20% battery remaining, and 8miles range. When I arrived home I was on 1 mile, but CanION says I still have 10% left.
So when should I expect to see the Turtle, and how far can I limp in that mode.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think a lot of the mist problems are due to long term moisture build up (in the seats, carpets, etc) rather than breath during the drive. Cracking the windows for the last few miles of every drive can help. If you have enough battery to get home blast the heat and ac for the last 10 mins of every drive of you can (going to the shops, etc).

I have also put a household dehumidifier and a 2kw electric heater in the car overnight sometimes to dry and preheat the car.

I always drive with the fans on 1 click and no heat pointed to the screen minimum to keep airflow and stop moisture building up.

Even just leaving the windows open whilst parked on a cool dry day will help massively.

Also keeping the glass spotlessly clean inside and out will help with mist. The windscreen gets particularly dirty due the plastic evaporating off the dash as it ages and coating the screen in dirt, this provides nucleation sites for water to condense more readily and the screen can hold a greater mass of moisture.

I'm about to look into plastic films to reduce conductivity of the glass to reduce condensation

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I did try a coating of Fog-X but not overly convinced.
Yeah tried that. TBH, as said before just keeping the window clean helps. I just use some vinegar now, which saves buying more products.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
I need 42 miles of range.
I see you have Canion, what is the reported Ah capacity of the battery ? Divide it into 45.8 to get the SoH...

When I first got my Ion Ah was at 39.9Ah (about 86% SoH) and the car would only manage about 43 miles in winter on my daily commute driven conservatively. (Not going above about 55)

By the time I sold it the battery was down to 32.5Ah and winter range was down to about 35 miles....on my 38 mile commute... :( (Thank goodness for Instavolt)

So if you "need" 42 miles of range in the winter you're going to struggle when the battery degrades.

Remember there's no heat pump in the Ion, and the resistance heater is very inefficient even among resistance heaters because it doesn't heat the air stream directly like in say a Leaf, it heats water (glycol coolant) and pumps that through a conventional heater matrix so there is a lot of additional heat loss and thermal mass to contend with. That and the lack of insulation in the car is why there is such a massive range hit in winter. (I saw a range loss of up to 40% vs summer figures)

The best thing you can do to increase range in the winter is buy a couple of heated seat covers which will let you keep the cabin temperature a bit lower as heated seat covers use basically no power compared to the main heater. (They also work when you're stopped to charge, unlike the main heater. :) )
The last part of the journey from my wife's work to home is 6miles. When she arrived today the car had just 8 miles left, so I went and swapped over EV's so she didn't need to worry if the car was misty inside.
Anyway I drove home and CanION said that I'd still got 20% battery remaining, and 8miles range. When I arrived home I was on 1 mile, but CanION says I still have 10% left.
So when should I expect to see the Turtle, and how far can I limp in that mode.
Turtle mode engages at about 10% SoC reported on Canion, so you were only a hairs whisker away from entering turtle mode. Once you're in turtle mode power and speed will be progressively limited and you've got about 2-4 miles of slow driving with the heater off before the car shuts off completely. (It turns off at 0% reported in Canion)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
At what point is any of this preferable to driving a similarly priced ICE 😆

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,916 Posts
Isn't this time to move on unless it is a "hobby" vehicle? The anxiety isn't worth the savings in cost/CO2, and adding a diesel heater is beginning to reduce the benefits further. Go to either the darkside of a Zoe or a LEAF.

Reactions: 80698

·
Registered
255 Posts
Isn't this time to move on unless it is a "hobby" vehicle? The anxiety isn't worth the savings in cost/CO2, and adding a diesel heater is beginning to reduce the benefits further. Go to either the darkside of a Zoe or a LEAF.
To be fair, a diesel heater uses basically no fuel. 1 hour of driving uses around 0.5L. You can also legally use red diesel which is half the price.

And the standard electrical heater still works so you can save the diesel for when your range is tight

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,916 Posts
Over 250,000 fast miles in my VW Passat Estate TDi I averaged a speed of 39 mph and 48 mpg which represents only 3.7 l/hour for traction and heating. But I take your point, you can delay the day when your daily usage in winter exceeds the available range from the degraded batteries.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Over 250,000 fast miles in my VW Passat Estate TDi I averaged a speed of 39 mph and 48 mpg which represents only 3.7 l/hour for traction and heating. But I take your point, you can delay the day when your daily usage in winter exceeds the available range from the degraded batteries.
Basically my situation now

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Loved my sporty chipped Passat, now that was a proper car to go travelling in :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Oil filled radiator run over night in the rear passenger footwell. When you disconnect it, put a folded blanket over it and push the front seat right back to jam it in, so it won't move in a crash.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Oil filled radiator run over night in the rear passenger footwell. When you disconnect it, put a folded blanket over it and push the front seat right back to jam it in, so it won't move in a crash.
Haha, like it, lol

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
I tried a 1.5kW oil filled radiator standing in the boot switched on a couple of hours before leaving but it wasn't anywhere near as good at defrosting the car as simply unplugging the car and running the heater for 10 minutes with the door locked with the spare key, which was my modus operandi in winter!

A fan heater would probably do a much better job but operating one unattended in the tight spaces of the car is a real fire risk so I never tried it...

I much prefer the plugged in timed preheating on the Leaf - it nicely dispatched this mornings snow and ice so I didn't even need to touch any of the windows, just straight into the car and away. :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I tried a 1.5kW oil filled radiator standing in the boot switched on a couple of hours before leaving but it wasn't anywhere near as good at defrosting the car as simply unplugging the car and running the heater for 10 minutes with the door locked with the spare key, which was my modus operandi in winter!

A fan heater would probably do a much better job but operating one unattended in the tight spaces of the car is a real fire risk so I never tried it...

I much prefer the plugged in timed preheating on the Leaf - it nicely dispatched this mornings snow and ice so I didn't even need to touch any of the windows.
Ditto. That's why I suggest over night. If you keep the car warm enough, it doesn't get misted in the first place.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts