Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So I'm looking at the 28kWh Ioniq and also the newer 38kWh model. As a private hire driver I need something that can deliver a reliable 130+ mile range daily.

My usual day consists of 90% city driving at an average of around 18mph. Most of the miles per kWh readings given here are for 90% motorway driving, which unfortunately doesn't give an accurate representation of what I could expect.

What sort of efficiency could I realistically expect for my driving? I'm looking for around 4.5-5 miles/kWh for it to be feasible to buy the old model.

Cheers.

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
43 Posts
I sort of agree with Toscal353. I would say yes it is achievable, and am a very big fan of the 28kWh , but reliably every day come rain and snow? Not sure about that. My lifetime is in the range you have specified (in fact comfortably over 5 kWh), but there will be days in the cold and dark that will test that guaranteed range. But even 15 mins on a fast charger will give you that guarantee, or 45-60 mins on a 7kw charger.... 330 out of 365 days you will probably be fine and not need it. Through most of the year my runs in and out of Cheltenham (mixed speeds but probably similar to those you have suggested) get me 5.5-6 ....driving sensibly and using no regen and a light-footed technique. You professional drivers paying the bills will be used to this and have no problem! I start every day after a full overnight charge on a 7kw home charger showing 153-155 range. Hope this helps

By the way, any reader can help themselves to my Octopus Energy referral code and get £50 off their energy bill when they switch. Just apply through this link;

share.octopus.energy/alive-mink-412

I used a link to get my £50 from a fellow speak EV person.... thank you again...every little bit helps!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Have you considered the 38kWh drive electric deal?

£199 £1794 initial rental. 5000 miles per year

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sort of agree with Toscal353. I would say yes it is achievable, and am a very big fan of the 28kWh , but reliably every day come rain and snow? Not sure about that. My lifetime is in the range you have specified (in fact comfortably over 5 kWh), but there will be days in the cold and dark that will test that guaranteed range. But even 15 mins on a fast charger will give you that guarantee, or 45-60 mins on a 7kw charger.... 330 out of 365 days you will probably be fine and not need it. Through most of the year my runs in and out of Cheltenham (mixed speeds but probably similar to those you have suggested) get me 5.5-6 ....driving sensibly and using no regen and a light-footed technique. You professional drivers paying the bills will be used to this and have no problem! I start every day after a full overnight charge on a 7kw home charger showing 153-155 range. Hope this helps

By the way, any reader can help themselves to my Octopus Energy referral code and get £50 off their energy bill when they switch. Just apply through this link;

share.octopus.energy/alive-mink-412

I used a link to get my £50 from a fellow speak EV person.... thank you again...every little bit helps!
Thanks for the detailed response. I am flexible with my shifts as I’m self employed, so the option to charge mid-shift at home or at the gym is always there. I’m thinking 130 miles in one go as worst case scenario, that’s all. In any case it would appear that the 28kWh might just be enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you considered the 38kWh drive electric deal?

£199 £1794 initial rental. 5000 miles per year
I was told they don’t allow any sort of private hire usage? Besides, I’d need around 30k annual mileage allowance to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response. I am flexible with my shifts as I’m self employed, so the option to charge mid-shift at home or at the gym is always there. I’m thinking 130 miles in one go as worst case scenario, that’s all. In any case it would appear that the 28kWh might just be enough.
This guy also uses an EV for his taxi business. It's a Leaf 40 with a similar range to the Ioniq. His vids are mainly about the performance of the car itself but he has coped quite well for years. Watch a few to get a feel of his experiences. I think that he uses his coffee/meal breaks to top up the charge though.

·
Registered
924 Posts
If you have options for a rapid charger then it gets done very quickly, especially if you find a 100kW charger, then it sucks up power at 60kW at low charge states. Lovely car. Never done lots of slow city driving with heating on for many hours so cannot help, but clearly able to go anywhere in any city.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well guys, I ended up buying an ex-demo 38kWh Premium in the end. 69 plate with under 2,000 miles on the clock for £27,500.

Collecting this week after cancelling my MG ZS EV order.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts