Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Ioniq in Dec 2017, now done 30,000 miles. Local driving with 300 mile trips every month (eventually again after Easter). With reliable charging points along my journey I see no reason to change. Charging is fast and reliable, no complex issues with needing to change expensive coolants or other maintenance tasks, no obvious battery degradation. There were not many sold, any other original owners happy and staying with the Ioniq?

·
Registered
2021 Citroën ë-C4 Shine Plus
156 Posts
I had mine from April 2017 to April 2019. If it hadn’t been leased, I probably would still have it now.

Car was great, drove well, loaded with kit (premium SE), everything worked - including the LKA in active mode which for me did make for more relaxed motorway driving when coupled with ACC including stop and go function. (used it a lot!).

I was more or less forced to go back to an Outlander by the stupidly long wait times for my preferred replacement which was a Kona, because I needed more range than that which was offered by the Ioniq.

Best thing about it was its efficiency. The range you could get from its 28kWh battery was quite remarkable. My electricity bill went up markedly when moving back to the Outlander.

The things that needed improvement to my mind are as follows;

Reverse camera - guide lines were not true to the car’s actual position. Dealer said “they’re all like that”. Such a well spec’d car deserved a 360° system IMO.

App - there wasn’t one!

Bluetooth phone integration - quality was awful. Not so bad if using CarPlay though.

And errrr... that was about it!

I would say that the first generation car would make an excellent second hand purchase for anyone looking for a runaround EV that is more than capable of going further afield on the odd occasion.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Premium SE
19 Posts
Bought my 2017 Premium SE in November 2019. I have been amazed by the efficiency, especially at higher speeds with the ability to travel over 100 miles at 70mph in good weather. Even in winter, 4.5 - 5 mi/kWh is still typical for a journey. Highest range I've ever had is a 160 mile journey with 36 miles remaining which is amazing for such a small battery.

I think one of the current limitations is waiting for the infrastructure to catch up with wide deployment of 150kW+ chargers in order to fully exploit the 60-69kW charging speeds these vehicles can achieve.

Plenty of kit to make journeys comfortable. Apple CarPlay works well and the GOM is a lot more accurate than the LEAF I had which is definitely helpful when planning a charge stop.

Overall I'm very happy with the car, hoping to keep it for a few more years.

·
RupesDotNet
11 Posts
Had my Premium SE since Feb 2018 and still really pleased with it. Despite the smaller battery it can still hold its head high amongst the competition due to the fantastic efficiency and the amount of kit that is included. Can't see myself swapping this first generation Ioniq for another BEV anytime soon.

·
Registered
253 Posts
... Highest range I've ever had is a 160 mile journey with 36 miles remaining which is amazing for such a small battery.
Wow that is a lot. What mileage is your car?
I only managed 110 miles maximum with 17% battery left in around 19°C. (32k miles on the clock).

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Premium SE
19 Posts
Wow that is a lot. What mileage is your car?
I will say it was a lot of work to get it to go that far. The temperature outside was 31 degrees, no air-con and strafing behind trucks mostly with some 70mph driving. Mileage at the time was about 7k, now just over 10k. Averaged 7.2 miles/kWh.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh
187 Posts
So much to like but as there's been a lot of talk in the forum about charging rates at low temperatures thought it would be worth showing these from an Ionity charge I did yesterday.
It crept up to 64kW by around 35% and stayed there until I unplugged at 50%

I left home with a battery temp of 2 deg and had done 98 miles when I plugged in.
I had 30 miles to go and ABRP said I'd arrive with 0% so I bottled it :)

That was mostly motorway at mid 50's mph but journey average was only around 48mph. Was trying to get it done in one go :cool:

Screenshot_20210126_181422_com.evnotify.app.jpg

Screenshot_20210126_181708_com.evnotify.app.jpg

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My battery gets up to 41c when on the second charge, but has never had cold or other related charge problems, except the obvious triple EH site failing. Good to know others are content and enjoying the drive.

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
118 Posts
I got my Ioniq in Dec 2017, now done 30,000 miles. Local driving with 300 mile trips every month (eventually again after Easter). With reliable charging points along my journey I see no reason to change. Charging is fast and reliable, no complex issues with needing to change expensive coolants or other maintenance tasks, no obvious battery degradation. There were not many sold, any other original owners happy and staying with the Ioniq?
I’m on 30k with 2018 car. Agree with you totally. No issues at all, and whilst we may get another ev, this one we will keep and replace our Mazda diesel. 150 mile range through summer without hypermiling. Aircon on, keeping up on dual carriageway etc.
Charging to get say 120 mile extra range on Instavolt or BP takes 25-30 minutes usually, so no need for bigger battery for me really. Nearly all charging done via Octopus Go overnight @ 5p, which suits this car perfectly.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,728 Posts
Historically I have always changed my cars before the 3 year MOT kicks in. I realise that I am always at the expensive end of depreciation but at the same time in an ICE I have avoided expensive consumables like tyres, exhausts, 12v batteries, brakes etc etc. I have kept that going with EVs but for the first time in many years I may change that and keep this Ioniq 28 for a longer period. Basically, I am unable to find another car that would offer the same features and economy within my normal change budget allocation. This is partly due to the low mileage caused by C-19 of course but even without that intervention it is hard to justify as the car is so competent and fills all of my needs.

Perhaps over the next few years there will be a settling down of new EV prices as well as a higher demand for low mileage 4/5 year old EVs that will close the man maths gap a bit. But for now I intend to ride it out for a while and for the first time in many years claw back some of that first day leaving the showroom depreciation hit.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A Kona would be £36k, so at least another £20k needed.

In a few years, when the Ioniq 5 has settled and standard 2 wheel drive is available i may change, but another 2 years of warranty for me. 2 new tyres so far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We have had our Ioniq from 05-2019 and really have no need to sell our car for a cheaper or a more expensive one. The depreciation has been brutal (from 39k euros down to 23,5k euros) so I would in fact have to pay to get rid of the car.
Luckily the car is nice to drive and own. We have had two rear door handle trim pieces brake and the charging port jam several times. The handles were dealt with well (only need to call up a service time and the hadle swapped in one go) but the charging port has been a different story. The dealer just fobbed us of by claiming it is due to ice in the charge port (imagine ice in the charging port when the weather has been +10C). But I won't let it go. I'm just a bit worried we could be stranded on the road when the port fails for good on a fast charger! To this day a yank on the emergency release has done the trick and the locking claw has engaged to allow charging.

In Finland for some reason there is no automatically dipping head beams and the high beams are below inadequate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts