Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 38, 2021
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m just about to take delivery of my new 38kw Ioniq in fluidic metal. Really looking forward to trying it out.

In the past I’ve had a Leaf 40 that charged with chademo on the Ecotricity network without a problem, but I hear a lot about Ecotricity’s unreliability.

Has anyone had problems charging their Ioniq 38 using CCS?

thanks

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
The Ioniq should be fine with most of the dual head CCS Chargers, but I think there is still a bug with Hyundai cars on their triple head chargers which causes the charge session to terminate after 6 minutes.

It's only a temporary thing though. Within a few months all the DBT Chargers will be long gone with Gridserve's new rapids installed nationwide to replace them.

Now you have lost the reliability of Chademo, I would say just stick to the alternatives until the replacements are installed. Instavolt and Osprey are a good option. Very reliable, contactless credit card payments, and often 2+ Chargers installed per location.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I generally use ecotricity chargers. There is a standard 45 time limit on them and I think only on one occasion it has stopped before then.A couple of times I have turned up and could not make a connection.. Even if apps say the charger is not working when you turn up it is on free vend and works.
Problems are although multiple connectors on charger (CCS/chademo/AC) only one car can charge at a time .but said above new chargers are coming and with multiple posts and I believe the newer chargers will charge 2 cars at once, so looks like bye bye free vend.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38, 2021
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone... I'm about to change from a Kona 64 to an Ioniq 38 as we don't need the range anymore. Looks like I don't need to avoid Electric Highway after all!

Anyone else had any problems?

Cantanalegod - 43kW seems a reasonable speed in the early stages of charging, with a smaller battery than the Kona, a lower charge speed overall isn't something I'm worried about. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Some of the early Ioniq 38s will be subject to the battery recall/swap/whatever that the Konas are going through. Have a trawl on ioniqforum.com, details of the car build-dates & numbers are in there somewhere! Mine's a 2019 build, probably one of he first 38s, so is affected. H recommend stick to max 90% SOC charging until it's sorted. FWW although a few Konas caught fir while charging, as far as is known no Ioniqs have. So I'm not losing any sleep!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts